Scheduled for a bracioplasty and a panni 9/8/09!-Long post!

MollyMH
on 9/1/09 9:02 am - Sacramento, CA
Hello-  I am finally starting my persona reconstruction! Had RNY in May 2004, lost 234 lbs, still have about 100 to go. I am 55. (Hard to believe my age...LOL, I do not feel it!)
My arms have been an embarrassment and problem forever. My stomach a nuisance, and a pain due to rashes,etc. Could cover up my stomach better- but it has still bothered me a great deal.
Actually felt less comfortable with my body image as I lost the weight! Guess I had selected vision before and could keep myself focused or unfocused on certain parts of my body.
Started my plastic surgery search last Spring. Got approved for a brach and a panni. Could not find a plastic surgeon in my area who would accept the insurance. All wanted complete payment up front and I would get back what I could from insurance. Found a fantastic plastic surgeon in San Francisco who accepts insurance for the reconstructive surgery! His name is Dr. Kenneth Bermudez.
Not to trash anyone, but first plastic surgeon I saw was in a very posh office. He had a nurse/salesperson who met with me first, He came in for 10 minutes, told me what he could do, could not quote prices or discuss the future, nurse/salesperson took photos and continued process. Then I was taken in to the money office for the deal! If I scheduled that day, I got a rebate. I liked the doctor and he website and stuff were very flashy. I am sure he does great work- but it was not for me.
Got a personal reference to Dr. Bermudez. What a refreshing difference. He has a great office staff but he spent a great deal of time with me telling me what to do now, what I should wait on, and answered all my questions. He took my pictures and continued to answer any and all my 1000 questions. Had to refile insurance. Anthem Blue Cross. They approved arms and disapproved panni- said it was a clerical error before that it was approved. Have not had a great feeling about the insurance people and their denial process! All the while, Doctor and his staff have been great. His office is nice- but he is a surgeon first and foremost and does not hustle other procedures or products. In truth, I like that.
Most of all, I like him, trust him and feel that he has been upfront and honest with me. All references I checked were positive.
So- since I am limited to time off, I decided (with the help of my great husband, to do the panni as well. I will need an abdominoplasty-TT when I finish losing, but this is the right thing for now.
Will I go back to Dr. Bermudez in the future. Absolutely as long I can afford. If I win the lottery- no questions asked! If not, Ole....here I come to PS out of the country!  I will keep you all updated. I am proud of the brave women who post their before pics...cannot handle that...but will try to post some after. So...Tuesday, Sept 8....7 AM pacific time- light candles, chant, pray and think great thoughts for me. I welcome them all!
Molly
(deactivated member)
on 9/1/09 9:37 am
Congratulations on your upcoming reconstruction!

The "sales" vs. "surgery" thing is off-putting, isn't it!!!  And isn't it also very odd that insurance companies never seem to accidentally make clerical errors in OUR favor, HMmmmmm?

MollyMH
on 9/1/09 9:58 am - Sacramento, CA
You are so right
Thanks for your support. This board is great!
PatMBo
on 9/1/09 11:08 am - Elizabethtown, KY
Congratulations, Molly!! I am so happy for you & wish you the VERY  best!  I was curious about your insurance covering your brachioplasty?? I would LOVE for mine to be covered.....so if you have any suggestions on how to make that happen would you PLEASE pass that info along?? THANKS!!! And, please, keep us posted on yoru progress!!! I'll be remembering you ont he  8th & saying prayers that all goes well!!!

MollyMH
on 9/1/09 11:30 am - Sacramento, CA
Hello- and thanks for the good wishes.
If I were not so vain and embarassed by them, I would post a pic. I have a huge amount of skin and droopy fat on my arms. I will most likely have to have them done again sometime according to the PS. So, in my case, I think the picture was more than the insurance could handle! For once, what I saw equivalent to the elephant man's hump worked in my favor. My blouse size is 2-3 sizes larger due to my arms. Not sure if that helps or not.
The irony is that I thought my panni would be a sure thing- I get constant infections no matter how clean I am! (Trust me on this, I am a clean freak about personal things).The pictures were taken in the middle of a major rash/infection. That they denied as it was deemed cosmetic!
At this point, I am blessed to have the arms covered and to be able to move forward`- even with private pay.
Thanks and good luck to you too.
molly
Loris
on 9/1/09 1:22 pm - Midlothian, VA
You may want to appeal the panni after the fact.  Good luck and continued success to you.  Loris

Loris  344/119@ 5'2" Below Goal                    
                                     Lower body lift  10/17/2007
                                     Upper body lift     1/23/2008

DEBI R.
on 9/1/09 4:17 pm - CORSICANA, TX
Good luck with your surgery Molly, I'll be praying for you.
Debi

____debi__________200.jpg image by tunie_2006 item11.jpg image by tunie_2006      

minuature pinscher 

Iam_with_the_Band
on 9/3/09 2:24 pm

Good Luck Molly!
I am having a TT and Arm Lift in December.  I am on my last 100 lbs - so I know I'll have to have a revision after I get to goal.  My panni is so huge that I have a lot of back problems.  I'm a nurse and work 12 hour nights, it's unbearable by the end of the long shift.  My arms sound like yours.  I could wear an XL, but instead I wear a 4xl because my arms are massive.
Good Luck! I'll be praying for your safe surgery and trouble free recovery!

12/09 and 6/11, 9 skin removal procedures with Dr. Sauceda in Monterrey Mexico
Revised to the Sleeve after losing 271 lbs with the LapBand. 

Most Active