blood clots

speicallady
on 9/1/09 9:03 am - bronx, NY
hello everyone
today I came back from the doctor and received his ok to workout.
it has been a long road, and I am happy to be at this point
three weeks out feeling so much better
last week i had to go back into the hospital because I had a traveling  blood clot
and my bp was really low.  but after six days and finally able to come
home I am doing fine. 
i just plan to walk a little bit for the first couple of weeks

thank everyone for their support
DEB
DrL
on 9/1/09 10:49 am - Houston, TX
A blood clot can be serious ! Did it travel to your lungs ?  Glad you are doing OK now.
John LoMonaco, M.D., F.A.C.S.
Plastic Surgery
Houston, Texas

www.DrLoMonaco.com
www.BodyLiftHouston.com
speicallady
on 9/1/09 11:00 am - bronx, NY
thank God no, it was caught in time.  it started at my toe and travel up to my knee,
i have to take coumadin tablets everynight  and was giving myself the shots in the morning, my blood levels are monitored everyday. 

Debra
(deactivated member)
on 9/1/09 11:13 am - West Central FL☼RIDA , FL
OMG , this is my biggest fear!
How did you know you had the clot??

Redhaired
on 9/1/09 2:25 pm - Mouseville, FL
When I had the clot in my leg my only symptom was a cramping pain that got progressively worse. 

speicallady
on 9/1/09 1:43 pm - bronx, NY
the clot was on the side of my right knee, and I was able to feel it, and i was lucky that my knee was swollen

Deb
DrL
on 9/2/09 5:34 am - Houston, TX
Glad you caught it in time !  Anybody who had had surgery with any kind of reduced activity level (like a TT or LBL) needs to be especially aware of leg swelling, pain, or cramping on one side greater than the other, or any breathing difficulties.

Risk factors to be aware of are prior blood clot, hormonal therapy, bad varicose veins, smoking, and trips over 4 hours or so after surgery.  In patients who have these elevated risk factors, I use a low dose blood thinner before, during, and after surgery as a preventative.
John LoMonaco, M.D., F.A.C.S.
Plastic Surgery
Houston, Texas

www.DrLoMonaco.com
www.BodyLiftHouston.com
Melissa M.
on 9/2/09 2:04 pm - Seabrook, TX
Thank god it was caught in time!  My Drs gave me a prescription for a blood thinner that I injected into my thighs every day for the first 5 days after my LBL just as a precaution.  I ended up going to the ER the day I got out of the hospital because the whole side of my leg was cramping and went down my calf.  It turned out to be nothing but I was so glad they did the ultrasound anyway just to be sure.  You can't play with that stuff!
speicallady
on 9/2/09 10:48 pm - bronx, NY
it really is not something to play with
my blood level are taken everyday
and I was also giving myself shots in the stomach
and taking med at night.  I will be followed for the next 3 months
this will change how i have any surgery in the future

Debra
Most Active