does anyone know?

MIA'S MEMA B.
on 8/31/09 11:23 pm - SOMEWHERE, NJ
of an after care facility  or home care agency.   I live alone and have no help.    I will be having surgery  on 9/14 for abdomino and arms.    If i am unable to locate help then will have to have my breasts done instead of arms.   also, what should i have on hand prior to surgery.  Any help would be greatly appreciated.  Thanks,    you folks are the greatest.
(deactivated member)
on 9/1/09 12:52 am - West Central FL☼RIDA , FL
I'd call your surgeon and PCP to start with.  Ask them which Rehab center they would recommend.
I found a bunch doing on-line searches too.... look for "post op nursing care" and stuff like that.  You can also usually find them listed in the yellow pages (the old fashioned way).  Call the local Nursing Homes, they normally have "sister sites" that do rehab for post-op patients.   I could give you a long list of them on Long Island and Queens, NY but I don't really know NJ....SORRY!

Hope that helps a little....
TTFN
Ruth
BigCityGirl
on 9/1/09 1:59 am - San Diego, CA
Your surgeon will know of in home care.  It's the least expensive and the best from what I've been told by people who've used it. 
Surgeon: Joseph Grzeskiewicz, M.D., F.A.C.S.
La Jolla Cosmetic Surgery Centre
Redhaired
on 9/1/09 3:47 am - Mouseville, FL
Talk to your doc about ordering this for you if your insurance is covering the surgery.  Even if all you can get is someone to come in to help you bathe and such that will make a huge difference. 
My best advice would be to have food that is easy to prepare and lightweight (ie a pint or quart of milk instead of a half gallon).  Also be sure that before you leave that you put all of the things that you think you will need to eat or prepare food on a table or counter so that you do not have to reach for it.  For me once I was discharged from the hospital after my arm surgery I did not have very much pain and I was moving them pretty good.  I just avoided anything heavy and reaching for things overhead.  Oh and another thing -- I have a OXO Good Grips jar opener that is an absolute god send.  I use it on everything even soda bottles.  It looks like this:

Oxo Good Grips Jar Opener

Red

Most Active