Did you/would you have waited to have plastic surgery?

brownblonde
on 8/30/09 11:52 am
 I actually haven't even had my WLS yet but I'm excited and restless so I've been spending countless hours on this site.

Anyway, I am almost positive I will have lots of excess saggy skin at least in my stomach area.  I have read some plastic surgery sites that recommend waiting on the tummy tuc****il you've had kids and, well, that makes good sense.  However, part of the reason I'm gettting WLS now as opposed to later is because I'm 22 and I want to feel youthful while I am, so holding off on correcting the stomach seems like missing the whole point.  What are your thoughts on the issue?  I would love nothing more than to play a game of beach volleyball or hot tub in a bikini and I'd feel a lot less comfortable doing that if, when I reach goal weight I should have excess skin.
(deactivated member)
on 8/30/09 1:39 pm
Okay, you asked, so here it is --

1)  Get WLS (if that's your intention and your health/cir****tances permit);

THEN . . .

2)  After your weight has stabilized, start getting consultations with highly recommended reconstructive surgeons, and ask them what THEY think.

There are a bazillion women out there who have nips and tucks, here and there, all the time.  I don't know how they manage it, but they do.  And THEN.... whoop-dee-doo---- they have another kid.  Not a crisis.  

But the experts are the experts, so ask THEM!

Good luck on your journey!

Road Less Travelled
on 8/30/09 2:43 pm
VSG on 12/13/10 with
my .02

get WLS
when you've lost then have the TT

if you have children - great, you might be OK with a little budge, if not get another TT

know at 46 I wish I could have made those decisions at 22 - my life would have been so different

ps -- I didn't have kids until I was 38 --- long time to be with a saggy belly :-)

July 2007 = lap band ...Sept 2010: lap band removed....Dec 2010 VSG
HW: 283... VSG SW: 244 ..  got down to 170 -- now at 193 and "back on track" ....GW: 155

sanguinarythorn
on 8/30/09 10:28 pm - Newport News, VA
I was 20 when I had my GB. I was 23 when I had my first baby. One of the things that really bothered me when I was pregnant was having all the sagging skin hanging from my baby bump. I couldn't ever enjoy it unless I pulled the skin up and looked at the belly underneath. It's silly, but one of the reasons I had my TT now was so I could enjoy my baby bump with the next baby. Not only that but, I'm only 24 now. I want to enjoy a tight skinny body while I'm young. I mean, I just wore a bikini for the first time yesterday in my whole life! I've waited 24 years to wear a bikini!!! I'm so glad I didn't wait any longer.

My surgeon and I talked at great length about the fact that I'm not done having kids before I had my TT. He decided to use absorbable suters on the muscle tightening so I won't rip and tear through the muscle when I get pregnant next time. I know my skin might stretch a little with pregnancy, that's what NORMAL people do... but I know it won't ever stretch the point that it was. That's what's important to me.
Redhaired
on 8/31/09 10:26 pm - Mouseville, FL
Get the weight off and then see what happens.  Your plastic surgeon will be able to advise you on all of this.  Chances are this will turn out to be a non-issue.  And even if for some reason the full TT is inadviseable, there is always a panniculectomy.  That is a procedure where the excess skin is removed but the muscles are not tightened.  As my Mother used to say, "don't borrow trouble." 

Red 

Most Active