Insurance approval for PS received! Am I dreaming?

GregNE
on 8/28/09 1:34 pm, edited 8/28/09 3:19 pm - Omaha, NE
I don't see much reported by guys seeking post-WLS plastics, but thought I should share.

Had consult last week with a Plastic Surgeon that is on my bariatric surgeon's recommended list. I further chose him after talking to someone that had PS with a different doc, and said if she could go back, she would have chosen this doc instead.

I discussed and he concurred that a moob job (breast tissue reduction) and tummy tuck were probably the problem areas that I should address due to excess skin/fat.  I asked also, and he confirmed, that he would also remove the excess fat from my pubic area as part of the tummy tuck.

I inquired about his opinion as to whether insurance might cover the moob job due to gynecomastia.  He said in his opinion, we would not get that covered.  He thought there was a chance that the panni would be covered

Well, received a letter from  insurance a couple of days ago stating they were reviewing the preauthorization request and they would have answer in 14 days.  Today there was a letter in my box also from ins company, saying approval is granted for both procedure.

I  never thought they would approve either procedure due to cosmetic exclusion in policy, let along both.  My WLS surgeon thought they might cover=Breast tissure, but never the TT.

They approved 4 procedures:
19300/removal of breast tissue)
19300-50/bilaternal removed of breast tissue
15830/exc skin abd
15847exc skin abd

They have me approved until 2/26/10 for getting it done.

So guys, you might not have posted much lately, but I know you lurk and read these reports, so wanted to express that some insurance is taking a sympathetic stance

Redhaired
on 8/28/09 1:48 pm - Mouseville, FL
Wow that is terrific, congratulations.  I hope your surgery goes well and that you have wonderful results.

Red

BTW:  Sorry I did not get to see you when I was in Omaha.  Perhaps when we come back for DH's six month check up in January we can get together.

(deactivated member)
on 8/28/09 4:31 pm
Congratulations  on your approval.  I thought my insurance BC/BS of New Jersey would never pay for my tummy tuck either, but they did.  So, I agree with you, maybe the insurance companies are beginning to see the two surgeries goes together.

Good luck on your upcoming surgery.

Sherline
GregNE
on 8/28/09 10:25 pm - Omaha, NE
Perhaps the photo of my bare abdomen gained the reviewer's sympathy :).

huskerfan85
on 8/30/09 3:22 am - Colorado Springs, CO
On August 29, 2009 at 5:25 AM Pacific Time, GregNE wrote:
Perhaps the photo of my bare abdomen gained the reviewer's sympathy :).
Pictures are invaluable, they asked for more medical intervention for me before they would approve, then a week later approved as they said they view the pictures and deemed it medically necessary.
Gayle  6'2" 

trenya07
on 8/28/09 5:35 pm - East Coast, NC

what insurance company are you with?

**************75 lbs lost 25 lbs to Goal and One Year Bandversary!!****************
GregNE
on 8/28/09 10:26 pm - Omaha, NE
BCBS Federal

(deactivated member)
on 8/28/09 10:21 pm - West Central FL☼RIDA , FL
Hey that's terrific..........CONGRATULATIONS on your weight loss and upcoming plastics.
And good for you having the courage to post here......maybe some other guys will follow your lead.

Jupiter6
on 8/29/09 2:21 pm - Near Media, Pa- South of Philly, NJ
Men tend to get approved much more often than women--- which is really aggravating.

"Oh sweet and sour Jesus, that is GOOD!" - Stephen Colbert  Lap RNY 7/07-- Lap Gallbladder 5/08--  
     Emergency Bowel Repair
6/08 -Dr. Meilahn, Temple U.  
 Upper and Lower Bleph/Lower Face Lift 
12/08 
     Fraxel Repair 2/09-- Lower Bleph Re-Do 5/09  -Dr. Pontell, Media PA  Mastopexy/Massive 
     Brachioplasty/ Extended Abdominoplasty 
(plus Mons Lift and Upper Leg lift) / Hernia Repair
      6/24/09 ---Butt Lift and Lateral Thighplasty Scheduled 7/6/10
 - Dr. Ivor Kaplan VA Beach

Total Cost: $33,500   Start wt: 368   RNY wt: 300  Goal wt: 150   Current wt: 148.2  BMI: 24.7

Most Active