So i wasnt planning on it...but whats your experience on travelling?

Hilary P.
on 8/27/09 5:36 am - Decatur, AL
Travelling to have my plastics was never really an option for me. Ive never really even thought about it. It still may not be, but i do want to weigh the pros and cons of it.After doing some research ive noticed its more common. I have seen NUMEROUS people talk about Dr Sauceda and other people have travelled for another surgeon. What ulimately made you chose to travel? How long did you have to stay away? what about follow up visits and such?

I am a little nervous about travelling because what if something happens while im here? I mean, i assume that i would just go to the hospital like a normal person...but i wouldnt have a surgeon here to call? right? Sorry i know that seems clueless but these are my concerns.

Also, im a single mom to a 5 year old. I have wonderful family that he could stay with but im a little leary of leaving him for weeks at a time, hence why im wondering about the time you stay in mexico, or other places.

I really would just like your overall experience with travelling. It only started to cross my mind when i started thinking hard core abou this process. Ultimately i want to get off atleast 30 more lbs before i start BUT there is only 2 PS in Decatur. There are a few in Huntsville which is about 30 minutes or so away. Thats not a huge deal. i will be self pay and i know travelling to Mexico is cheaper. PLUS i'd like multiple surgeries in one shot. Most surgeons in this area wont combine.

Im rambling but i really just wanted to know your experience and/or opinions.

Chris D
on 8/27/09 6:31 am - Prince Rupert, Canada
RNY on 10/01/08 with
In my opinion, travelling to Mexico is a great thing.  I want an EXPERT in the line of WLS plastics.  I don't want someone who has only seen the saggy skin etc. once or twice (if that)  I believe that WLS plastics are different to your standard plastics patient, but again, that is only my opinion.  I am also a single parent, although my kids are alot older.  I'm not sure if it is worse leaving a 5 yr old with great family support or leaving a 18 yr old at home alone  lol.  I loved my time in Puerto Vallarta when I had RNY.  It was for ME!.  Being a single mom, I have spent the last 10 + yrs giving everything I have and everything I am to my kids.  I needed the break and the me time.  I went alone and met the most incredible woman who had surgery a day after me.  

I am looking forward to my trip in December to Monterrey Mexico.  I will most likely be alone but that doesn't really bother me.  I trust Dr. S. and his staff will take great care of me.  My PCP is aware of my wishes to travel again.  He was thrilled with my results from the RNY and supports me completely with the next stage (hopefully the final stage). 

(deactivated member)
on 8/27/09 7:35 am - West Central FL☼RIDA , FL
Hi!
Here are some of the things I took into consideration when decided IF I would travel and if so, how far.

~Travel expense.......how much more will this add to the overall cost of surgery?
~How long does the surgeon want you to stay in his area?
~Do you have to find a kennel for your dog or cat?
~BIG thing to think about........Aftercare........who is going to provide your aftercare once you are home?  If you pop stitches or get an infection or a seroma who will care for you?  Some surgeons won't welcome you with open arms; since they did not do the surgery they don't want to clean up the mess.  BUT if you are lucky and find one who will care for you, how much will it cost?  If your surgeon is local ALL of your post-op care is free....it's part of the surgery you paid for.  Soooooo if you are going to go to another surgeon for help be prepared to pay for it out of pocket.  I know for a fact that some folks who traveled for surgery had to get local aftercare which cost them a couple thousand dollars! (And I'm not talking about people who traveled out of the US....they traveled within the U.S. but out of their local area).
~Travel back home after surgery.........are you going to feel well enough to fly after surgery?  That's a long time to sit in a tiny seat with little leg room.  How about pushing thru the airport......OUCH!  (Tip - if you do decide to fly request wheelchair assistance on the return trip).

This is just my 2 cents.  It's based purely on the stories I've heard from many people who did travel and the research I did on my own.

Best wishes to you as you make your decision.

Most Active