Drains

(deactivated member)
on 8/26/09 9:12 pm
I had surgery on Monday the 24th. I have two drains, but there's very liitle suction.  Could this mean I don't have any fluid left in me to drain? 

How much fluid did you have?  I would like to think it's a good thing, but I'm not sure.  I go see my doctor on Tuesday; he suppose to take them out then.

Thanks in advance for your replies.

Sherline
sanguinarythorn
on 8/26/09 10:35 pm - Newport News, VA
Is there very little suction, or just very little fluid coming out?

If it's just very little fluid then it's probably time to take the drains out. If it's very little suction, you might be letting the drains get too full, or you're not squeezing them enough when you empty them and close them.

Every one drains differently. Some people barely drain at all and are ready to get their drains out at the first or second post-op appt. Some people (like me) drain for WEEKS. I had my last drain taken out at 4 weeks even though it obviously wasn't done draining (average of 100-150ccs a day), I begged the Dr to take it out, and he did. I've had to have my seroma drained 4 times since (by having a needle inserted into my incision and sucking out all the fluid underneath- each time they get about 150-200ccs). Now, at 6 weeks, the draining is finally coming to an end, thank GOD. My Dr. said that next time he was going to put another drain in, so luckily it looks like that won't have to happen now!

MSHAMO
on 8/27/09 12:40 am - AUBURN HILLS, MI
Make sure that your drains are suctioning and also that you are stripping your drains. I had lots of fluid in the first few days. Nobody tells you about stripping the drains. Good luck, you will love your plastics!!!
High/VSG/Surgeon Goal/My Goal/Current 257/242/170/155/141  I love my sleeve!
5' 3.5"    Plastic Surgeon: Dr. Raymond Hajjar, Bingham Farms, MI   Extended TT, muscle repair, lipo & hernia repair 2/25/09  Direct neck lift and muscle repair  4/14/09  Short scar lower face lift, more neck work and lower bleph 9/15/09
(deactivated member)
on 8/27/09 5:53 am
Well, I went to see my doctor this afternoon because my drains are not suctioning.  He stated that everything looked fine and when I return on Tuesday he will remove the drains.  He also stated he may take some of  the fluid out manually with  a syringe.

Anyway, I love what I saw; the belly looks amazing to me and breast are actually standing up on their own!!  I can't wait to see them at six weeks post-op.

Sherline
Most Active