panni removal and tummy tuck

trishy
on 8/26/09 11:18 am
I am trying to figure out the difference in the panni removal and a full TT with anchor cut.  My understanding is that the panni removal will be the same type of cut as an anchor cut, same amount of skin removal, but without the muscle tightening.  The muscle tightening will actually be the "tummy tuck"... is that correct or an I missing a step?

Also, I am wondering if anyone knows the cost difference between a panni and a full TT???

Revision Band to Sleeve scheduled 10/29

kerniec
on 8/26/09 12:11 pm, edited 8/26/09 12:12 pm - Dayton, OH
VSG on 07/22/14
Trishy

The big reason why people go Panni vs. TT is because insurance, with proof of medical skin issues, will often pay for all of a Panni but the TT portion can cost about $4K  I think I have read..........there's more anesthesia, it's not just the surgeon's $$ you're talking about, because you are under longer.  That's my understanding from lurking here.....and from the LW board.

I am in the "odd" position of not being able to get a panni from my lap-band surgeon, he will repair a hernia and do a panni, but he said I don't have enough skin, I would need a TT or I would be unhappy with the results. 

I'm gonna work my core and see what i can do with my "upper" tummy because that's where my fat is.  I have almost nothing in the skin below.  Just a small apron, not worse than many people have who have had two babies.  I had mine MO so I consider myself lucky.

275 SW 8/5/08LB 165MW 2009-11, LB complications 2010-14

7-22-14 Revision LB to VSG 212SW/192CW/159GW  HT 5'7"

andrea7374
on 8/26/09 1:05 pm - ND
I must be lucky! My surgeon is doing the panni removal and does the muscle tightening too at no cost to me!! :)  Insurance is paying for all but possibly 396!! 
Loris
on 8/26/09 1:44 pm - Midlothian, VA
A panni removal by definition only addresses the skin below the navel and above the pubis.  It uses a horizontal incision.  If a surgeon says he will do a mons lift or an anchor cut with it, get it in writing.  A tummy tuck includes muscle tightening, but does not include an anchor cut unless it is specified in the paper you sign.  Same with the mons lift.  Loris

Loris  344/119@ 5'2" Below Goal                    
                                     Lower body lift  10/17/2007
                                     Upper body lift     1/23/2008

Redhaired
on 8/26/09 11:59 pm, edited 8/27/09 12:02 am - Mouseville, FL
You will want to ask your surgeon exactly what he/she will be doing.  I think by definition the panniculectomy only removes the skin and fat below the navel ie the apron.  The TT includes the muscle tightening.  I do not think an anchor cut is part of the panniculectomy, we see the anchor cut more associated with the TT,  but here again this varies from surgeon to surgeon.

Red

ETA:  I found this definition.  I guess it can include an anchor cut.

http://www.docshop.com/education/cosmetic/body/tummy-tuck/pa nniculectomy/

The Panniculectomy Procedure

Panniculectomy is an invasive surgical procedure which can take from three to five hours to complete, and always requires at least one overnight stay at the hospital. Unlike abdominoplasty, panniculectomy does not tighten muscle or reposition the belly button. It only removes the excess skin and fat of the pannus from the lower abdomen, using a horizontal incision that runs from hip to hip with a downward curve, and a vertical incision from below the sternum to the pubic area. After overhanging skin and fat are removed, the remaining skin is pulled tight and sutured together.

(deactivated member)
on 8/27/09 3:29 am - West Central FL☼RIDA , FL
The "Anchor Cut" is not part of the definition of removing the panni.  The panni removal is just taking off the skin.  A Tummy Tuck (regardless if it is the anchor cut or just the horizontal cut) normally includes muscle tightening.

If you meet your insurances criteria they might pay for the panni removal you then could pay the difference to get the muscle tightening if you want it.

Hope that helps.....
Most Active