BL/BA question

juliemomto2
on 8/25/09 1:59 pm
Newvie to this particular forum, had a PS consult today and was surprised when I was told my breast lift and breast augmentation would need to be done separately?  I really liked this surgeon and everything else he said made perfect, logical sense to me.  This did too in a way but I just had not heard this and wanted thoughts, please.  His reasoning - my breast lift is going to have to be "major", in other worse the nipples have a long way to travel to reach the appropriate spot, ROTFLMAO!  So, because that is essentially going AGAINST gravity, and the augmentation will add weight and kind of "fight" the lift, he would do them separately.  I would have an extended tummy tuck""" and the lift first, then have my thighs and BA later as the second stage, possible arms.

***(I *almost* need a full LBL but he thinks I should avoid the circumferential incisions if possible and deal with my saggy/nonexistent butt later and I can't say that sounds all bad...the idea of being stiched up all the way around does sound like a painful thing to recover from - thoughts on this would be great too, though!) 

Also, this was my 2nd consult - I did not like the first guy much and would not go to him.  Both though have told me that 6 hours is their max OR time.  So for those of you who have had so much done at once, please help me out with why some surgeons WILL do more at a time?  (Jupiter if you see this you are one of the ones I am thinking of here but I am sure there are many more.)

Thanks in advance for any feedback on the above, or any other suggestions for that matter....Also, I will be 100% self pay so I am looking to minimize expenses.......I am almost 39 if that matters, lol.

blueigrl
on 8/26/09 3:39 am - port st lucie, FL
I just did tt w/ breast list 8/6, and will get implants in November.  I too would have liked to get it all over at once, but the Dr says, and i feel very confident with him, the results will be much better in 2 procedures.  I had a 36DD before and with the lift, I'm a 36 big b/small c...and that's still with swelling.  Obviously i had a lot of excess skin (i lost 65 lbs).  i do think the Dr is right because you can only ask your skin to do so much at once, plus it is much harder to predict final result when they do both lift and implant together. Those procedures do work against one another.  In the last 2 1/2 weeks i can see my boobs have changed a lot.  i think our docs are right, i think some docs do it at once almost out of greed, in case you don't come back for round 2, (just my guess),plus my Dr says you need to see exactly what your dealing with before the implants so the result are even, so healing needs to take place first.  i think the scaring will look better long term, with 2 rounds of surgery.  but it's hard to have patience.  I'm 36 and self pay as well.  The extended tt was a tough recovery, but the breasts were no big deal for me.  The implants will be put in on a Thursday and I'll be back at work on Monday.  Dr says that if i had a much smaller cup size before, he would do them together, but not in my case.  Go with you gut, and good luck.Jo
juliemomto2
on 8/27/09 4:38 am
Thanks, interesting that the two replies were "one of each" - obviously not a black and white area!  Good luch to you on the implants.....are you doing silicone or saline?  I have not given that much thought yet but will at some point I guess.

My situation has changed since I posted so getting ready to throw another question out there now...

Thanks again!

workingmommy
on 8/26/09 3:04 pm
RNY on 12/10/07 with
I had a BL/BA and Brachio on 7/14.  I was in the O/R for 9 hrs. I too asked about the BA and BL as seperate procedures.  My surgeon feels that doing the procedure in two parts is an antiquated idea (not knocking anyone else!).  Also, it could end up running you more money in the long run because when you have separate procedures, you are going to have to pay for 2 surgeries, 2 anesthesiologist's fees, and 2 surgical center/hospital fees.  I really like results that I have with my proedure.  However, each PS is different and if you like this one then you can trust his opinion and judgment.  Good luck!

April

160 lbs lost to date!
LBL: 6/10/09
BL/BA/Brachio: 7/14/09
MTL: 6/17/10

juliemomto2
on 8/27/09 4:57 am
Wow, 9 hours is a while....I am FRUGAL, so getting it all done at once appeals to that side of me.  :  -)    So glad to hear you are happy with what you had done.  I look forward to the end result but DREAD the recovery....

My situation has changed since I posted so getting ready to throw another question out there now...

Thanks again!

Most Active