full body lift questions

so_1122
on 8/23/09 2:13 am
Long story here but I had always thought I would have plastics in separate operations that was until my dad passed away this past July. He was given VRE Blood Disease while a stay in a hospital which ate him from inside out until he was too weak to live. So making my story short is I am scared to death to have more surgery. I am so glad I had had my bypass before we found out what he was so sick from or I may have chickened out from having my RNY. So needless to say I am very nervous about any surgery but I also know I am very unhappy with all the extra skin.(Yes it is much better then all the extra weight I had on me....but) So I am thinking ONE surgery, a total body lift would be my best choice. My questions for you that have had this done....

If you had to do it all over again would you?
The cost and area you are in?
What is the pain like?
How long were you off of work?
How long was your hosptal stay?
and.....any other information you think I will need to know when my time gets here. I am 18 pounds from goal...so I am planning ahead now. THANKS in advance!! Please reply here or private message me....

~Sheri

Zeldarin
on 8/23/09 6:17 am - IN
Hi Sheri,  I totally relate to what you are saying.  As a nurse I know the risks associated with a hospital stay.  Risks like VRE and MRSA which unfortunately are all too common in America today.  I have been looking at more clinic type environments instead of "hospitals" for my surgery to see if they have lower infrection rates, but I haven't found any evidence of this yet.  I am also looking at Mexico and can't find any data on their nosocomial infection rates.  I will keep digging and post as I find things.  I also want to do my surgery all at once, my only concern is the longer the surgery, the higher the risk and it is a very long surgery when you do it all at once.  I advise you to do lots of reading and research ahead of time so you know exactly what the facts are!  Good luck to you!  Robin

HW/SW/CW/GOAL
217/206/145/136
Plastics with Dr. Sauceda April 8th/2010
Mini AL, Mini TT, Medial TL, BA, Lipo

Jupiter6
on 8/23/09 7:59 am - Near Media, Pa- South of Philly, NJ
Having had multiple procedures and a lengthy time on table, I can tell you this much:

1) Getting it all over with IS a major plus
2) You tend to save a good chunk of change that way

However---

1) Not all surgeons are willing or able to do procedures that can exceed 12 hours in the OR
2) Not all bodies can withstand that much work/pain
3) Multiple procedures will not just multiply your pain but make you very incapacitated and dependent on others for a long period of time because whole regions of your body will not be able to help compensate-- i.e.-- having an abdomioplasty and arms done concurrently means "Good luck getting up and down"

Just things to think about--

-S.

"Oh sweet and sour Jesus, that is GOOD!" - Stephen Colbert  Lap RNY 7/07-- Lap Gallbladder 5/08--  
     Emergency Bowel Repair
6/08 -Dr. Meilahn, Temple U.  
 Upper and Lower Bleph/Lower Face Lift 
12/08 
     Fraxel Repair 2/09-- Lower Bleph Re-Do 5/09  -Dr. Pontell, Media PA  Mastopexy/Massive 
     Brachioplasty/ Extended Abdominoplasty 
(plus Mons Lift and Upper Leg lift) / Hernia Repair
      6/24/09 ---Butt Lift and Lateral Thighplasty Scheduled 7/6/10
 - Dr. Ivor Kaplan VA Beach

Total Cost: $33,500   Start wt: 368   RNY wt: 300  Goal wt: 150   Current wt: 148.2  BMI: 24.7

Kennedy12
on 8/23/09 7:16 am - Chicago, IL
I am having a full body lift, but in two different procedures. I didn't want to risk associated with being under anesthesia for so long. So, the first will take 7 hours and the second will take 5 hours. I am taking off six months in between to heal and recover.

There are risks associated with all surgery. All you can do is do your research and chose a surgeon and hospital/surgery center that is board certified and you trust.

Good luck!

Jillian
Phase 1 Plastic Surgery Completed 9/9/09 with Dr. Siamak Agha.

Jupiter6
on 8/23/09 7:54 am - Near Media, Pa- South of Philly, NJ
Of course.

My facial plastics were done in PA, my body plastics in VA.

What is the pain like?
My body plastics were brutal-- especially the hernia repair/abdominoplasty combo. I had a LOT of work done at once.

I'm off all summer, but would have needed no less than 4 weeks.

2 nights because of the hernia-- would have been one otherwise, and only because of the length of time on table and extent of work done (12 hours.)

"Oh sweet and sour Jesus, that is GOOD!" - Stephen Colbert  Lap RNY 7/07-- Lap Gallbladder 5/08--  
     Emergency Bowel Repair
6/08 -Dr. Meilahn, Temple U.  
 Upper and Lower Bleph/Lower Face Lift 
12/08 
     Fraxel Repair 2/09-- Lower Bleph Re-Do 5/09  -Dr. Pontell, Media PA  Mastopexy/Massive 
     Brachioplasty/ Extended Abdominoplasty 
(plus Mons Lift and Upper Leg lift) / Hernia Repair
      6/24/09 ---Butt Lift and Lateral Thighplasty Scheduled 7/6/10
 - Dr. Ivor Kaplan VA Beach

Total Cost: $33,500   Start wt: 368   RNY wt: 300  Goal wt: 150   Current wt: 148.2  BMI: 24.7

workingmommy
on 8/23/09 11:21 am
RNY on 12/10/07 with
Congrats on starting your PS journey! I am having plastics in stages.  I have already had the LBL (in June) and a BL/BA and brachio (in July), and am scheduled for MTL in Dec.

In a heart beat!

I am in Southern CA and my PS is in Beverly Hills, so I am sure I paid more than some.

What is the pain like?
I waws VERY fortunate that pain was very minimal for me.

I, too have summers of so I had 5 weeks between the the LBL and BL/BA/Brachio, and 4 weeks after the second before I had to go back to work.  After the LBL I felt great after 3 weeks, but still had the drains, and after the BL/BA/Brachio, well, I still don't have complete rang of motion in both arms, but after 3 weeks I was on vacation out of the country.

I had my LBL is a surgical center and spent 2 nights in a wonderful "recovery retreat".  I had the BA/BL/Brachio at a hospital and stayed 1 night.  I will have the MTL at the same surgical center and will probably spend 1-2 nights at the retreat again.

Good Luck!

April

160 lbs lost to date!
LBL: 6/10/09
BL/BA/Brachio: 7/14/09
MTL: 6/17/10

(deactivated member)
on 8/23/09 12:37 pm
I am so very, very sorry about the loss of your dear father due to VRE.

Some people are actually colonized, and the infection doesn't rear its filthy head until something odd happens -- like surgery.  You can be checked to see if you are colonized (did you know that?).

THAT having been said, there are plastics/reconstructive surgeons who prefer NOT to operate in major hospitals specifically because the risk of infection is greatly reduced that way.  I no longer have my sources handy, but it might be an interesting (and reassuring) thing for you to research.

There are also recovery hospitals specifically for people who have had plastics, which further reduces cross-infection from seriously ill people with horrific infections.

so_1122
on 8/23/09 9:14 pm

THANKS FOR ALL THE REPLIES!! GREAT INFORMATION IS VERY APPRECIATED

Most Active