Drains

sonnieN
on 8/22/09 8:58 am - grand rapids, MI
What is the longest someone has had a drain left in. I'm going on 6 weeks w/ this in my left thigh and it's not slowing down to where the Dr. will take it out. It is driving me crazy and hurting. I'm beginning to want to fudge the numbers just so I can get it out and take my chances on getting a seroma.

Sonya
Jessie-F
on 8/22/09 2:09 pm
6 weeks!! oh Sonya I feel so bad for you. All I can say is that things happen for a reason, maybe its a good thing that you have that drain because it prevented any complications, but I would have probably yanked the darn thing out by now!!!
I hope your surgeon reconsiders his decision to keep it in any longer, good luck!!
(deactivated member)
on 8/22/09 2:25 pm
 How much are you draining? 

I can tell you from personal experience that when your incisions start oozing goop later on, that might have normally gone through a drain, the experience is pretty icky and awful.

PamT
on 8/23/09 12:03 am - Downey, CA
"when your incisions start oozing goop later on, that might have normally gone through a drain, the experience is pretty icky and awful."

Yes, I agree.  Been there,,,STILL doing that!

My drains only stayed in three days and he took them out. Was it too early? Dr says no. I don't know but I DO know I developed a seroma after that. Huge! I looked 6 months pregnant. That meant Dr appts to have it aspirated about every other day for about 3 weeks. After that was over, I had a little hole in the incision line. (For about the last 6 weeks) The hole had fluid in it. He opened that and MORE fluid came out. I have to clean it with a Qtip,  flush out that hole with peroxide & then with alcohol, then with water 4 times a day or as often as possible. Rebandage it cause it leaks between flushings. 4 times a day is impossible when you work 12 hour days Plus each time it is flushed out involves a trip in the shower. Not possible at work. Twice is usually the best I can do on my working days. It's FINALLY getting better and smaller!! I can feel how big the hole under my skin is with the Qtip. It's closing, slow but sure. The outside hole is now big enough (between the incision line & my belly button,) that it will leave a scar. He's going to take care of that as soon as I am all healed.

I gotta admit. I hated the drains and was glad when he took them out so soon...BUT I hated the seroma and this "leaky hole" too. I marvel at those that had no drains & no problems. That would have been the ideal situation. But, for some reason, it wasn't mine. 

I know your drains are a pain,,but you sure don't want to have to go through what I'm dealing with.......

PamT
workingmommy
on 8/22/09 2:51 pm
RNY on 12/10/07 with
I feel for you.  I had my drains from my LBL for 5 weeks.  After the 4th week with no signs of slowing, my dr injected a solution into the drains to slow the drainage.  I cant think of what it was...but it helped.  Good luck!

April

160 lbs lost to date!
LBL: 6/10/09
BL/BA/Brachio: 7/14/09
MTL: 6/17/10

Wendy_Canada
on 8/23/09 12:24 am - Canada
Funny how things are different from doctor to doctor.  I had my tummy tuck (anchor) and breast lift and having my arms done in september and my plastic surgeon doesn't use drains at all not even from day one.  I haven't had any problems healing.  He says he adopted this procedure about 10 years ago or more (in the Toronto area).  The body absorbs this stuff and gets rid of it though when you go to the bathroom.
My heart goes out to you and anyone fighting the discomfort and pain with the drains . I hope you get the drain pulled soon.

Wendy

tammyncook
on 8/23/09 6:49 am - Osceola, WI
I've only had mine in since Monday. I have my first post-op appointment on Wednesday and I hope mine will come out. I'm down to about 20 ml in each in 24 hours already.
But, my doctor told me that the longest he will leave drains in is 4 weeks, and if he needs to, he will take them out and put new ones in because while they are great at getting all the fluids out, they can also let things IN if they've been in too long. Hang in there! It will get better soon. My philosophy is while they're a pain, I'd rather have that pain instead of another!
Tammy
Highest Weight 290 / Day of Surgery 275 / Doctor's Goal 190 / My Goal 160 / Now 143
AbidinginHIM
on 8/29/09 2:47 am - Ontario, CA
Mine were in 6 weeks for my thigh lift, and came out with high numbers still (100+ cc per day, per leg), because the drain tract was becoming infected. At first, I was swelling like crazy, not to mention the 2 pair of pants I SOAKED in a few hours along with all of the dressing and pads that were used. In a few days, things began to normalize and my body was absorbing it.  I didn't get a seroma until I had a revision at 3 months for a few things. Then I had issues, but we won't go there right now!

Good luck.
Jennie

31 lbs lost before surgery
Most Active