Appeal Approved! Yippee!!!

kendralynn
on 8/22/09 3:46 am - IA

I got the letter in the mail today that my appeal was approved!!!! Thank you to everyone who gave me advice after my last post when I was hysterical at getting denied. I have to have it done by Feb. and I am a teacher, so my plan is to have it over Christmas break if at all possible.

Do you think 2 weeks will be enough recovery time before returning to work? I am having a tummy tuck, breast lift, and brachioplasty (arms).

~K
Open RNY 7-27-04   
-180 Lbs.
Renee2007
on 8/22/09 3:52 am - Central, FL
Congrats on your approval! Recovery is so different for each individual. For myself, I would not have been ready to go back to work after 2 weeks. I had an extended tummy tuck and a breast lift with implants. I had the muscle tightening and remained very sore and stiff for weeks. I was still not standing up completely straight at 2 weeks. Adding in the brachioplasty is really a lot to have done at once. I personally think you will need more than 2 weeks.

Renee
 My DS   
SW/263  CW/136 GW/150

kendralynn
on 8/22/09 3:53 am - IA
Here is the letter I sent:

August 10, 2009

To Whom It May Concern:

Last week I received a letter telling me that my request for a panniculectomy had been denied. I'm having great difficulties understanding this decision and would like to tell you a little more about myself and my situation and hopefully help you understand why the removal of excess skin is necessary for my health and wellbeing.

In July of 2004 I had gastric bypass surgery at the age of 21. I weighed 388 pounds at my highest. I currently weigh 215 lbs. and have been at this weight for three years. Over the past several years I have begun to have major back pain and trouble sleeping. I go to a chiropractor at least 1-2 times a month. My belly hangs down and I feel like I am stooped over as a result. I wear a girdle on a daily basis to support my loose skin and help with the back pain. As a special education teacher to young children I often work on the floor with my students.  The girdle is tight and uncomfortable and makes me miserable. Going to the bathroom is a timely ordeal to wrestle out of the girdle, especially when I only have short breaks between students. Often I will just hold it and will not get to the restroom all day long. I have had yeast infections and UTI’s, which I attribute to wearing a girdle. As far as rashes go, I do get rashes down in my belly button. It is itchy and smelly and I have to be very diligent about keeping it clean. I am meticulous about my body and bathe twice a day and reapply deodorant constantly because I worry that I smell since my skin is always rubbing together and sweaty. I have also been told by multiple Drs. that I have a small hernia near my incision that needs to be taken care of.

My confidence is so low and I battle with depression as a result of my loose skin. I am 26 years old and have never dated because I am too humiliated of my body. I have hopes and dreams of getting married one day and having a family, and I feel that I will never be comfortable letting a man get close to me until I do not have folds of flesh hanging down to my thighs. While my weight loss has given me my life back in so many ways, I  am still limited because of the loose skin that causes me pain, fatigue, and embarrassment.  I beg you to please reconsider your decision because my health and happiness depend on it.

workingmommy
on 8/22/09 8:32 am
RNY on 12/10/07 with
Yay!  I am so happy that your appeal was approved.  I am concerened though, that you are having all that work done and only giving yourself 2 weeks.  The breast lift will not give you much trouble, but I am not sure you will be ready to go back after two weeks post TT and Brachio.  I know everyone is different, but if possible, try for another 2 weeks.  Do you pay into a disablilty that might allow you to stay home longer?  Good luck!

April

160 lbs lost to date!
LBL: 6/10/09
BL/BA/Brachio: 7/14/09
MTL: 6/17/10

kendralynn
on 8/22/09 8:36 am - IA
By having all of the procedures done at once I am saving a ton of money. I'm sure I could get more time off, but the thing is I am not really telling my co-workers about the surgery. None of them have any idea I have had GBS and I live in a gossipy town of 1600 and don't want to start the rumor mill. That is why I want to do it over break and not miss any work. We will see how I am feeling and if by New Year' s I know I am not going to be up to it, I will get my sub plans ready and make it work!
Redhaired
on 8/22/09 9:22 am - Mouseville, FL
Congratulations.  I am so happy for you.  I hope your surgery goes well and that you have spectacular results.

red

workingmommy
on 8/23/09 1:21 am
RNY on 12/10/07 with
I understand...small towns and schools in general are very gossipy!  Just make sure that you are honest with yourself about how you feel before you go back to work.  You don't want to hinder your recovery.  Good luck!

April

160 lbs lost to date!
LBL: 6/10/09
BL/BA/Brachio: 7/14/09
MTL: 6/17/10

(deactivated member)
on 8/22/09 10:56 am
Congratulations on your approval.  Two weeks does not seem like a lot of time for healing after so much work.  You may want to get your substitute papers ready just in case.

Best wishes!

Sherline
PamT
on 8/22/09 11:18 am - Downey, CA
Congratulations on your success!!  Good for you for not just accepting their denial!! 

Eeeekkk,,two weeks??  For me, two weeks would have been possible for the breast lift & brachioplasty. I had them both and absolutely no problems for me. BUT the tummy tuck has proven (for ME) to be a far bigger ordeal than I thought possible. I'm pretty dang tough & strong (I think!) but the tummy tuck kicked my b**. Took me alot longer to feel "human" again than I anticipated. Of course everyone is different. You may have it and snap right back with no complications. I guess I didn't happen to be one of those lucky ones.

PamT
JustLookingToo
on 8/23/09 10:54 am, edited 8/23/09 10:55 am - AL
 Congratulations on your approval. Your letter was very touching. I have tears in my eyes. I hope your results bring you the joy and happiness that you deserve. I guess someone at the insurance company does have a heart after all. Good for you.
Most Active