A Couple Questions for Post Op Ladies

Susan Hegarty
on 8/21/09 11:37 pm - Easton, PA
Good Morning Ladies,
I am 12 days post op and have a few questions.
My doc told me it was ok to take a bath in addition to showering. How long did everyone wait to take a bath? I was thinking it woulld be so relaxing.
Also, the little tape strips that are along the incision. Do they fall off eventually or do they get removed and if so, when?
Last question is I am still getting swelling or what seems like fluid build up right above my pubic area. It puffs out and looks like a "puff". I have one of those scales that measure your water percentage and it seems to be going down and I am losing weight, which is good (Im down 14lbs since the day of surgery) so would this "puff" be a normal thing?
Thanks for all your input.
Highest weight:439
Current Weight: 180
Goal weight: 160
**259 Lbs lost!!**

http://www.makemeheal.com/pictures/viewAlbum.php?albumid=9999

Melissa M.
on 8/22/09 12:09 am - Seabrook, TX
I only had to wait about 4 days to take a shower.  My dr said for me to wait about 4 days if I could.  I had one drain for a week and the other for about 9 days.  I felt much better afterwards too.

I didn't have any steri strips or staples.    The strips tend to fall off on their own though.  Once they are barely hanging you can just pull them off.

The swelling is very normal, especially in the pubic area.  I am 10 weeks out and that was very swollen for a long time, especially by the end of the day.  It still swells but not as bad as it was.

Just be patient, it will get better!  That's what I have to keep telling myself too.
Susan Hegarty
on 8/22/09 1:00 am - Easton, PA
Thanks for the feedback.  I wasnt sure about the steri strips
Highest weight:439
Current Weight: 180
Goal weight: 160
**259 Lbs lost!!**

http://www.makemeheal.com/pictures/viewAlbum.php?albumid=9999

(deactivated member)
on 8/22/09 2:26 am
Susan -- this is a good "ask your doctor" kinda thing.

I'm three and a half weeks out, and I still only am allowed to SHOWER every three days (no baths).  

Your doctor knows your body, and your surgery, very specifically.  My doctor hasn't even MENTIONED the word "bath" except to look horrified when I used it myself, instead of the word SHOWER.

The steristrips fall of eventually on their own unless the doctor takes the initiative to remove and/or replace them.

And swelling, apparently, is a mysterious process that is little understood by anyone, anywhere, under any cir****tances at all.  It comes.  It goes.  It is one of the great mysteries of the universe like is there a G-d, why do people have to die, and if the sky is blue, why can't it sometimes be something else that would look better with my complection (which in fact it often is, in LA>)

All blessings --

Charm

CELINES Rodriguez
Torres

on 8/22/09 2:49 am - Springfield, MA
Hello Susan;

I was allowed to shower after the drains were removed;  that was seven days after the sugery.   I removed the tape strips myself because they were almost off actually kind of hangingthe swelling and "puffiness" is completely normal and will get better after a few weeks.  Good Luck to you
BigCityGirl
on 8/22/09 3:16 am - San Diego, CA
I showered two days after surgery in all cases, thrrough three rounds of surgery.  Bathing came later - about at the two week point.  The tape was removed by the surgeon when the last drain was removed at day 14.  The puff could be a seroma.  It's not big deal, nothing to panic about. The surgeon can aspirate it on your next visit - if that's what it is.  And it's not a painful thing.
Surgeon: Joseph Grzeskiewicz, M.D., F.A.C.S.
La Jolla Cosmetic Surgery Centre
Loris
on 8/22/09 10:22 am - Midlothian, VA
I would wait to bath until all the incision are closed.  If you do take a bath, shower afterwards.  Happy healing.  Loris

Loris  344/119@ 5'2" Below Goal                    
                                     Lower body lift  10/17/2007
                                     Upper body lift     1/23/2008

sisichi
on 8/22/09 5:45 pm - Manchester, PA
Hi Susan, My dr. told me not to take baths or jacuzzi until the incisions have totally healed because it will soften the incision and could chance opening the incision. I did what he said and am 11 weeks out and now in Jacuzzi and all is well, however after soaking I do still put bio oil on the scars as it seems to dry them out after drying off. Good luck, Carole
tammyncook
on 8/23/09 6:57 am - Osceola, WI
I had my TT & hernia repair surgery last Monday. So I will be 1 week out tomorrow. I only have staples in my incisions. No steri-strips. I have 2 drains also. I was told I could shower right away.. although I waited until day 3. And no baths while the drains are in.
I've had other surgeries though that involved steri-strips and they are fine to leave on until they just fall off on their own.
As far as the swelling, I haven't had too much yet (fingers crossed) so I can't help much there!
Tammy
Highest Weight 290 / Day of Surgery 275 / Doctor's Goal 190 / My Goal 160 / Now 143
Most Active