Hard, Numb and Swollen above pubic area

Susan Hegarty
on 8/19/09 10:33 am - Easton, PA
Whew, I feel like I was inflated with air. My lower abdomen, right above my pubic area is hard, numb and swollen. I guess I am worrying because the drains were taken out yesterday. Its not like the "waterbed effect" but very tight and the only area that is completely numb. Could it be that I did too much today? I did drive for the first time and go for a haircut. But then for the rest of the day I just rested on the recliner. I know swelling is normal but I feel like I am going to POP! Maybe it is gas? Oh the joys nof recovery Rolling Eyes
Highest weight:439
Current Weight: 180
Goal weight: 160
**259 Lbs lost!!**

http://www.makemeheal.com/pictures/viewAlbum.php?albumid=9999

blueigrl
on 8/19/09 10:49 am - port st lucie, FL
i had breast lift and tt 8/6 and i'm in the same boat.  i think it's normal, the more i do the worse it gets.  i go back fri so i'm taking it easy til then.  he said if it was really bad they would drain it....no thanks!  plus i put ice on it for half hour--good luck, jo
Wendy_Canada
on 8/19/09 12:38 pm - Canada
Putting ice on it is a good idea but please be careful.  since the area is numb and the nerves are healing you might not feel the cold as early as normal and you can damage the skin with over exposure to the ice.

wendy

Melissa M.
on 8/19/09 12:27 pm - Seabrook, TX
I had that too for a while.  Sometimes my mons area seemed more swollen than my belly.  Now it's mostly my belly because my mons doesn't swell as much any more.  The swelling for me has been the worst part.  At least the pain was over quickly for me, but the swelling just lingers!
Jupiter6
on 8/19/09 12:35 pm - Near Media, Pa- South of Philly, NJ
It's most certainly fluid. Your pubic area is the lower most point of your abdomen, and it's where the fluid pools-- often it's the last to go away. My lower abdomen/pubis are rock hard, at 9 weeks out, most of the day. Without your drains, you likely will see a noticable increase in fluid: I gained 6 pounds of water in three days after having my drains pulled.

"Oh sweet and sour Jesus, that is GOOD!" - Stephen Colbert  Lap RNY 7/07-- Lap Gallbladder 5/08--  
     Emergency Bowel Repair
6/08 -Dr. Meilahn, Temple U.  
 Upper and Lower Bleph/Lower Face Lift 
12/08 
     Fraxel Repair 2/09-- Lower Bleph Re-Do 5/09  -Dr. Pontell, Media PA  Mastopexy/Massive 
     Brachioplasty/ Extended Abdominoplasty 
(plus Mons Lift and Upper Leg lift) / Hernia Repair
      6/24/09 ---Butt Lift and Lateral Thighplasty Scheduled 7/6/10
 - Dr. Ivor Kaplan VA Beach

Total Cost: $33,500   Start wt: 368   RNY wt: 300  Goal wt: 150   Current wt: 148.2  BMI: 24.7

Susan Hegarty
on 8/19/09 12:58 pm - Easton, PA
OMg just when I think I am in the clear with one thing, another surfaces.  This is not an easy recovery by any means.  Thank you so much for all of your feedback.  And I dont know if I told you but you look unbelievable!!
**259 Lbs lost!!**

jackie j
on 8/20/09 5:22 am - Glenmoore, PA
Susan, I've got a question.  Several folks have recommended to me to have a recliner around after surgery.  I don't have one.  I do have a lounge in my living room that might suffice.   Why the recliner specifically?  After my WLS I slept by myself in a low queen size bed with body pillows around me and that was fantastic.  Couldn't get "up" into my regular king bed, but had no trouble getting "down" and out of the queen.   Wondering if I'd need to rent something.  

Jackie J.    hugs.gif image by LISAH900   ribbon.gif image by Ready4Achange  

1 choice @ a time > 1 day @ a time.   Slow to Succeed is still Success ;-)

Susan Hegarty
on 8/20/09 6:59 am - Easton, PA
I thank God I have a recliner.  I just started sleeping on the couch with alot of pillows.  But the recliner is the way to go.  The shape of it allows you to use your arms to lower yourself and get up without having to use your stomach muscles.  And the incline it puts your body at is comfortable while recovering.
**259 Lbs lost!!**

gaelicprincess
on 8/19/09 1:54 pm - Pensacola, FL
VSG on 04/17/09 with
If you had TT, you will be numb above your incision for quite a while, so no worries; its normal.  Also, as mentioned previously, when the drains are taken out the fluid will build up intil the lymphatic system is able to move it on out.

speicallady
on 8/20/09 3:50 am - bronx, NY
hi Susan
Today, was the first day that I don't feel so tight, and can move.  I love your words, "the joy Of recovery,  I am not swollen, so I am grateful,

did you lose any weight yet, I am holding fast at 140, I am wondering when should I go back to work? 
I just need a little more energy and i will be OK, so we will be able to plot and plan our next surgery?

Debra
Most Active