Federal gov employee insurance ~ what is best for plastic surgery coverage??

hokiefan
on 8/18/09 10:11 am - MD
I am a federal employee and open season will be upon us before we know it. Any suggestions on which insurance company is most likely to cover plastics. I have no real "need" for PS except extra skin and pitiful boobs. I have read about some insurance only requiring the patient had lost 100+ pounds.

Any insight would be most appreciated!
Heather
SW: 278.5    CW: 145-150   GW: I think I'm there, learning to embrace it
echo6w
on 8/18/09 11:32 am
Not sure which one would cover PS, if any.  I figure one would have to have a serious medical condition caused by the extra skin like excessive skin irritations etc before PS would be covered.  I have BCBS FEP and am so happy it covered the DS.  If you here of one covering PS, please let me know.  If I hear of one, I'll holler atcha!! 

No Retreat!  No Surrender!
(deactivated member)
on 8/18/09 11:49 pm - Wiesbaden, Germany
DS on 10/08/13
I've got GEHA High Option, which is on the very expensive side of the available plans.

They have been EXCELLENT about coverage.

HOWEVER, and it's a big however, none of the health plans will cover plastic surgery that is cosmetic.  If you haven't already done so, you need to start documenting the problems the extra skin is causing (e.g., rashes). 

Boobs are a toughie.  If they were too heavy and caused back pain, they probably would be covered.  Augmentation, probably not.  Unless, again, there is a health issue (oh, dear, that's a terrible rash you have from your poor, pitiful, floppy boob.).

(I don't mean to be disrespectful but I'm trying to feed you a valid reason.)

If you can find insurance that covers plastics because someone has lost 100 pounds, look a little closer before you actually select it.  I'd be just a bit leery about blanket statements and look at the detail elements.
Most Active