Drains vs no-drains on brachioplasty???

PatMBo
on 8/18/09 6:37 am - Elizabethtown, KY
I have had 2 consults for brachioplasty (arm reduction) surgery....1 doc puts in drains, the other doesn't...I was wondering if any of you that have had it done have had drains?? I'd rather NOT, if I don't have to, but am not totally sure which way is preferred??? The doc that puts in drains is younger, about $1,000 cheaper, but I'm more impressed with the other doc....so I'm just wondering.  THANKS for any insight you can give me before I choose which one I'm going to use!!

purpletb
on 8/18/09 6:43 am
The doc I've chosen said he would put in drains but would most likely remove them before I went home.  I'm curious to see what others experience has been as well.
doreenh
on 8/18/09 7:34 am - Meredith, NH
I went home with drains on Friday and went in on Monday to have them removed.  They weren't that bothersome since I didn't go anywhere for the first few days, but any longer and I probably wouldn't hyave liked it.

BigCityGirl
on 8/18/09 8:17 am - San Diego, CA
No drains for me.  There was some swelling - mostly in my hands and wrists for a about 10 days after surgery.  But as plastics go, swelling with my brachioplasty was not a problem at all.
Surgeon: Joseph Grzeskiewicz, M.D., F.A.C.S.
La Jolla Cosmetic Surgery Centre
workingmommy
on 8/18/09 8:40 am
RNY on 12/10/07 with
I had two drains, one on each side, and had them about a week.  They hardly drained at all, but I feel better a drain than a seroma

April

160 lbs lost to date!
LBL: 6/10/09
BL/BA/Brachio: 7/14/09
MTL: 6/17/10

sel
on 8/18/09 9:03 am - colchester, CT

I did not have any drains. Had some swelling in hands and forearms for just a few days , no other problems.

Sher

(deactivated member)
on 8/18/09 9:09 am - West Central FL☼RIDA , FL
My surgeon said "it depends"........he decides whether or not drains are needed at the time of surgery.  I ended up having them but they came out the next day (or maybe it was the 2nd day......I don't remember but it was fast).
sonnieN
on 8/18/09 11:47 am - grand rapids, MI
I had drains but they were taken out before I left the hospital. Went in on Wed and they were taken out on Friday but they never really drained anything.

Sonya
Wendy_Canada
on 8/18/09 8:19 pm - Canada
I just had an extended anchor tummy tuck and breast lift with no drains and have my arms scheduled for September 21st and again my doctor said he does not use drains.

I had no problems whatso ever without drains. 

Good luck with your decission

wendy

Jupiter6
on 8/19/09 9:26 am - Near Media, Pa- South of Philly, NJ
No drains.

"Oh sweet and sour Jesus, that is GOOD!" - Stephen Colbert  Lap RNY 7/07-- Lap Gallbladder 5/08--  
     Emergency Bowel Repair
6/08 -Dr. Meilahn, Temple U.  
 Upper and Lower Bleph/Lower Face Lift 
12/08 
     Fraxel Repair 2/09-- Lower Bleph Re-Do 5/09  -Dr. Pontell, Media PA  Mastopexy/Massive 
     Brachioplasty/ Extended Abdominoplasty 
(plus Mons Lift and Upper Leg lift) / Hernia Repair
      6/24/09 ---Butt Lift and Lateral Thighplasty Scheduled 7/6/10
 - Dr. Ivor Kaplan VA Beach

Total Cost: $33,500   Start wt: 368   RNY wt: 300  Goal wt: 150   Current wt: 148.2  BMI: 24.7

Most Active