Breast feeding after a breast lift?

Need2lose200
on 8/16/09 8:03 am - Waterloo, IA
Hi...I am still pre-op and pre wls but just wondering...I plan of having plastic surg to keep my DDs and get a lift once I reach my goal weight. I need to know if I'll be able to breast feed once I have children with a BL and partial implants....thanks for input!
jonelle32514
on 8/16/09 8:57 am - Pensacola, FL
I have mentor memory gel silicone breast implants.  According to my owner's manual, mentor states that you should be able to breastfeed.  www.mentorcorp.com  is the website. 

287/113
SurgeryWeight/CurrentWeight
5'10"

DrL
on 8/17/09 12:52 pm - Houston, TX
Breast lift and reduction can affect your ability breast feed, and it depends on several factors. 

Probably the first is the amount (if any) of tissue that will be removed.  Women having  a large amount of tissue  removed may have more of the milk ducts and glands cut, and have more interference with breast feeding. A simple lift probably has less of an effect.

The next factor is the type of incision used....my opinion is that the larger anchor scar technique cuts across more breast tissue than the shorter scar techniques and may have a higher chance of interfering with nursing.

The other factor I discuss with patients who will be first time mothers is the fact that up to 20% of women may have difficulty  breastfeeding even with no surgery.  So my disclosure is always:  "if inability to breastfeed would be a big problem for you, dont have suregry on your breast."

Hope this helps,

John LoMonaco, M.D., F.A.C.S.
Plastic Surgery
Houston, Texas

www.DrLoMonaco.com
www.BodyLiftHouston.com
Need2lose200
on 8/17/09 3:57 pm - Waterloo, IA
thank you both soo much! The info from Dr L is making me lean toward having no surgery on my breasts...they look pretty great right now, lets just hope they stay that way!
Iam_with_the_Band
on 8/18/09 8:03 pm
I work in a birthcenter and we do have some mom's with problems getting enough milk - after breast lifts.  I'd wait until after you're doing breastfeeding and having babies to get your breasts done.  Besides, many women's breast size changes drastically after lactating.

12/09 and 6/11, 9 skin removal procedures with Dr. Sauceda in Monterrey Mexico
Revised to the Sleeve after losing 271 lbs with the LapBand. 

Most Active