Just starting the PS process

dridlen
on 8/15/09 12:06 am - gillette, WY
 I am just starting the process for getting a tt after getting to goal. I don't even know where to start. The surgeon who did my Lap Band told me yesterday that I needed to start the process now. Ok, I so want a tt but I have not documented any skin trouble. We started documenting this yesterday.I talked to my insurance and they will pay for a medically necessary tt after wls. Where do I go from here? How do I find a good plastic surgeon? Any advice would be appreciated. 

Dottie R. 
Certified Obesity Help Support Group Leader
236 (highest)/228 (at surgery)/136.8(currently)

Mendee M.
on 8/15/09 12:49 am - Mulvane, KS
I can't really help with the insurance portion as there is no hope of mine covering it. I will say though, make SEVERAL consults with different PS's. I would also check to see who your WL surgeon recommends as well as your PCP. I saw my PCP Thursday, and he told me about a PS that had problems. It was one of the ones I was considering!! Whew!! I was glad I asked him!!  I have also talked to several people who have used some of the local PS's for their opinion. I guess the big thing is RESEARCH every PS you are considering!!
~~Mendee~~

10 pounds below goal!                  
workingmommy
on 8/15/09 1:02 am
RNY on 12/10/07 with
For me, I started looking at PS's who specialized or who had a LOT of experience working with post WLS patients.  Our skin is a bit different from your average person.  Then go on lots of consults and dont be afraid to ask a ton of questions.  Then I would research them, check on their certifications and such.  Don't be afriad to submit claims to your insurance.  My PS submitted for me and I was approved for 2 of my 3 procedures out the gate.  I appealed the 3rd (3 times) and they approved it.  Good luck and welcome!

April

160 lbs lost to date!
LBL: 6/10/09
BL/BA/Brachio: 7/14/09
MTL: 6/17/10

Most Active