Unusual Question about side effects of Surgery....... Hair loss

MSHAMO
on 8/15/09 3:54 am - AUBURN HILLS, MI
My hair is thinner after my VSG and continued after my plastics. It is still growing (can tell by my gray roots) but there is just not as much. I started taking prilosec and have read that taking it can cause hair thinning.
High/VSG/Surgeon Goal/My Goal/Current 257/242/170/155/141  I love my sleeve!
5' 3.5"    Plastic Surgeon: Dr. Raymond Hajjar, Bingham Farms, MI   Extended TT, muscle repair, lipo & hernia repair 2/25/09  Direct neck lift and muscle repair  4/14/09  Short scar lower face lift, more neck work and lower bleph 9/15/09
(deactivated member)
on 8/15/09 8:14 am - West Central FL☼RIDA , FL
Well that's just a cruel twist with the prilosec side effect......
Best wishes!!
MelissaF
on 8/15/09 4:36 am - Northwood, IA
Hey Ruth - Surgery can cause this to happen from the anesthesia and stress of being under.

I, myself, lost 50% of my hair with RNY and none so far with PS... knock on wood. I am coming on 4 mos postop.
Hugs, Melissa 

http://www.onetruemedia.com/shared?p=6166c1bf498224d5a8b93e&skin_id=701&utm_source=otm&utm_medium=text_url

RNY- 12/04/06 with Dr. Matt Glasock

LBL - 4/28/09 with Dr. Rene Recinos

DrL
on 8/15/09 8:06 am - Houston, TX
I hear it reported in about 15% of my patients.  Wonder if aggressive protein supplementation postop helps with it ??????????
John LoMonaco, M.D., F.A.C.S.
Plastic Surgery
Houston, Texas

www.DrLoMonaco.com
www.BodyLiftHouston.com
(deactivated member)
on 8/15/09 8:11 am - West Central FL☼RIDA , FL
Thanks for the reply Dr. L,
I'm thinking the protein doesn't help with the hair only because I avg 100-120 grams of protein a day....I'm thinking that's A LOT but maybe I'm wrong.  If up'ing it to 150 will help I'll try it.  I wonder how much protein is too much protein......

Thanks!
DrL
on 8/16/09 2:32 am - Houston, TX
I see what you mean.  Maybe the hairloss is mainly a neurohormonal thing, related to surgical stress.
John LoMonaco, M.D., F.A.C.S.
Plastic Surgery
Houston, Texas

www.DrLoMonaco.com
www.BodyLiftHouston.com
MyLady Heidi
on 8/16/09 7:39 am
I have about 6 months of shedding with every surgery, 3 surgeries in 4 years =18 months of shedding.  It sucks, and is the reason my hair is still short, I haven't had a surgery in over a year now and my hair doesn't fall out at all, its as thick as ever.  Maybe someday I will let it grow back, but I am too impatient and can't grow it out.

Good Luck
Hugs Heidi
(deactivated member)
on 8/16/09 9:10 am - West Central FL☼RIDA , FL
I'm debating with myself if I should cut it short again or not....gotta make a decision by Saturday because I have an appointment with the hair-cutter.  All this "stuff" we go thru because of our weight.  UGH!

Thanks for letting me know it grows back......
Have a good night.
Most Active