surgery set gor 26th of aug

vickie O.
on 8/14/09 9:17 am - amarillo, TX
well found out today that medicare sd pay for the tummy tuck portion of my hospital bell s well as the hernia portion.  i will need to pay the doc for the tt part because medicare won't pay that. since he is doing the tt as the same time as the hernia i  will only have to pay him 2000.  i leave here mon,it is a 4 1/2 hour drive or so. and preadmit that afternoon. then a day of rest before surgery.  the only way this could fall through is if one of my parents gets real sick to where they need me.  keep your fingers crossed. any advice on what to take or do?  thanks for all your help.  vick

EXPERIENCE WITHOUT REFLECTION IS HOLLOW

CELINES Rodriguez
Torres

on 8/14/09 9:57 am - Springfield, MA
Good Luck to youI hope everything works out.   As for what to take; I would suggest a small bag with personal items, like a hair brush; tooth brush; lotion and chapstick (don't know why but my lips got really dry at the hospital) very handy come the pre-moist wipes too. 

Hugs and keep us posted.
vickie O.
on 8/14/09 10:25 am - amarillo, TX
thanks for the tips, expecially abouy thr wipes. vick

(deactivated member)
on 8/15/09 1:02 am, edited 8/15/09 3:43 am - West Central FL☼RIDA , FL
Hi Vickie,
Best wishes on your surgery.

Here's a list of the things I'm taking with me in 2 weeks........(FYI - I am staying at an after care facility for at least 3-5 days do I don't have to travel back and forth right after surgery and I'll get the wound care from an RN so I don't have to deal with it at first.  I'm also hoping by staying there that the Dr will let me keep a Foley in for the first few days.  so my list might be a little more than you need if you are coming straight home)

~Feshette (so you can stand and pee......you can buy it on-line)
~Toilet Seat Riser
~Pre-moistened wash towels
~Hair brush and ties to keep my hair up
~Toothbrush and paste
~Face cream
~Tweezers
~Chapstick (yep the lips always dry out)
~Extra Strength Tylenol (taking my own..instead of paying a hospital $8.00 a pill, I'll buy a whole bottle)
~Arnica Montana for after surgery (helps reduce bruising.......worked for me on the arms)
~Alchol pads to flush the drains
~4X4 gauze pads (covering drains holes, incisions, anything that "weeps" etc)
~Maxi pads to cushion the incision area under the binder/compression garment
~Mens tee shirt to wear under the binder/compression garment (the tank top style) Get mens because they will be longer and cover the lower incisions.
~PROTEIN!!! Take bars, powders (to add water and make a drink), pre mixed shakes, whatever you like
~Instant Oatmeal pkgs
~STOOL SOFTENER (OMG I am not going through what I did with my arms back in march...I'm going prepared this time with stool softeners!)
~Prunes.....just to be sure!  LOL
~A book ...by day 2 or 3 if you are staying in the hospital or hotel you may want to read
~Crossword puzzles or Suduko...whatever you like
~Notepad to right down important things the Dr says and just to capture how you feel.  Don't forget a pen...lol
~2 pairs of comfy pants...one a larger size than I wear now just in case I have crazy swelling.

Before leaving, I'm going to:

~Get my haircut  (A whole new style.....)
~Get the nails done
~Cook and freeze plenty of meals so they are easy to re-heat.
~Stock up on Mederma (scar cream) for post op use
~Buy "New Gel" strips to cover the scar once it's healed...helps keep them very flat.  Worked great on my boobs.
~I hope to find a shower stool

That's all I can think of right now.....if I remember anything else I'll let you know.
Hope it helps......
Best Wishes
Ruth

EDITED TO ADD:  Take before pictures!!! You'll be glad you have them later when you want to compare what you looked like before plastics.  I regret that I didn't do it before my breast reduction.  I did before my brachioplasty and it's great to see the difference!

vickie O.
on 8/15/09 4:31 am - amarillo, TX
good luck on your surgery. thanks for the tips. vick

speicallady
on 8/15/09 3:41 am - bronx, NY
Hello Vickie O
i am so glad for you, I was not able to get mt Hernia repair paid for
Just think positive thoughts,   8 days out I am dong fine.  no pain,
wishing you a speedily recovery

we will be waiting to hear from you

Deb
vickie O.
on 8/15/09 4:26 am - amarillo, TX
deb, do u have medicare?  they wouldn't pay for your hernia or your tummy tuck. how much did iy wind up costing you, if u don't mind my asking?  i have medicare and they are supposed to pay.  so sorry for you.  how are you doing as far as awelling etc. did u just have the hernia or also a tummy tuck?  vick

speicallady
on 8/15/09 5:54 am - bronx, NY
Vickie
I have Hip / Medicate  they paid for the hernia, but I had an  component separation technique operation , but for the tt I paid 8500.00 I guess that why he repaired the hernia as a component separation technique and not a regular Herminia report, which i did not pay for
I am waiting to be bille the diffrence in operation cost from the hospital

debra
Jeanine F.
on 8/17/09 4:02 am - Clifton Park, NY
Good luck Vickie!  I will be in the same situation (surgery coming up) next month, so I imagine you are full of excitement and anxiety. I will keep you in my prayers and wish you a speedy recovery.  Jeanine

(deactivated member)
on 8/17/09 6:52 am - Haleiwa, HI
Good luck Vickie!  I am having surgery on October 8th, and I am so excited!  By the way, I grew up in Pampa!
Most Active