UPDATED!!!!! 9 Months Post-op, Just discovered something was left behind

Laura the Future
Pin-up

on 8/12/09 12:47 pm - Edmonton, Canada
RNY on 07/27/07 with
I will... but don't base any decision on that email. Dr Quiroz calls me randomly - every month or 2 months just to ask me how I am doing. This is unusual for him because he's always been very responsive :-/ I'm thinking that his english via reading/writing isn't the greatest. I don't think he fully understood my email. I may call him just because our conversation via phone are much better
HW: 366, SW: 342, GW: 165, Maintaining at: 185 (No longer tracking weight loss. Pregnant and due May 1, 2011!)

There are two primary choices in life; to accept conditions as they exist, or accept responsibility for changing them.

jonelle32514
on 8/12/09 7:43 am - Pensacola, FL
That is just crazy! I hope you can get the surgery asap.  I read what the Dr emailed you back and I thought he would want to know more about it. It was as if never read your email.  I thought he would have asked for pictures or to talk to your Dr that told you the results.  But to just blow it off, no matter if it were 20 years ago, is just wrong.  I would do my best to get them to schedule surgery right away. I would tell them it hurts like hell, it hurts worse when i sit down or lay on that side and I am a side sleeper. I would tell them whatever I could to get it fixed.  Good luck to you!! In case you can not go on your trip, I would hope that your PS would reimburse you. afterall, it is his neglect that caused you to miss your trip.

287/113
SurgeryWeight/CurrentWeight
5'10"

(deactivated member)
on 8/12/09 9:38 am
Holy sh*t.  Just .... holy sh*t.

What an eye-opener about both Canadian healthcare (relevant for Americans right now) ... and also doctor attitudes about their responsibility.  
sclark1970
on 8/16/09 9:21 am
I don't understand that conclusion.  Assuming that this one experience of this one women is indicative of the quality of Canadian healthcare overall seems a little premature.  The mistake this Canadian surgeon made is quite commonly made by American surgeons as well.  And yes, American medicine is advanced, but a lot of people receive bad care.  Most of the people who benefit from our medical advances either have great health insurance through their employer (which is becoming more rare), are wealthy, or will be bankrupt once they are billed.

Unfortunately, too  many Americans are too ignorantly steered by biased sources such as Fox news and misguided and/or corrupt politicians to know better.  Socialized medicine is not a bad thing.  It allows more of the population access to medicine.  People fear that the quality of healthcare will diminish if we offer a government healthplan that will compete with commercial insurance company.  Thanks to FOX news, uneducated loud mouths at town hall meetings, and Republican and Democrat politicians who have their hands deep in the pockets of the insurance companies, this competition will never see the light of day.  So, insurance companies will continue to be able to raise premiums and there will continue to be a segment of the population that make too much money to get medical coverage through Medicaid but not make enough to buy their own insurance. 

The uninsured (mostly the working poor and middle class) are the people who will not seek medical care until a heart attack/ stroke/ cancer, etc, takes them to the ER-->days in the ICU-->expensive medications--> follow-up treatment.  These patients are sometimes incapacitated by their illness, which usually means they will go on disability.  This eventually ends up costing the tax payer more than if that person had some form of coverage (which would have to be something offered by the government because most people can't afford the premiuns, deductibles, and out of pocket cost of most commercial health plans) for preventative care in the first place. 

This whole debate really made me realize that mankind is out to destroy itself.  Americans are out to destroy America.  They want to keep making the rich richer, keep the poor enslaved, and just do away with the middle class altogether.  Why can't we just get it right?

I'm 5'11

(deactivated member)
on 8/17/09 5:45 am
Hi there --

This is one of the remarks from the OP that really caught my attention:

Original appt for the ultrasound was Oct 27th  (healthcare in Canada sucks). I called the central booking office myself to see if there were any cancellations and I managed to get an appt the next morning! 

I find it terribly alarming that initially she was not going to be able to get an ultrasound to identify this problem for nearly ten weeks.  That's a VERY  long time to wait to identify a strange lumpy thing in a person's body!!!

As for the rest of Canadian healthcare, it seems to be hit and miss according to location.  I didn't read most of the post because it just seemed too long for a person who's under the influence of vicodin (me).

Best of luck!

PinkFlamingoes
on 8/18/09 10:21 am - Buckley, WA
She (OP) lives in Canada , but her TT was in Mexico . It doesn't sound like she's blaming him , just wanting to find out what the lump is .

slowgoing
on 8/12/09 11:15 am - CA
Well, THIS says a LOT about Dr. Quiroz! 

I'd would NEVER choose to see him following this situation - his response is horrible!
Laura the Future
Pin-up

on 8/12/09 12:49 pm - Edmonton, Canada
RNY on 07/27/07 with
I'll copy what I said to the other person:

don't base any decision on that email. Dr Quiroz calls me randomly - every month or 2 months just to ask me how I am doing. This is unusual for him because he's always been very responsive :-/ I'm thinking that his english via reading/writing isn't the greatest. I don't think he fully understood my email. I may call him just because our conversation via phone are much better

HW: 366, SW: 342, GW: 165, Maintaining at: 185 (No longer tracking weight loss. Pregnant and due May 1, 2011!)

There are two primary choices in life; to accept conditions as they exist, or accept responsibility for changing them.

Amy Farrah Fowler
on 8/13/09 3:04 am
On August 12, 2009 at 6:15 PM Pacific Time, slowgoing wrote:
Well, THIS says a LOT about Dr. Quiroz! 

I'd would NEVER choose to see him following this situation - his response is horrible!
I have him on a list of plastic surgeons I may go to, and this does not necessarily take him off my list, which is why I was hoping for the follow up on this.

I have heard good things about Dr Quiroz, and know English is not his first language, so I'm hoping it's just a communication thing, and he does right by the OP.
Don 1962
on 8/12/09 7:27 pm
Can you sue your PS for malpractice for leaving the object? 

It was HIS screw up he should be the one taking it out at HIS EXPENSE including airfare etc back to Mexico.

Never, and I mean NEVER, trust a fart!! 

Most Active