UPDATED!!!!! 9 Months Post-op, Just discovered something was left behind

Laura the Future
Pin-up

on 8/12/09 6:17 am, edited 8/17/09 11:58 pm - Edmonton, Canada
RNY on 07/27/07 with
Edit: I went to the hospital and waited in the ER for a CT Scan on Friday ... According to the doctor at the hospital, the Ultrasound tech was WRONG and there's no foreign object in there! But we still don't know what it is so I'm being scheduled for a biopsy. :(

So now you guys can put Dr. Q back on your list of potentials.

So I have this bulge on my abdomen to the right of my BB.. I went to the doctors last week to see if he knew what it was. My guess was hernia. He filled out the req for me to have an ultrasound done. Original appt for the ultrasound was Oct 27th  (healthcare in Canada sucks). I called the central booking office myself to see if there were any cancellations and I managed to get an appt the next morning! I went for the ultrasound on Friday morning at 7:45am and results made it back to the clinic by 10am. I left work early at 3:30 to get to the office before it closed because I was really anxious to see what this huge stupid  bulge was.. Found out that it's a hematoma caused by a "small tubular object" that is lodged in my abdomen. From the dimensions that were given, we can only assume it's a small piece of drain or a sponge of some sort. I have to go to the ER this weekend and sit and wait to see if a doctor will get me in for surgery to get it taken out. The bulge has gone from only noticable when I poke at my stomach and feel around for it... to, when I look down or from the side I can SEE it sticking out. It's 4-5" across :(!!!!!!!!! I am really hoping that a surgeon will take pity in me and book me for surgery the same day. I have vacation (non-refundable) booked for the 29th of this month and I would like to be recovered by then, but that will only happen if they do the surgery this weekend. Sigh...
HW: 366, SW: 342, GW: 165, Maintaining at: 185 (No longer tracking weight loss. Pregnant and due May 1, 2011!)

There are two primary choices in life; to accept conditions as they exist, or accept responsibility for changing them.

Redhaired
on 8/12/09 6:22 am - Mouseville, FL
Oh my goodness.  Who did your plastics and what does he have to say about this?

Red

Laura the Future
Pin-up

on 8/12/09 7:11 am - Edmonton, Canada
RNY on 07/27/07 with
My email to DR Quiroz:

> Hi Joyce (Assuming you're checking emails!)

>

> I recently round out that I have a hematoma in my abdomen on the

> right side which is being caused by a "tubular object" that was left

> in my abdomen after my plastic surgery (it is located in the lower

> right quadrant of my abdomen. Approx 3" to the right and down from

> bellybutton). Could you please ask Dr Quiroz what it could be?

> Either a drain or surgical sponge is my best guess. I have to book

> surgery in order to have it removed next month. :( I am booking a CT

> Scan today to get a better image of it but it would be nice to get

> the Dr's input!

His reply:

Dear Laura;

After so many maonths after surgery the hematomas are

reabsved and if is any fluid left normally you can waigt for it to be

re-absorved or darin it. Not and emergerncy or complicaded matter.\

Dr. Quiroz

HW: 366, SW: 342, GW: 165, Maintaining at: 185 (No longer tracking weight loss. Pregnant and due May 1, 2011!)

There are two primary choices in life; to accept conditions as they exist, or accept responsibility for changing them.

Amarylis
on 8/12/09 7:39 am - Mexico city, Mexico
VSG on 05/20/09 with
Laura the Future
Pin-up

on 8/12/09 7:49 am - Edmonton, Canada
RNY on 07/27/07 with
Yep.... lol.

He is usually really good though! I tend to think he didn't really read the email, which is silly. I responded afterwards and I got no reply. Something is up .. maybe he's busy.

Anyway, I won't worry about his reply too much.

Redhaired
on 8/12/09 1:55 pm - Mouseville, FL
That is bizarre.  Make sure they take lots of pictures of whatever it is in there.  You may want them for documentation.  Also, just in case this is all due to faulty euipment or supplies.  It may not be the docs fault it could be that something he used in there was defective.  In any case I am betting Dr. Q will want to know exactly what is going on.   I have read my operative reports and each time the operating room staff  takes a count of all supplies and equipment both before the procedure and after the procedure.  In your case someone miss counted and that is something I am sure the surgeon will want to address.

Red

Amarylis
on 8/12/09 6:48 am - Mexico city, Mexico
VSG on 05/20/09 with
OMG, so sorry to hear that...Hope you find a surgeon soon!!! I lived 10 years in Montreal and my strategy was faking excruciating pain in order to get a doctor to take care of me...Tell them it hurts really really bad!

Do they think it comes from your RNY or from your plastics??

Good luck to u and keep us posted!!! 
Laura the Future
Pin-up

on 8/12/09 7:12 am - Edmonton, Canada
RNY on 07/27/07 with
Laura the Future
Pin-up

on 8/12/09 7:12 am, edited 8/12/09 7:13 am - Edmonton, Canada
RNY on 07/27/07 with
I think that's what I am going to do!! Pretend like the pain is horrible and make them do it asap. I can cry on command, too.. I will use that to my advantage LOL

Edit: Definitely tummy tuck ... I just can't see it being from the RNY

Amy Farrah Fowler
on 8/12/09 9:16 am
He's on the list of PS's I'm considering, so I hope you post the follow up to this.

I hope you get it resolved ASAP.
Most Active