almost 4 months out, getting steroids in scars on friday (i hope)

hicksgx
on 8/12/09 3:15 am - Hitchcock, TX
I had upper body lift in april.  and all my scars look great except my arms.  Dr. L. says after the silicone strips if they still were not behaving he would do steroid injections.  I havent had much luck with the silicone strips staying on my arms.  I had to tape them on, then the tape made rashes so I stopped.  So, I am so excited that Friday I go back for my 4 month plastic follow up.  Hopefully he will do the injections then. 

Has anyone had steroid injections in their scars? 
Did it help you?

Lost 136 lbs,         
Upper Torsoplasty with Saline implants 4-16-09
Dr. John LoMonaco, M.D. F.A.C.S., www.drlomonaco.com
ShirleyG
on 8/12/09 3:27 am - HALFWAY BETWEEN ATLANTA AND BHAM , AL
Hi there
How will the steriod injections help the scars ...WIll it make them disappear or lighten them or what ..  Just had arms and the incisions didnt quite turn out where i wanted it so am looking at whatr can  be done if they dont fade completely.
I am  UPSET as he promised the incision would only be visible if i lifted my arms and that isnt the truth at the moment .
Thanks in advance
hicksgx
on 8/12/09 3:37 am - Hitchcock, TX
the steroids are supposed to make them shrink or become flatter.  I am not sure what else they will do.  Just basically make them not as inflammed, and heal more completely.  I guess.  This is my own spin on what dr l said at my last apt. 

I can never remember exactly what he says.  I get overwhelmed with knowledge when I'm there.  Which is great, cause I always have tons of questions.
Lost 136 lbs,         
Jupiter6
on 8/12/09 4:24 am - Near Media, Pa- South of Philly, NJ
Promising ANYTHING about arm scars is foolish. Because (in part) we use our arms (and because the skin there in ex-obese people is so thin and non-elastic) we tend to scar pretty badly there, and scars tend to be hypertrophic... and while some people have a thin white line, others have thick, red scars down the anterior aspect of their arms for life. You may be able to revise or otherwise treat the scars, but generally speaking, you also have to live with some scarring.

"Oh sweet and sour Jesus, that is GOOD!" - Stephen Colbert  Lap RNY 7/07-- Lap Gallbladder 5/08--  
     Emergency Bowel Repair
6/08 -Dr. Meilahn, Temple U.  
 Upper and Lower Bleph/Lower Face Lift 
12/08 
     Fraxel Repair 2/09-- Lower Bleph Re-Do 5/09  -Dr. Pontell, Media PA  Mastopexy/Massive 
     Brachioplasty/ Extended Abdominoplasty 
(plus Mons Lift and Upper Leg lift) / Hernia Repair
      6/24/09 ---Butt Lift and Lateral Thighplasty Scheduled 7/6/10
 - Dr. Ivor Kaplan VA Beach

Total Cost: $33,500   Start wt: 368   RNY wt: 300  Goal wt: 150   Current wt: 148.2  BMI: 24.7

ShirleyG
on 8/12/09 6:50 am - HALFWAY BETWEEN ATLANTA AND BHAM , AL
Looks like one could at least know where the incision would be.  How the scar will turn out I can understand isnt predictible but the incision he said would be right on ,,
Didnt happen though so I am not happy.  I talked to him about it on 3 different visits and he said it would be UNDER the arm and visible only if you lifted the arm..
Jupiter6
on 8/13/09 4:29 am - Near Media, Pa- South of Philly, NJ
A skilled surgeon can make a reasonable guess where the scars will lie, but you have to remember, you're lying down and your weight shifts when you are on the OR table, and it really does make it kind of like nailing jello to a tree.

I'm sorry you're disappointed with your results. I know how frustrating that can be.

"Oh sweet and sour Jesus, that is GOOD!" - Stephen Colbert  Lap RNY 7/07-- Lap Gallbladder 5/08--  
     Emergency Bowel Repair
12/08 
     Fraxel Repair 2/09-- Lower Bleph Re-Do 5/09  -Dr. Pontell, Media PA  Mastopexy/Massive 

Total Cost: $33,500   Start wt: 368   RNY wt: 300  Goal wt: 150   Current wt: 148.2  BMI: 24.7

Jupiter6
on 8/12/09 4:20 am - Near Media, Pa- South of Philly, NJ
I had steroid injections in the scars behind my ears, which were sore and hypertrophic-- and the soreness almost immediately subsided, as did the swelling.

I'm hoping for a literal "shot in the arms" next week myself.

Emergency Bowel Repair
12/08 

hicksgx
on 8/13/09 3:38 am - Hitchcock, TX
did the injection make them flatter?
Lost 136 lbs,         
Jupiter6
on 8/13/09 4:27 am - Near Media, Pa- South of Philly, NJ
I really couldn't tell you-- the scars are behind my ears and I don't have eyes back there. ;) They hurt less and feel less swollen.

Emergency Bowel Repair
12/08 

ShirleyG
on 8/13/09 5:29 am - HALFWAY BETWEEN ATLANTA AND BHAM , AL

MAYBE when the swelling is gone it will be better ,,  These darned ace bandages are killing me . Once he takes the stitches out in 10 days i can go to the sleeves he said.
Did you do the ace wraps etc too?

Most Active