still want to talk about scars

katiekat412
on 8/11/09 3:28 am
Hi all,

I hate to be a broken record, but I still need help with the arm and thigh lift options. I really have no idea how bad the avereage scar is. I've seen a couple (thanks Diane!) that are immeidately post op, but what are the long term scarring effects? It's hard to find this on the surgeon's sites.

If you had it done, do you freely wear tank tops and bathing suits, or are you self conscious about the scar??

Even my surgeon said I'm a grey zone- I can definately use the help in those areas to look "normal", but I could have faired worse for the WL.

PLEASE HELP! Thanks :)

Highest weight 250/ SW 233/Lowest Weight 135/Regain Highest 175/Current Weight 160

Queenie63
on 8/11/09 4:21 am
I had my arms done 3 years ago.  The scars are barely visable but I have some pouching of skin at the elbow.  I don't like it.  I guess you have to talk to your doc about having the incision go below the elbow to avoid this if you have a lot of excess skin. 
katiekat412
on 8/11/09 4:25 am
Thanks! How long did it take for your scars to fade to white? How long until they were flat? It's new to me that the scars pucker first?? This sounds scary.

Thanks so much!!!

Highest weight 250/ SW 233/Lowest Weight 135/Regain Highest 175/Current Weight 160

Queenie63
on 8/11/09 5:56 am
Very quickly - within a few months.  I don't quite remember.  I know I wear a bathing suit without any issue of my arms and also sleeveless clothes and tank tops. 

Yes, there is a little puckering but it goes away so fast within a week or two.  It is worth the wait.  I lost about 100 poundsIt is not unlike a cut.  I had a pressure "thing" to wear and it helps.  I had no pain at all from the surgery.  I even forgot and rolled out some cookies within 10 days of the surgery. 

cleos_mom
on 8/11/09 6:59 am - phila., PA

my PS says sometimes you have to substitue scar for skin, what  would you rather have. I would rather have the scars cause they will fade in time everyone is different. The lighter skin you are the better they will look and the lighter they are. The scars on my belly are lighter then the scars on my thighs,cause the skin on my thighs is darker from being in the sun. I do wear tank tops, short shorts, & bathing suits and I wear my scars proudly they do not bother me.
If you are really worried about the scars maybe think what bothers you more scar or skin, I would rather have scars then all that flabby skin, check out my pix

BigCityGirl
on 8/11/09 11:26 am - San Diego, CA
You can see my brac scars on my photos at 8 months post op - taken last October.  They're much better now - nearly a year later.  I don't even notice them any longer - I'm wearing sleeveless and short sleeved stuff regularly now.  At first, I was uncomfortable showing my new scars at the gym doing my upper body weight lifting.  Today, I go there every morning and do my thing and never give it a thought.  And I don't get stares from anyone.  I'm very happy I had the surgery.

I can't help you on the leg stuff - I only had lite lipo.  I didn't carry much of my former weight in my legs by some miracle of God. 

Good luck with your surgery.
Surgeon: Joseph Grzeskiewicz, M.D., F.A.C.S.
La Jolla Cosmetic Surgery Centre
katiekat412
on 8/12/09 3:37 am
Thanks so much!! Do you think you just got more comfortable with the scars, or do you think they faded so well they aren't that noticable? Or maybe a combination?

BigCityGirl
on 8/12/09 4:58 am - San Diego, CA
They faded a lot.  The did not disappear but now, at this point, I think folks have to really focus on my arms to notice them.  Before they were shockingly noticeable, not it's very subtle.  It's kinda like the scar on my neck from my thyroid surgery - at first I couldn't stand looking at myself in the mirror and I noticed that when people were talking to me they would stare at the scar.  Now, nobody looks at my neck and I don't see it when I look in the mirrow.  So I think it's a combo.

The problem with not having the brac is you always have that bulk in your arms - you can never hide it, really.  At least now, after the surgery, I can always wear a long sleeve shirt or jersey and it looks wonderful.  Of course, like I said earlier, I wear short sleeves most of the time and I've trained myself not to raise my arms up too high to expose them.  I keep my arms in the most attractive position at all times.
Surgeon: Joseph Grzeskiewicz, M.D., F.A.C.S.
La Jolla Cosmetic Surgery Centre
Mendee M.
on 8/11/09 1:11 pm - Mulvane, KS
In the consult I had yesterday, the PS mentioned possibly using steroid shots to help the scars. I had never heard of that. He also said if they really bothered me at 2 years out, he could fix them. I am opting for the scar over the skin. I am also going to have my "side boobs" removed at the same time. I HATE the excess skin that sticks out over my bra!!!
~~Mendee~~

10 pounds below goal!                  
Loris
on 8/11/09 10:33 pm - Midlothian, VA
My surgeon said if I was sitting on the fence about doing my arms then maybe I wasn't ready to get them done.  Like you, I could have fired much worse.

Loris  344/119@ 5'2" Below Goal                    
                                     Lower body lift  10/17/2007
                                     Upper body lift     1/23/2008

Most Active