small infection on incision line after TT

scrappywings
on 8/9/09 4:34 pm - Riverside, CA
Hi Everyone,
I am 41/2 weeks out from a tt and hernia repair.  Everything was going along great until yesterday when I noticed that a couple little spots on the incision line were oozing a little puss/blood.  The rest of the incision looks dry and clean.  I will call the surgeons office tomorrow, but I really don't want to drive 3 hours just to have them look at it and say, "oh, just keep it clean and watch it".  Anyone else have a couple of little oozing spots this far out?  What did your ps do?  Anything special I should be doing.

I'll let you know what the ps office says.
Thanks,
Mary
Jessie-F
on 8/9/09 11:47 pm
Hi Mary,

At about  4 1/2 I too developed a little oozing from an incision site (BR incision), and thats exactly what my surgeon said to do "oh, just keep it clean and watch it". Mine seemed like a spitting stitch and did resolve on its own. Can you take a pic of it and send it to him so you don't have to drive that far? Good luck.
MelissaF
on 8/10/09 12:44 am - Northwood, IA
Not a doctor here but it sounds like a "stitch abscess".  I got these and still am battling with them off and on and I am over 3 months out.  You may spit out a suture like they said above, looks like fishline.  It is a pain but it is pretty normal.  are you running a fever? If so, definently be seen and wouldn't hurt to just touch base and let them know about it.  My doc had me soak in epson salt soaks twice a day for 25 mins... pulls any of the pus, blood, fluid and ineternal sutures that are trying reject out.

good luck!
Hugs, Melissa 

http://www.onetruemedia.com/shared?p=6166c1bf498224d5a8b93e&skin_id=701&utm_source=otm&utm_medium=text_url

RNY- 12/04/06 with Dr. Matt Glasock

LBL - 4/28/09 with Dr. Rene Recinos

scrappywings
on 8/10/09 8:05 am - Riverside, CA
Thanks for your replies.  I spoke to my ps's nurse this morning and she said exactly what you said, that it was probably just a stitch, but it was all completely normal.  She said to keep it clean and dry and put a bandaid on it.  I don't have a fever and it doesn't hurt, I just hate the oozing.  I have a scheduled appointment to see the ps next Tuesday, so we'll see what he says. 

Thanks,
Mary
Redhaired
on 8/10/09 12:40 pm - Mouseville, FL
If you get a fever, the area around the hole starts turning red or if there is a odor -- be sure you call your surgeon right away.

Most Active