Bowel Prep - prior to tt?

tammyncook
on 8/10/09 3:40 am - Osceola, WI
I have my tt & hernia repair next Monday- nothing to prep besides nothing to eat or drink after midnight.
Tammy
Highest Weight 290 / Day of Surgery 275 / Doctor's Goal 190 / My Goal 160 / Now 143
(deactivated member)
on 8/10/09 6:55 am
Yes, I was required to swallow a bottle of magnesium citrate.  This did not have the desired effect of emptying my bowels of everythin I had consumed the previous two weeks -- nothing happened..

The concern was, it's hard for patients to bear down to make a bowel movement after this kind of reconstructive surgery.  I can tel you that pooping a week later was an exhausting activity, and it was pretty much the only thing I did that day other than sleep.  

But clearly, doctors vary a great deal in what they require!

Kim J.
on 8/10/09 10:00 am - Claremore, OK
That was a good question.  I have wondered the same thing.  I know after my RNY I had so many problems going.  It was terrible!  I hope things go differently after TT.  Because I know you can't bear down.

When I stand before God at the end of my life, I would hope that I would not have a single bit of talent left, and could say, "I used everything you gave me." Erma Bombeck

19 lbs lost before surgery
9/3/09  Full TT, MR, BL, BA, Arm Reduction and Lipo 10-12 lbs skin/fat removed

DS Facts
on 8/10/09 11:33 am
For me it's not required but suggested. It's safer for you in the event the bowel gets nicked in error while they operate. I am doing a bowel cleansing just to be on the safe side.
Jessica H.
on 8/13/09 1:23 pm - Johnson City, TN
Yep.  I had to do a full prep just like with the RNY.

330/294/161/170

highest/surgery/current/GOAL!  *Below Goal!*

Most Active