Six Weeks Post Abdominoplasty/brach/mastopexy/ etc

Jupiter6
on 8/9/09 10:00 am, edited 8/9/09 2:30 pm - Near Media, Pa- South of Philly, NJ
Finally seeing some water move-- I have lost about 5 pounds of water this week and am resting just this side of normal weight at 150.8 (150.2 for me is a normal BMI.) Hopefully I'll drop another 5-6 pounds or so, but until my legs and backside are done, that'd be it for me.

I started pushing in the exercise this week. I find that activity burns more than exercise, so I have been cleaning and organizing the house and shopping a lot although I still dare not buy any pants! I walk a mile or two a day, fast-- working my way back to three. I do a weight circuit at my gym, but no core muscle work, and light hand weights for now.

The purple patches at the elbows and hypertrophic scars are probably because I can't just lie around.  I'm using CVS' store brand silicone gel strips and I think they're softening my worst scars a bit.

My elbows hurt but I have become used to it. The hole in my left hip is cleaning up well and is now the size of a pencil eraser-- it was silver dollar sized. There's a crunchy scab at the top of my pubis (where the incisions come together) but hopefully that'll fall off eventually. The sutures on the left of my mons bleed a little from time to time because it's where my underwear hits me. I have full range of motion in both arms but go easy when I raise them because they are still very tight.

I don't wear compression garments of any type. If I am going to be out late in the day I wear shapewear. I do my own version of a lymphatic massage with lotion every night at bedtime-- seems to help. I drink a lot and am getting in 1700 cals and over 170g of protein a day-- that and the exercise seem to be serving me well.

I'll have a check up next Monday. Between now and then, it'd be nice to lose more water!

"Oh sweet and sour Jesus, that is GOOD!" - Stephen Colbert  Lap RNY 7/07-- Lap Gallbladder 5/08--  
     Emergency Bowel Repair
6/08 -Dr. Meilahn, Temple U.  
 Upper and Lower Bleph/Lower Face Lift 
12/08 
     Fraxel Repair 2/09-- Lower Bleph Re-Do 5/09  -Dr. Pontell, Media PA  Mastopexy/Massive 
     Brachioplasty/ Extended Abdominoplasty 
(plus Mons Lift and Upper Leg lift) / Hernia Repair
      6/24/09 ---Butt Lift and Lateral Thighplasty Scheduled 7/6/10
 - Dr. Ivor Kaplan VA Beach

Total Cost: $33,500   Start wt: 368   RNY wt: 300  Goal wt: 150   Current wt: 148.2  BMI: 24.7

Renee2007
on 8/10/09 12:24 am - Central, FL
It's definitely a slow process for some of us. I'm battling the swelling too and some days are just worse than others. I'll just be glad to know what size/weight i'll end up. Getting dressed each day is always an adventure...LOL  You look great and I'm sure when it's all said and done you'll be thrilled.

Renee
 My DS   
SW/263  CW/136 GW/150

Jupiter6
on 8/10/09 10:28 am - Near Media, Pa- South of Philly, NJ
It was already worth the price of admission, but damn, the swelling could kill ya sometimes! Thanks-- and good luck!

"Oh sweet and sour Jesus, that is GOOD!" - Stephen Colbert  Lap RNY 7/07-- Lap Gallbladder 5/08--  
     Emergency Bowel Repair
12/08 
     Fraxel Repair 2/09-- Lower Bleph Re-Do 5/09  -Dr. Pontell, Media PA  Mastopexy/Massive 

Total Cost: $33,500   Start wt: 368   RNY wt: 300  Goal wt: 150   Current wt: 148.2  BMI: 24.7

inkerdoodles
on 8/10/09 12:39 am - Schenectady, NY

The swelling is what literally drives me crazy... Last Wednesday my final drain was removed (after 23 days but who was counting.. LOL) and that day I was approved to not wear the binders I was given as long as I wore some kind of 'compression' garment. I find that if I'm not in my binder, because of the spandex in any of the compression garments I still swell a bit. So I've been wearing my binders when not in the pool (when I was lounging by the pool I purchased a torso compression garment to wear that is better and lighter than my binders)....

I just wish that after 4 weeks I'd start to see the scale moving more in the right direction. I'm still hovering at my surgery weight despite the fact that 11 lbs were removed. Since today is so humid I can only imagine how much water I'll retain today even though I'm drinking drinking drinking..... I can't wait for Fall.... :)

Lisa...   HW/ 314.7   SW/ 280   CW/ 180ish

RNY ~ 01/25/2008 Terrence Clarke (Ellis Hosptial Bariatric Center).... Lower Body Lift with butt lift and upper thigh lift ~  07/14/2009 Sanjiv Kayastha (K Plastic Surgery) -- LOVE IT !!!!

Jupiter6
on 8/10/09 10:26 am - Near Media, Pa- South of Philly, NJ
Took me six weeks to get back to my starting weight-- I know how you feel. And swelling's weird-- it's super hot here too, but I have been indoors, but somehow my belly knows-- I'm hugely swollen today and super thirsty.

Emergency Bowel Repair
12/08 

Newlifeagain
on 8/10/09 4:28 am - Bakersfield, CA
Jupiter, you look fantastic!  It's amazing how different you look with the plastic surgery that you've had done so far.  I'm really inspired by your results!

Thanks so much for sharing your journey.

Rose

Jupiter6
on 8/10/09 10:27 am - Near Media, Pa- South of Philly, NJ
Thanks. There's a lot of pain involved, but I'm slowly getting there!

Emergency Bowel Repair
12/08 

Kennedy12
on 8/10/09 6:45 am - Chicago, IL
Jupiter,

I've really enjoyed following your latest PS journey. I see that you are back to working out and wanted to ask you a question..

I am addicted to Pilates and wondered how long you think it will take for you to be able to do hardcore core work again? I was happy to see you are doing weights, but how long will you feel it necessary to avoid your core?

Thanks in advance!

Jillian
Phase 1 Plastic Surgery Completed 9/9/09 with Dr. Siamak Agha.

Jupiter6
on 8/10/09 10:24 am - Near Media, Pa- South of Philly, NJ
As my plastics guy says (God love him) "What the hell do you need to work your core for? I just made it as tight as it's gonna get!" Good point, that. Unless you are trying for a 6 pack (which he says is mostly genetic) your core will be stong in time. If your muscles are holding you up, they're doing their job. ;)

I do everything BUT abdominal exercise on my machines, at 6 weeks out. I had a rough hernia repair (they got mah belly button!) and a lot of pain in the belly so I am not about to tweak it just yet.

Walk a lot. It'll help move the water around. Anything that raises your heartrate or is weight bearing's not a great idea for a while.

Emergency Bowel Repair
12/08 

Kennedy12
on 8/10/09 10:37 am - Chicago, IL
I am not trying for a six pack, I just LOVE Pilates and that is all core, for the most part. I already have awesome abs under all my skin, I just like to work them and keep them in shape.

I am sure I will find my way, there are lot's of other types of exercises I can do to help with swelling and for posture, etc. I just think I might go into withdrawals without my Pilates for a while. At the same time, I don't see myself going back at it after six weeks. Time will tell, I suppose.

Thanks for the response, it's really been helpful for me to be able to follow your progress!

Jillian
Phase 1 Plastic Surgery Completed 9/9/09 with Dr. Siamak Agha.

Most Active