Denied

kendralynn
on 8/9/09 7:52 am - IA
Weight isn't the issue. I had my surgery 5 years ago and have lost 200 lbs. I've been at my current weight for 3 years. 

Can I add mental anguish/depression to my appeal?  
Road Less Travelled
on 8/9/09 11:30 pm
VSG on 12/13/10 with
how about lower back pain

July 2007 = lap band ...Sept 2010: lap band removed....Dec 2010 VSG
HW: 283... VSG SW: 244 ..  got down to 170 -- now at 193 and "back on track" ....GW: 155

inkerdoodles
on 8/10/09 12:45 am - Schenectady, NY

absolutely...... your mental status should also be considered when reviewing all of the reasons for your appeal. Although I doubt it will be the sole deciding factor. Hopefully they will look at the entire appeal as it applies to their guidelines for determining medical necessity.

Just playing devils advocate here....

Do you have 6-12 month documented rashes that do not respond to conservative treatment? have you visited a chiropractor for back pain? You weight hasn't fluctuated more than 5 lbs in the past 6 months has it? just checking.

Definately give the carrier a call to request in writing their medical guidelines for necessity.

Lisa...   HW/ 314.7   SW/ 280   CW/ 180ish

RNY ~ 01/25/2008 Terrence Clarke (Ellis Hosptial Bariatric Center).... Lower Body Lift with butt lift and upper thigh lift ~  07/14/2009 Sanjiv Kayastha (K Plastic Surgery) -- LOVE IT !!!!

inkerdoodles
on 8/8/09 10:46 pm - Schenectady, NY

Kendra... I feel your pain.. I too was denied even after an appeal. My only suggestion is that you contact your insurance company and obtain their medical guidelines for the procedure you were requesting. It may be something as simple as you didn't meet the weight loss guidelines or time guidelines (ie: x amount of months post op or x amount months at a weight plateau)..

I wish you luck...

Lisa...   HW/ 314.7   SW/ 280   CW/ 180ish

RNY ~ 01/25/2008 Terrence Clarke (Ellis Hosptial Bariatric Center).... Lower Body Lift with butt lift and upper thigh lift ~  07/14/2009 Sanjiv Kayastha (K Plastic Surgery) -- LOVE IT !!!!

That is so understandable!! I wish you the best of luck in your appeal!
Most Active