What should I expect after tummy tuck

Anjail
on 8/7/09 6:04 am - Detroit, MI

I'm having tummy tuck on 8/17/09. My original date was 8/24/09 but learned today my date had to be moved up. Anyway I am scared as hell. I'm only taking 2 weeks off work since I have a sit down job. I mean I literally sit all day long. Question, how long will it take before I see results? Will I be able to fit my regular clothes after surgery? Will I lose a pant size once all the swelling goes down? Please anyone respond.

sanguinarythorn
on 8/7/09 6:15 am - Newport News, VA
I have a sit down job too. I was back to work part time in a week, and back to work full time by 2 weeks. I think you'll be fine.

I'm almost a month out now, and I'm just beginning to see the swelling go down. I was actually able to wear my pre-pregnancy size 12's yesterday! Coming home from the hospital, I was in 15/16 because of the swelling... so it's going down considerably now. Depending on how much skin they ultimately take off, I'd say you could lose a couple sizes by the time it's all said and done with. 
Anjail
on 8/8/09 4:23 am - Detroit, MI
Thank  you for your post. I hope a lose another pants size once this is all over with. I'm so looking forward to this but really have no idea what I will look like after or if I will like the results. I do trust my surgeon creative ability but I'm just scared. I'm sure I'm not the first person whom has felt like this. My surgery is scheduled for 8/17/09 which is right around the corner. I filled all my meds today at my pre-op apt. Question, how long were you in pain and how long was it before you were able to stand up straight?
sanguinarythorn
on 8/8/09 10:42 am - Newport News, VA
For me, the worst pain was the first 3-5 days, and I was pretty much off pain meds by 1 week, unless I really over exerted myself or something. I was standing semi straight by a week. I was standing completely straight by 2 weeks. Everyone is really different though.

I was really scared before my surgery too. But it is SO worth it. I would do it again in a heart beat if I had it to do over.
Jupiter6
on 8/7/09 10:58 am - Near Media, Pa- South of Philly, NJ
I had my surgery June 24th and still cannot wear my pre-surgery pants. Not even close.

You will see results immediately, but you'll feel like hell so you won't be too impressed.

Dunno what you will or will not lose. Depends how much is removed.

"Oh sweet and sour Jesus, that is GOOD!" - Stephen Colbert  Lap RNY 7/07-- Lap Gallbladder 5/08--  
     Emergency Bowel Repair
6/08 -Dr. Meilahn, Temple U.  
 Upper and Lower Bleph/Lower Face Lift 
12/08 
     Fraxel Repair 2/09-- Lower Bleph Re-Do 5/09  -Dr. Pontell, Media PA  Mastopexy/Massive 
     Brachioplasty/ Extended Abdominoplasty 
(plus Mons Lift and Upper Leg lift) / Hernia Repair
      6/24/09 ---Butt Lift and Lateral Thighplasty Scheduled 7/6/10
 - Dr. Ivor Kaplan VA Beach

Total Cost: $33,500   Start wt: 368   RNY wt: 300  Goal wt: 150   Current wt: 148.2  BMI: 24.7

Anjail
on 8/8/09 4:24 am - Detroit, MI
Thank you for your post. I hope the pain is not going to be too bad. As far as results I'm so looking foward to seeing what I'm going to look like
Ehill30
on 8/7/09 2:29 pm - Sacramento, CA
 Just wanted to say I'll be thinking about you.  I might have been able to work sitting down at 2 weeks but It would have been a stretch.  I am a month exactly today I can wear my pre-surg. clothes but they are tight. I also have some wound healing issues but things are getting more under control.  I dont want to scare you, maybe I am a sissy but seriously until day 5 I really thought I was going to die.  It was the most excruciating pain of my life.  I was not prepared for it so learn from me take some time to plan and have someone to help you.  I loved my wedge pillow that I bought it really helped me be comfortable.  have your vitamins ready and out.  Show who ever is going to be with you how you like your protein shakes cause you wont feel like eating.  If you want to chat please message me and try not to worry, be prepared and all will be fabulous!!
Anjail
on 8/8/09 4:18 am - Detroit, MI
Thanks for responding. I went to see my surgeon this morning for all of my pre-and post-op things I must do. Hopefully the pain won't be too bad but I know that it probably will. One thing I did ask for was liquid pain killer instead of pills. I remember after the bypass surgery my surgeon perscribed liquid vicoden and it was the best. It only takes about 2 minutes to kick in. I filled all of me perscription today and going tomorrow to get me a body pillow. The real issue that scares the hell out of me is the fact that I don't know what I am really going to look like. I'm mean I do trust my creative ability and her work it's just I have no idea what I will look like. I've seen her work and it looks like but that's on others not me. Anyway I guess I need to stop stressing over this and trust that everything is going to look fabulous.
Ehill30
on 8/8/09 4:50 am - Sacramento, CA
 I started out with Liquid Loratab and it was not nearly strong enough to keep on top of the pain so they perscribed percoset which was awesome.  So if the liquid does not work do not be afraid to speak up and tell them you need something stronger.  Everything is going to be great and the results will be fabulous.  Just make sure you have someone to help you.  I had a body pillow and a wedge and the wedge was way more comforatable for me because I dont have a recliner to sleep in so I put a pillow under the wedge and then one on top so I could sleep in bed.  I also put a pillow under my knees.  I cant wait to hear how you are doing you are going to be great!!!!!!!!
Melissa M.
on 8/8/09 2:10 pm - Seabrook, TX
You will see results immediately but it won't be the final result.  I'm seven weeks out and although I love my results so far, I know it will only get better as my swelling goes away.  Some people say they don't get to know their true final size until about 3-6 months.  Of course a lot does depend on how much skin is removed.  Some only get about 4 or 5 pounds removed and others as much as 17 pounds or more.  Of course the less pounds removed the smaller the change.  But you will look great and your clothes will fit so much better!
Most Active