On-Q pain pump

(deactivated member)
on 8/6/09 6:00 am - West Central FL☼RIDA , FL
Did anyone use the On-Q pain pump?
I'm thinking of having it when I do my tummy tuck...........

Was it worth it?  Did it really help?

Was it painful to remove?

THANKS!!!
momto3boyz
on 8/6/09 6:15 am - Hampstead, NC
I had one when I had my panni removed and it was worth it. I wish they had refilled it instead of pulling it out. I wore mine for a week and when the med ran out they told me to take it out. LOL that was interesting.Ilive 45 mins from the doctor so they told me to do it at home. It didnt hurt but you will have leads that go to your incision and they are about a mile long when you are pulling them out. But it didnt hurt!! Was well worth having it!

Good Luck
Melissa

429/395/225/184/185 6' height

1st dr appt/surgery/dr goal/current/my goal

BigCityGirl
on 8/6/09 6:31 am - San Diego, CA
Mine was included with the price of my surgery but I was quoted $500 by other surgeons who offered it as an optional thing.  I would highly recommend it - the surgery was almost painless with this pump.  It runs out after about three days but after that the pain is very tolerable.  Painless to remove.  Go for it!
Surgeon: Joseph Grzeskiewicz, M.D., F.A.C.S.
La Jolla Cosmetic Surgery Centre
DrL
on 8/6/09 7:00 am - Houston, TX
It works like a charm in some patients, and is less effective in others. But I do feel that it reduces the amount of narcotics/pain pills most patients take.

It is routine for patients to remove it, and this si a simple and painless procedure. The little tubes are about the diameter of a piece of uncooked spaghetti.  Maybe cooked angel hair pasta.
Time for my lunch, I guess....
John LoMonaco, M.D., F.A.C.S.
Plastic Surgery
Houston, Texas

www.DrLoMonaco.com
www.BodyLiftHouston.com
Melissa M.
on 8/6/09 11:58 am - Seabrook, TX
It's funny when people asked if it helped or not because whether you had it or not you CAN'T compare to the other.  Yes, I did have it and I think it worked.  Mine only lasted about 3 days although I have heard of some people saying it lasted longer.  Guess it depends how much med it has.  I still did have pain but not excruciating.  I would say go ahead and get it and you'll never have to know how much more pain you're in without it!  It didn't hurt at all when they took it out.  Partly because you're still numb.  I took one of my own drains out and that was thicker and that didn't hurt either.  I think you'll be glad you had it.
PamT
on 8/6/09 11:48 pm - Downey, CA
I had it,,,also included in the price of the surgery.

I have no idea how much it helped because I don't know how much more painful it would have been without it. I did have pain but mainly when I coughed, which was often since I got an ugly persistant cough after the surgery.

The doctor took it out after the third day and absolutely NO pain.

PamT
Jessie-F
on 8/7/09 12:25 am
If you do get the OnQ pump, make sure they remove the clamps. I had mine for 8 days and at my first post op, the surgeon realized that the nurse didn't unclamp it!!! I was wondering why it was so heavy, apparently the meds were never released. The hospital called to apologize after my surgeon called to complain. The nurse was written up too!
My insurance paid for it with my BR otherwise I would have asked for a $500. dollar refund!!

The removal was easy, 300 times less painful than drain removal.

Highest weight:215/ Surgery day:199/ current:139/ Goal weight:130

inkerdoodles
on 8/7/09 12:52 am - Schenectady, NY
I had it, and yes, the price was included in my total price for my surgery..... OH YES.... well worth it, and no, it didn't hurt at all when it was removed...

Lisa...   HW/ 314.7   SW/ 280   CW/ 180ish

RNY ~ 01/25/2008 Terrence Clarke (Ellis Hosptial Bariatric Center).... Lower Body Lift with butt lift and upper thigh lift ~  07/14/2009 Sanjiv Kayastha (K Plastic Surgery) -- LOVE IT !!!!

(deactivated member)
on 8/7/09 1:06 am - West Central FL☼RIDA , FL
Thanks everyone, this really helped me decide to go for the On-Q pump.
Most Active