XPOST: My First PS Consult

katiekat412
on 8/5/09 9:13 pm
Well, I had my first "live" PS consult yesterday. I had sent my info to a Mexican surgeon the week before, Dr. Sauceda, and I was happy with his e-consult.

First, let me say, what a production yesterday! My appointment was over 2 hours long, and I don't think that many people have seen me naked in my whole life! LOL! First, I had the desk person, then some nursing assisant, then a nutritionist, then an old fellow, then the new fellow, then the actual surgeon, then some PA who takes the photos, and then the money lady. Whew!

Anyway, you could say the appointment was positive. The surgeon said I am a perfect candidate since my BMI is around 25, and I'm getting in 85-100g of protein most days, I have good skin quality, and I have good muscle tone from my bazillion hours of exercise. While it's not a slam dunk, insurance may pay for the stomach. I'll know that within the week.

Enter confusion: I can't afford to have the rest of the work done here. Even with my 10% discount for working in the hospital that the surgeon does, the bill comes to twice as much as the surgery would be in Mexico. You see, there is NO WAY I'm not getting the "girls" fixed, aka these saggy sacks of flesh that I fold into a bra every day. And, my legs are disproportionately large, which would only be exacerbated by having a flat tummy. The surgeons agree. So at minimum, that leaves tummy, breasts, and thighs. By that point, arms are take em or leave em!

Sooo....if my insurance pays for the tummy, it would be crazy for me not to take advantage of that here, but then I would need to have another surgery in Mexico, even though both surgeons said they could do it all at one time. That means within three months, I would have two major surgeries and two recoveries, a total of 5 weeks off of work, and most of that time out of the gym??? EEEKKK!!!! The gym is the scariest part. I don't want to wait a year between surgeries because I can't deal with these sorry excuses for boobs!

Help??? So confused

Highest weight 250/ SW 233/Lowest Weight 135/Regain Highest 175/Current Weight 160

hippie_chick
on 8/5/09 9:37 pm - Pensacola, FL
I suppose you'll have to wait for the insurance answer before deciding what to do. Let me know what they say!

NO man or woman is worth your tears... and the one who IS,
won't make you cry!!

Lap RNY 5/21/08 Pre-op - 222 / Current - 137 / Goal -135      

katiekat412
on 8/5/09 10:10 pm
Wow. You read all my babble and were still able to find logic! Yes, you are right. Until I hear from insurance, I can't decide either way. I'm just trying to figure out what I would do if it was covered. Argh! So difficult. Either way, I bet I'll be in Mexico for SOMETHING soon :)

Highest weight 250/ SW 233/Lowest Weight 135/Regain Highest 175/Current Weight 160

hippie_chick
on 8/5/09 11:21 pm - Pensacola, FL
On August 6, 2009 at 5:10 AM Pacific Time, katiekat412 wrote:
Wow. You read all my babble and were still able to find logic! Yes, you are right. Until I hear from insurance, I can't decide either way. I'm just trying to figure out what I would do if it was covered. Argh! So difficult. Either way, I bet I'll be in Mexico for SOMETHING soon :)
From my POV, you have an easier decision than I do... my youngest absolutely has to have braces (or major surgery later) and no insurance... so my PS or his braces.... ****!

NO man or woman is worth your tears... and the one who IS,
won't make you cry!!

Lap RNY 5/21/08 Pre-op - 222 / Current - 137 / Goal -135      

katiekat412
on 8/6/09 3:07 am
Awww!! You have to get PS!! Maybe you can wait on the braces until you have insurance for the kid, and then it will pay for his surgery. Just kidding! Geesh! 

Seriously though, financing, something?? That's rough...

vickie O.
on 8/5/09 10:57 pm - amarillo, TX
hope everything turns out great!!!!!!! vick

EXPERIENCE WITHOUT REFLECTION IS HOLLOW

workingmommy
on 8/5/09 11:23 pm
RNY on 12/10/07 with
Who submitted to your insurance?  Make sure they submitted for all procedures you want.  I was approved for arms, breasts (lift, not implants...those babies were out of pocket), and tummy.  I am having a MTL in Dec, so I will make sure my PS submits for that too.  Also, the tummy was denied twice before they agreed so if they deny you the first time, appeal!  Good luck!

April

160 lbs lost to date!
LBL: 6/10/09
BL/BA/Brachio: 7/14/09
MTL: 6/17/10

aniduff
on 8/5/09 11:38 pm - Red Deer, Canada
VSG on 04/17/08 with
I know that I will not get all I want done covered by my medical.  I am really hoping they cover the butt and bust (excuding the gummy implants)...but I am gonna try and get what I can covered up here...the rest will also be done with Dr Sauceda...If I could afford to have him do it all I would, because I think his work is awesome...but I can't afford it all...(divorce pending!) 
I am just waiting to hear when my consult up here will be, and then after seeing him I will have a better idea of what it is going to cost me to go to Mexico for the rest.

D.O.S-217
Success is the sum of small efforts, repeated day in and day out.

Robert Collier

gaelicprincess
on 8/6/09 4:51 am - Pensacola, FL
VSG on 04/17/09 with
Some food for thought here -- you may not want one surgeon doing all of that anyway.  Not all PS can do tummies, lipo (or TL if that is what you are referring to) and breat lift with augmentation well.  Also, if it is a TL you're talking about, getting a BL/BA and TT with that may be a bit much.  Some docs won't do it all at once because they don't want you under general too long, and also there is a greater risk of necrosis.  I personally don't think I would like to have to recover from a BL and TL at the same time, with a TT.

Why don'y you do the TT here if your insurance pays for it, then head to Mexico for the rest?  Even if the Mexican doctor spaces the procedures out a few days, you can get it all done in one trip.  I hope it works out for you.

Most Active