Need to be at weight goal to have PS?

Mary162
on 8/5/09 8:46 am
Hi,

I am new to this board, so I am sure someone has asked this already, but here goes: do you need to wait until you are at your goal weight to have PS done, or can you have it done when you are a bit overweight still?  I ask because I am assuming that with a fair amount of PS, one loses some weight with the tissue removed.  I am thinking about a LBL, breast lift with augmentation, and removal of batwings.  Maybe an inner thigh job too.  I am about 50 pounds from my goal right now.  Hopefully, I will be within 10-20 pounds of goal by Thanksgiving.  Oh yeah, and how many of the procedures I listed can be done in the same operation?

Thanks!
(deactivated member)
on 8/5/09 10:17 am
Hi, Mary --

To have plastic surgery, most doctors want you to have been at a STABLE weight for about six months.  As you look through this board, you will see some people who had their reconstruction at a very low BMI, and some who might still be considered overweight.  The really impotant factor seems to be weight stability, and excellent general health.  

As for the number of procedures -- this varies tremendously according to surgeon, and patient.  There is a Dr. Hurwitz  who does a complete body lift simultaneously (I believe) -- there are other surgeons who prefer one or two procedures at a time.  It depends on you, your health, your body, and your surgeon.

Keep asking questions.  I'm sure others will weigh in with other, better information.
katiekat412
on 8/5/09 9:16 pm
Weight stable is ideal, but surgeons define that differently. Some by time, aka one year post WLS, or 18 months post WLS, some say no more than 5 lb weight loss per month for the last three months. Some leave it up to the patient.

Anyway, must surgeons will agree, that for the best result, your BMI should be at 30 or below. Often times you can have surgery with a higher BMI, but why? If you are planning to lose more weight, your results will be much better if you can get your BMI down.

Hope that helps! Good luck with your decision.

Highest weight 250/ SW 233/Lowest Weight 135/Regain Highest 175/Current Weight 160

workingmommy
on 8/5/09 11:29 pm
RNY on 12/10/07 with
I was 18 months post WLS, and stable for 6 months before my LBL.  You absolutley should be done losing before you consider plastics, but you don't necessarily have to be at your goal weight.  All surgeons are differnet in what they want, so when you get to the point when you are ready, go on consults and ask lots of questions.  Good luck!

April

160 lbs lost to date!
LBL: 6/10/09
BL/BA/Brachio: 7/14/09
MTL: 6/17/10

BigCityGirl
on 8/5/09 11:38 pm - San Diego, CA
Any competent (and honest) plastic surgeon will tell you that body contouring results are best if you are at goal weight. 
Surgeon: Joseph Grzeskiewicz, M.D., F.A.C.S.
La Jolla Cosmetic Surgery Centre
Kim J.
on 8/6/09 4:37 am - Claremore, OK
I am having my surgery, BL w/implants, Full TT, and arms.  I am very muscular and my surgeon said I may not make it to my goal weight.  He said because I have only lost 13 lbs since April I would be fine for surgery.  I have 25 lbs to go.  I am working really hard this month to get in good shape and lose another 10 lbs, I haven't lost much in a while, but I haven't been working my program either.He also told me 7-10 lbs with TT and Lipo would help my loss also.  He specializes in Bariatric patients so he must know something! HeeHee
I don't know if this is right or wrong.  It seems like everyone has a different opinion on this subject. 
Good Luck! 

When I stand before God at the end of my life, I would hope that I would not have a single bit of talent left, and could say, "I used everything you gave me." Erma Bombeck

19 lbs lost before surgery
9/3/09  Full TT, MR, BL, BA, Arm Reduction and Lipo 10-12 lbs skin/fat removed

BigV
on 8/6/09 4:37 pm - UK
I think as long as you are within 10% to 15% of goal you shold be ok.  The thing to remember is further dramatic weight loss AFTER surgery could lead to more saggy skin to deal with.

Personally I have lost about another 20lb since having some of my plastic surgery and it has only improved my results in my opinion............... However I am a guy with a very large frame at 6ft 5..... so I  guess you could argue 20lb doesn't make much difference............. and of course some of that weight was the skin & lipo that was removed.

Most Active