TT/hernia repair in 2 weeks!

tammyncook
on 8/4/09 3:24 am, edited 8/4/09 3:36 am - Osceola, WI
Hi Everyone!<br />
It's getting ever closer... my hernia repair/tummy tuck is the 17th. I am so very excited! I cannot wait!<br />
My problem is the closer I get I am starting to worry A LOT about coming home from the hospital. I have a VERY rambunctious 2 year old boy at home. He hasn't gotten to the point yet where he understands when someone has an owie that it hurts. I don't know what to do besides lock myself in my bedroom for the first 2 weeks!<br />
About 3 weeks ago I started losing sleep- not sure why, but as the day gets closer, I realize I am pre-occupied with worry about this. <br />
Someone please tell me that their 2 year old suddenly realized when they got home that mommy is hurt and it's probably not a good idea to jump onto her from the back of the couch?<br />
Maybe I should have my husband build that steel box that fits around my mid-section that I dreamt about the other night...
Tammy
Highest Weight 290 / Day of Surgery 275 / Doctor's Goal 190 / My Goal 160 / Now 143
tammyncook
on 8/5/09 3:21 am - Osceola, WI
Geez! 24 hours and no replies? I'm going to take that to mean that I should lock myself in my room!
Tammy
Highest Weight 290 / Day of Surgery 275 / Doctor's Goal 190 / My Goal 160 / Now 143
wenklebe
on 8/5/09 5:12 am - WI
I know my hernia was an extreme case, I had a classic c section (vertical) which caused it.  I have a 15 x 30cm patch that runs from breast bone to pubic bone.  I had a hernia repair/TT and my overnight stay in the hospital became 5 days because of the hernia and manipulating my intestines. (They stop working when handled). My husband had taken a week off work to help care for me, but I was in the hospital the whole time. 

Anyways, my advice... make sure you have some sort of care arrangement for your 2 year old.  I am a full time mom and my son was 2 when I had my surgery.  I was under strict orders LIFT nothing over 10lbs for 6 wks. My mother came to help, but couldn't stay the whole time, so we decided to enroll our son in a child care during the day while my husband was working so there was no chance I would risk lifting him.  

Even though the dr. released me after 6 wks, I continued not lifting for about 6 months... Even now, I don't try to lift anymore than about 40 lbs because I feel that is my limit. 

I also stopped carrying or lifting my son prior to my sugery and worked on teaching him to climb into the car etc prior to my surgery.

Good luck with your surgery.
tammyncook
on 8/5/09 5:24 am - Osceola, WI
Thank you for the well wishes.
Luckily, my husband is not working right now, so I'm not too concerned about lifting, etc. It's keeping my son from hurting me that has me worried! It would be really nice to send him to daycare, but I don't think we can justify that expense seeing as he's not working and I'll be out on disability.
I hope now I don't have any complications from the hernia repair like you did! Mine is from my c-section incision too and it's really big- they tell me it's at least 10cm wide and sticks out pretty far.
Anyway I'm sure it will be a learning process for him. And me too!
Thanks!
Tammy
wenklebe
on 8/6/09 12:59 am - WI
The way the dr. explained to me is that my hernia had my intestines protruding, but because it was so large it didn't cause any physical problems.  But in repairing it, they had to handle my intestines.  They did not have to "reduce" or cut any, but when they handle them, the intestines respond by freezing up for a few days...  So they had to keep me in the hospital on IV for nourishment until my intestines woke again...  I think I didn't eat any thing for about 2 days and then it was startign with liquids, soft foods....  kinda like GBP again.  The staff was amazed how cooperative I was with not being able to eat...  I told told them...when you've been through the GBP surgery, you realize how little food you need...I knew as long as I had the IV I was fine...
tammyncook
on 8/6/09 2:47 am - Osceola, WI
Wow! I was just wondering how they knew your intestines had frozen before you left the hospital? Is it because you hadn't had a bowel movement?
Tammy
wenklebe
on 8/6/09 3:12 am - WI
Maybe my drs were being overly cautious, due to the fact that having had GBP we are easily dehydrated... and by the time you acknowledge it, it could already be severe.
tammyncook
on 8/6/09 3:15 am - Osceola, WI
I suppose that's true. And I'd rather have them be overly cautious than the opposite.
Good information for me tho.. in case anything does come up, at least I won't be too surprised!
Thanks!
Tammy
Most Active