Dr. Agha patients... how did you tolerate PROCARE? Mixture recs, please!

michelle1123
on 8/3/09 7:13 am - San Francisco, CA
Hi All,

I'll be having a brachioplasty and BA/BL with Dr. Agha later this month and have started taking the PROCARE powder supplement.  I find the taste to be horrendous and am having a lot of trouble drinking it without gagging or getting nauseous.   

Have any former or current Dr. Agha patients experienced this, and if so, did you eventually find something to mix it with that worked well?   I'd be really grateful for any suggestions.  

Thanks, 

Michelle  
Kennedy12
on 8/3/09 8:40 am - Chicago, IL
Hi Michelle,

I have to start taking the procare in a few weeks and I am dreading it based on what I've heard.

I know that Totalfreedom (Kelly) was able to come up with a recipe that worked for her, and I think it's on her profile. The only ingredient I remember is raspberry flavoring.

I know of someone else that used orange juice and fresh strawberries, but even then struggled with getting it down.

Did you get the list of suggested recipes and have you tried any of them yet?

I will be following this post closely, as I need to prepare myself.

I wish you luck in finding something that works for you, because I believe drinking it is important. Good luck!

Jillian
Phase 1 Plastic Surgery Completed 9/9/09 with Dr. Siamak Agha.

(deactivated member)
on 8/3/09 9:27 am - West Central FL☼RIDA , FL
I have not had surgery with Dr. Agha but have used ProCare.

I turn it into a pina colda......

About 12 oz ice cold water
2 Scoops Procare
1 Scoop Vanilla Protein Powder (I use EAS Whey protein)
1/2 cup crushed pineapple
a splash of Rum EXTRACT (not real rum!)
a splash of Almond Extract
a splash of Coconut Extract
Whip them all together
Sprinkle in a teaspoon of cinnamon.....mix
I put in the freezer for about 20-30 mins
Top with more cinnamon before drinking.

For me this is the best way to drink it.........lots of cinnamon really helps.  I even drank it today with only the water, procare, vanilla protein powder and close to a tbs cinnamon.  not too bad actually!

ENJOY!!!!!!
happy girl
on 8/3/09 10:41 am, edited 8/3/09 10:42 am
It was so bad, my stomach still turns at the thought of it I still have mine though.  I can't bear to throw out something so expense no mater how bad, I'm weird like that

Good luck, I am sure someone will have a suggestion for you.

2003 RNY, 2007 Revision Distal RNY
April 17, 2009 ~ fleur de lis TT w/Muscle Repair, Medial Thigh Lift, Ventral Hernia Repair 

Melissa M.
on 8/3/09 12:40 pm - Seabrook, TX
I couldn't stand it.   I hate that I spent so much for it and only had maybe 2 servings ( sip or two each time).  I have 2 full tubs sitting in my pantry.  Not sure how well it would have worked, but I healed perfectly without it and have nice thin incisions that are healing beautifully.
happy girl
on 8/3/09 11:24 pm
we are TWINS!! mine is still in my pantry.  I can't even give it away   I did have healing issues, but my body rejected the suture material, so I am not sure the Pro-Care would have helped

I should have looked into getting a refund.

2003 RNY, 2007 Revision Distal RNY
April 17, 2009 ~ fleur de lis TT w/Muscle Repair, Medial Thigh Lift, Ventral Hernia Repair 

totalfreedom
on 8/3/09 1:18 pm - Northern CA
I hear you Michelle.  I took it right on schedule for both of my procedures.  I even brought my blender on the plane with me for the 2nd procedure.  I really liked the recipe I ended up with.

As stated in other posts, I think it is the extract that really helps to cover the awful taste. 

Here is an extract from a previous post.
The flavor is indescribable. All I know is the first time I tried i I mixed it with silk choc soy and it tasted like CRAP!

However I finally found a mixture I could finally stand.  Here it is:

6 frozen strawberries
1 cup crushed ice
1/2 cup 3 berry mix frozen (blueberries, marion and raspberry)
1 scoop Orange flavor Pro-Care (Full scoop a serving size is about 2/3rd's of the scoop)
1/2 Banana
1 Cup Unsweetened Organic Silk Soy (Green Carton)
1 cap raspberry extract

For extra protein I added a scoop of protein powder I get from Costco (EAS Whey protein).

First in the blender, crush the strawberries, then add ice and other berries, crush those. Now add the remaining ingredients and run the smoothie, the run blend. If too thick, add a little more soy.

I liked it very thick, so that is why the frozen strawberries.  However, you need a really good blender for that.  So if thick isn't important, you don't need frozen berries, fresh is fine.  The main thing is getting an extract you like.

I would drink two of these a day and did it 3 weeks prior and 6 weeks after for both surgeries.  This got me 2 2/3 servings a day.

Since I am RNY, I believed it really helped.  I only had one bad wound separation but that was at an area where 3 incisions met (lots of  tension).  I had other separations but they were small and very surface.  I had no infections, just a few spitting stiches all while I had alot of procedures.  i am now wound free (12 weeks). 

I just wish there was an answer for the swelling!  7 months out and still swelling in the butt/tummy and upper back thighs.

Best to you for a great surgery!  happy recovery

Kelli
5' 1, 221pds to 120pds, BMI: 42.5 to 22.8, Size 22WP to 2P.  
Dr. Agha-Newport Beach, CA:  
12.29.08:TT/LBL/UTL/BL/Butt Aug!
 5.10.09: Face/Neck Lift,Implants,lipo, lower eyelids,fat transfer

michelle1123
on 8/3/09 5:37 pm - San Francisco, CA
Thanks to all for the replies.  The suggested recipes are appreciated, and it also helps to know that I'm not the only one struggling to get the ProCare down.  It's certainly going to be a looooong nine weeks till I'm through drinking this.  sigh... :-/
workingmommy
on 8/4/09 12:49 am
RNY on 12/10/07 with
Wow..are you required to take it?  My PS uses Bariatric Advantage products which a pretty palatable.  Good luck!

April

160 lbs lost to date!
LBL: 6/10/09
BL/BA/Brachio: 7/14/09
MTL: 6/17/10

Most Active