Plastic Surgery Sidekick

Monica P.
on 8/2/09 1:50 pm - Long Beach, CA
RNY on 07/19/07 with

Every superhero has a good sidekick. Batman had Robin etc...

So I'm planning my recovery support team after surgery. (I'm scheduled to have a LBL at the end of August)

I'm a single girl who is also in the middle of moving as if life isn't dramatic enough....and after surgery I will be staying with my friend who works from home during the day and her boyfriend who is a doctor will there about 4 days a week.  I also have a nurse friend who said she'd help me take my first shower after surgery

In the weeks following surgery what can I expect to need help with?  Getting on/off the toilet? Getting up out bed...Is sleeping in a bed even possible? Is a recliner better?

dmoore1162
on 8/2/09 11:31 pm
I did not have a LBL - I had an abdominalplasty.  I did find that getting up and down from my recliner hurt like heck.  Once up or down, I was much more comfortable.  As for the toliet, my mom had a raised toliet seat.  (the thing you set on your toliet seat).  That was a God-send for me.  I slept in my recliner for the first 4 weeks.  I am a stomach sleeper. 

Good luck with your surgery.

Delores Moore
it's never too late

sonnieN
on 8/2/09 11:44 pm - grand rapids, MI
My mom, who is nurse, stayed w/ me for the first week and still comes every day. I was able to get a lifting recliner so that helped getting up and down from a seated position. I have the raised toilet seat but never had to use it. One of the biggest things that my mom had to help me w/ was getting up from laying flat. I can now get up from a reclinging position off the couch by myself.

She still comes over and does the dishes and laundry. That is more for the fact that I also had brachio done at the same time and don't really want to use my arms that much.

I'm not sure if it made a difference but I worked out pretty hard and did a lot of weight training before my surgery so at about 2 weeks out I was able to pretty much walk upright and use a lot of my thigh muscles when getting up or sitting down.

Sonya
Jupiter6
on 8/3/09 12:54 am - Near Media, Pa- South of Philly, NJ
I agree on the working out-- especially the thighs. I'd be totally screwed right now if I hadn't strengthened them!

"Oh sweet and sour Jesus, that is GOOD!" - Stephen Colbert  Lap RNY 7/07-- Lap Gallbladder 5/08--  
     Emergency Bowel Repair
6/08 -Dr. Meilahn, Temple U.  
 Upper and Lower Bleph/Lower Face Lift 
12/08 
     Fraxel Repair 2/09-- Lower Bleph Re-Do 5/09  -Dr. Pontell, Media PA  Mastopexy/Massive 
     Brachioplasty/ Extended Abdominoplasty 
(plus Mons Lift and Upper Leg lift) / Hernia Repair
      6/24/09 ---Butt Lift and Lateral Thighplasty Scheduled 7/6/10
 - Dr. Ivor Kaplan VA Beach

Total Cost: $33,500   Start wt: 368   RNY wt: 300  Goal wt: 150   Current wt: 148.2  BMI: 24.7

Jupiter6
on 8/3/09 12:53 am - Near Media, Pa- South of Philly, NJ
The best resting position for healing is like a beach chair-- sitting but reclined, with your knees up. A recliner works, better still, a hospital bed that's fully automatic rents for about $160 a month and it helps you to be able to shift pressure a little and get up and down.

Expect to be FULLY dependent on someone for the first 7-10 days. I had my arms and chest done too, which made getting out of a chair more or less impossible alone for about 2 weeks, especially "deep" chairs.

A commode chair and a shower chair are a tremendous help as well-- I got mine from Craigslist for under $40 for the pair.

"Oh sweet and sour Jesus, that is GOOD!" - Stephen Colbert  Lap RNY 7/07-- Lap Gallbladder 5/08--  
     Emergency Bowel Repair
6/08 -Dr. Meilahn, Temple U.  
 Upper and Lower Bleph/Lower Face Lift 
12/08 
     Fraxel Repair 2/09-- Lower Bleph Re-Do 5/09  -Dr. Pontell, Media PA  Mastopexy/Massive 
     Brachioplasty/ Extended Abdominoplasty 
(plus Mons Lift and Upper Leg lift) / Hernia Repair
      6/24/09 ---Butt Lift and Lateral Thighplasty Scheduled 7/6/10
 - Dr. Ivor Kaplan VA Beach

Total Cost: $33,500   Start wt: 368   RNY wt: 300  Goal wt: 150   Current wt: 148.2  BMI: 24.7

BigCityGirl
on 8/3/09 1:12 am, edited 8/3/09 1:12 am - San Diego, CA
I'm sure everybody's level of care varies.  For me, I stayed in the hospital the first night and then after returning home I had a relative stay with me for one more night.  After that, I was fine, even driving myself to the clinic to see the surgeon on the third day PostOp.  Here's a few things I did to help myself:

1.  I borrowed a recliner from my brother and I put a flannel fitted sheet over it to avoid germ transfer and I stayed in that thing day and night until my last drain was removed - about two weeks Post Op.

2.  I bought a raised toilet seat from Home Depot - it was about $20 and it fits in the bowl with no tools required so it's very easy to install.

3.  I avoided bending and lifting for two weeks.  I forced my cats to take their meals on a table and my brother was nice enough to come by and clean their boxes each day. 

I honestly didn't need any help getting up and down after I returned from the hospital.  Like I said, everyone is different.  My surgery was very easy and a very quick recovery. I was back at the gym after the last drain was removed - doing very light stuff (no lifting) on the elliptical and treadmill.

Good luck.
Surgeon: Joseph Grzeskiewicz, M.D., F.A.C.S.
La Jolla Cosmetic Surgery Centre
CELINES Rodriguez
Torres

on 8/3/09 7:45 am - Springfield, MA
Hey Monica first of all good luck.   I couldn't sleep in my bed for almost two weeks I tried but it was so uncomftarble that I just slept on a big chair in my livingroom, my mom helped me with the binder after showers and watched me if I needed to go to the bathroom. I was grateful I was alone most of the time because I was so tired I slept most of the day for the first couple of days.

Hugz.
Most Active