lower body lift wedding 2 weeks later can I attend?

imaswtgrl
on 8/1/09 2:26 am - MA
I am have a lower body lift and my arms done.
My surgery has been moved up to August 13th, and I have a wedding on the 29th. What are the chances I can still attend?
Also, have a vacation/long weekend planned 3 weeks after surgery, will I really be up to flying and actaully doing ALOT of walking, most of the weekend will be sightseeing.
Your opinion is very important, since you have all either been through or may know someone who has. I know the final decision is mine.
I would love to accept this closer date.

Thanks,

Barbara
bettymolina5
on 8/1/09 5:15 am - NorhPlatte
Wow, firstable let me congratulate you it is very exciting when you get to that point of plastic surgery. I don't mean to be negative but I don't know if you will be able to do all that but let me tell you that I am a healthy 36 year old and very blessed with how fast I bounce back of surgeries andd stuff, with that in mind let me tell you that I did not do a lower body but did a tummy tuck, breast lift and lipo on sides back in 2006 when I was 33yrs.. I wasn't able to get up straight for at least 6 weeks and it took up to 3 months to even feel normal again, I honestly don't think that you will be able to be at your wedding, besides the pain and discomfort you will still be having  drainage tubes on your sides. And as  vacation, is concern in  3 weeks after surgery, I honestly don't see how you would be able to do all that walking, your body will be repairing it self and you will be so week and tired, at least I was, its a big surgery!!. I really hope you reconsider, you could be endangering your self. Take care and best of luck, do post some pics so  we can see how beautiful you look!!!!

Betty....
happy girl
on 8/1/09 6:05 am

I wouldn't have been able to do it, in fact I don't think I went anywhere except the PS office for the first 4 weeks.  What I have found though, is everyone recovers differently and some people could attend that wedding for sure.  Just not me

good luck!

2003 RNY, 2007 Revision Distal RNY
April 17, 2009 ~ fleur de lis TT w/Muscle Repair, Medial Thigh Lift, Ventral Hernia Repair 

imaswtgrl
on 8/1/09 6:15 am - MA
thanks for the replies, and yes, I was concerned with the flight and vacation and it was actually my PS who said, YES, you can fly and go on vacation no problems.
I am trying to decide do I decline the surgery this month and go on my scheduled vacation, with my daughter, which could be the last vacation we will probably take together. She is getting married next year. decisions decisions....I have to decide by Tuesday, that is when my pre-op test are scheduled to be.

Thanks again.
wendybear1
on 8/1/09 6:57 am - Brooklyn, NY
You probably won't be able to go. Last summer, I was still in the hospital following tummy tuck when friends married. I attended via a cell phone on speaker. It was amazing. I could still feel the amazing energy of the day, from the comfort of my hospital bed.

(deactivated member)
on 8/1/09 9:39 am - West Central FL☼RIDA , FL
I think it will be very difficult for you to go to the wedding as well as vacation.  Can you postpone your surgery until after the vacation?
Jupiter6
on 8/1/09 11:14 am - Near Media, Pa- South of Philly, NJ
I'm voting no on both accounts, I'm afraid- especially since you will have no abilty to get about with both your upper and lower halves compromised.

I went out to dinner two weeks out for my brother's birthday-- a three hour car trip and a meal, and was absolutely miserable with pain and hugely swollen. At three weeks, I still wasn't standing fully upright, still slept in a sitting position, and still needed sleeping aids. Full days of walking are really not in the cards. And flying is a VERY bad idea for the newly post op-- your chance of throwing a clot becomes exponentially larger and it's just not worth the risk.

"Oh sweet and sour Jesus, that is GOOD!" - Stephen Colbert  Lap RNY 7/07-- Lap Gallbladder 5/08--  
     Emergency Bowel Repair
6/08 -Dr. Meilahn, Temple U.  
 Upper and Lower Bleph/Lower Face Lift 
12/08 
     Fraxel Repair 2/09-- Lower Bleph Re-Do 5/09  -Dr. Pontell, Media PA  Mastopexy/Massive 
     Brachioplasty/ Extended Abdominoplasty 
(plus Mons Lift and Upper Leg lift) / Hernia Repair
      6/24/09 ---Butt Lift and Lateral Thighplasty Scheduled 7/6/10
 - Dr. Ivor Kaplan VA Beach

Total Cost: $33,500   Start wt: 368   RNY wt: 300  Goal wt: 150   Current wt: 148.2  BMI: 24.7

workingmommy
on 8/1/09 2:23 pm
RNY on 12/10/07 with
Sorry..but I have to agree.  I went to Target at 3 weeks out and it kicked my butt.  Also, there is the possiblility that you will have drains, you might still need pain meds (everyone is different).  I think if the vacation is important, that you should postpone the surgery until afterward.  Then you won't have to worry about how you will feel.

April

160 lbs lost to date!
LBL: 6/10/09
BL/BA/Brachio: 7/14/09
MTL: 6/17/10

Melissa M.
on 8/1/09 2:24 pm - Seabrook, TX

I wasn't even able to go to my nephew's graduation party at 2 weeks out.  I mean I could have forced myself to go, but had no desire to go.  I just wanted to stay home in my recliner.  It's one thing to make a 5 or 10 minute trip to the grocery store, and another thing to get all dressed up and sit in a hard chair or bench and  pretend you're feeling well.  Not fun.  As for the trip, I wouldn't even try it.  You probably wouldn't enjoy yourself if you go.   I mean it's not like you won't be able to walk, but why risk your healing and your health or risk a wound separation by doing too much too soon.  I think you should just hold off and enjoy the wedding and your vacation.  I like what someone said in another post, there is no race in having plastic surgery--even though we want it really bad.  As for your dr, I'm really surprised he even agreed to the vacation. It's obvious he has never had a LBL and an arm lift!   .

Now that I think of it, I scheduled my surgery to happen after my daughter's banquet and graduation.  I could have had it 3 weeks before but knew I wouldn't have the energy to throw a party so I bit the bullet and decided to schedule for after.  Glad I did.

imaswtgrl
on 8/1/09 6:42 pm - MA
Thank you everyone for your opinions, and concerns, I have decided what I am going to do.
I have been tossing nd turning most of the night thinking about this, and finally it hit me, I CAN'T do it.
When I travel I take my laptop plus camera equipment (love to take pictures). How am  I suppose to carry that and put it in the overhead compartment. I can't expect my daughter to carry everything all weekend.
I'm going to go back to the original date and tell the PS I can't accept the newer date.
Well maybe with that decision made I can go back to bed.
You know, I came here after my WLS and didn't really feel the warmth, but a friend who had p/s told me to post this message and get people with experience to share their opinions. I'm glad I did.
I think maybe I need to give OH a second chance and finish creating my profile.
Thanks to everyone, I'll keep ya posted. Karrianne see ya at the wedding!
Most Active