I may be on to something!!!

Mendee M.
on 7/31/09 12:10 pm - Mulvane, KS
Hi ALL,

I have been really struggling with submitting anything to insurance because I am sure they will not cover any of it. My panni does not hang enough to even cause a crease (amazingly since I have been large my whole life), I no longer have any sores under the girls (although I did all last summer) and I can't think of any medical reason for a LBL and Brach (just my mental wellness and self confidence).

However, I am currently working on my Masters in Taxation and found an IRS revenue ruling where the IRS allowed a medical deduction for a face lift. Typically, nothing cosmetic is allowed unless it corrects a birth defect, or a problem that relates to disease or trauma. However, the revenue ruling I found states "Since the purpose of the taxpayer's operation was to affect a structure of the human body, its cost is an amount paid for medical care as defined in blah blah blah of the regulations. Therefore, the amount the taxpayer paid for the operation is deductible as a medical expense within the limitations of section..."

I have sent an email to my instructor (a tax attorney and circuit court judge) for his thoughts. I guess if insurance wont pay, I will deduct it on my taxes!!!

Has any other self pays deducted the expenses on your taxes???
~~Mendee~~

10 pounds below goal!                  
Wendy_Canada
on 7/31/09 12:52 pm - Canada
I haven't yet but i'm planning on putting it on my income tax for the year 2009.  This is Ontario Canada that this is allowed. An accountant told me i can do this.  Also when i went out of country for my gastric bypass a percentage of my gas my food my companion being husband or friend that travels with you to assist you (their food) and your hotel room.

Wendy

Jupiter6
on 7/31/09 3:14 pm - Near Media, Pa- South of Philly, NJ

I found out when I tried to use my FSA for plastics fees that the IRS almost never finds any kind of cosmetic surgery medically necessary, whether your doctor or insurance do or not.

My mom insists I should itemize this year and try for the deduction anyway-- I'll let you know what I hear.

"Oh sweet and sour Jesus, that is GOOD!" - Stephen Colbert  Lap RNY 7/07-- Lap Gallbladder 5/08--  
     Emergency Bowel Repair
6/08 -Dr. Meilahn, Temple U.  
 Upper and Lower Bleph/Lower Face Lift 
12/08 
     Fraxel Repair 2/09-- Lower Bleph Re-Do 5/09  -Dr. Pontell, Media PA  Mastopexy/Massive 
     Brachioplasty/ Extended Abdominoplasty 
(plus Mons Lift and Upper Leg lift) / Hernia Repair
      6/24/09 ---Butt Lift and Lateral Thighplasty Scheduled 7/6/10
 - Dr. Ivor Kaplan VA Beach

Total Cost: $33,500   Start wt: 368   RNY wt: 300  Goal wt: 150   Current wt: 148.2  BMI: 24.7

Mendee M.
on 7/31/09 3:51 pm - Mulvane, KS
I will let you know what I hear from my instructor / tax court judge . The regs can be SO convoluted!!!
~~Mendee~~

10 pounds below goal!                  
(deactivated member)
on 8/1/09 12:56 am - West Central FL☼RIDA , FL
I'd love to know what you find out because I've been self pay for everything.  When I read the tax law on the IRS site it seemed to me like I'd be "sol".
Please let me know what you find out.
THANKS!!
(deactivated member)
on 8/2/09 2:57 am - GA
I am a CPA with a Masters in Prof. Accountancy and I have been self-pay for everything...I have had a BL/BA, LBL, lower facial & neck lift, upper & lower eyes done, and a brow lift...and I have used every deduction on my tax return.  The thing to remember is that to us this is not plastic surgery to us, but reconstructive surgery.  Also, did you notice in your tax research that IRS has deemed obesity to be a disease.  If so, then these surgeries have restored my body to what obesity destroyed of it.  That is my story and I am sticking to it....

Sassy
Most Active