Ok, first two questions from the PS newbie

Monica P.
on 7/30/09 2:20 pm - Long Beach, CA
RNY on 07/19/07 with

Crunches....in the month I have remaning before a LBL. Can I significantly improve the results by doing crunches every day?

Next question,

For those of you had tummy tucks and lower body lifts and such....how many pounds of excess skin were removed?

scrappywings
on 7/30/09 3:10 pm - Riverside, CA
I just had a tt and hernia repair and the ps removed 9 pounds of skin/fat.
PamT
on 7/30/09 3:34 pm - Downey, CA
Monica,

Crunches? Geeezzz,, I haven't done crunches since high school. First I was too fat,,then too old & lazy once the weight came off.   Seriously. I give you lots of credit for your commitment to exercise. And it shows!! You're looking great!! 

I had the TT on June 2nd. How much he actually took off in terms of weight of the skin, I'm not sure,, I think he said about 3-5 pounds.  The skin itself doesn't weigh alot. But I did get my ol' postRNY nausea back after the anesthesia from the surgeries so I lost several pounds from no appetite and being off work.  

PamT
workingmommy
on 7/31/09 12:51 am
RNY on 12/10/07 with
Anything you can do to strengethn your body is a plus.  I only wish I only wish I had worked on my arms because dr's orders were not to use tummy muscles for a long time so I had to use my arms to lift myself, etc.  As far as skin, I had 17lbs removed during my LBL.  Good luck!

April

160 lbs lost to date!
LBL: 6/10/09
BL/BA/Brachio: 7/14/09
MTL: 6/17/10

BigCityGirl
on 7/31/09 1:07 am - San Diego, CA
No. Crunches won't help.  The muscle tightening done my your surgeon is the equivalent of  10,000 crunches.    I lost 6.3 pounds of skin with my LBL.
Surgeon: Joseph Grzeskiewicz, M.D., F.A.C.S.
La Jolla Cosmetic Surgery Centre
Cindy F.
on 7/31/09 1:51 am - Monterey Park, CA
VSG on 09/18/07 with
Hi Monica

How are you?  So getting ready for the Plastic surgery?  I am having my plastic surgery Oct 5. LBL, tummy tuck, breast lift and lippo.  I am so excited and scared too. 

When are you planning on your plastic.

You look great.  What a journey this has been.

Hugs and kisses
 Cindy F  "Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass... It's about learning to dance in the rain" 
Melissa M.
on 7/31/09 2:30 am - Seabrook, TX
I lost 10 pounds after my lower body lift.  I have heard of some surgeons not needing to do muscle tightening because the muscles were in good condition.  How much that has to do with exercise or one's lucky genes and not having children, I don't know.  It is always a good idea to be in the best possible condition for any surgery.

Jupiter6
on 7/31/09 4:47 am, edited 7/31/09 4:48 am - Near Media, Pa- South of Philly, NJ
My PS is of the opinion that crunches are useless and asinine. I know because I asked. ;) If the point is to "strengthen your core"-- well, if you walk upright without pain, your core's fine-- and if the point is to tighten your abs so they look good, that's largely genetic. Abdominoplasty tightens abs much more effectively. It will not "help" you post operatively because yo're not going to be able to use those muscles for a while-- better to strengthen your legs, you'll need 'em.

I had an abdominoplasty-- my pannus weighed 9.5 pounds, and I lost 220 pounds. It seems like more, but skin weighs less than you'd think.

"Oh sweet and sour Jesus, that is GOOD!" - Stephen Colbert  Lap RNY 7/07-- Lap Gallbladder 5/08--  
     Emergency Bowel Repair
6/08 -Dr. Meilahn, Temple U.  
 Upper and Lower Bleph/Lower Face Lift 
12/08 
     Fraxel Repair 2/09-- Lower Bleph Re-Do 5/09  -Dr. Pontell, Media PA  Mastopexy/Massive 
     Brachioplasty/ Extended Abdominoplasty 
(plus Mons Lift and Upper Leg lift) / Hernia Repair
      6/24/09 ---Butt Lift and Lateral Thighplasty Scheduled 7/6/10
 - Dr. Ivor Kaplan VA Beach

Total Cost: $33,500   Start wt: 368   RNY wt: 300  Goal wt: 150   Current wt: 148.2  BMI: 24.7

Siamak Agha MD PhD
on 8/2/09 3:39 am - Newport Beach, CA
Crunches will not really make that much of a difference since your PS will be tightening your abdominal muscles.  However, cardio does help to get you fit and prepared for the surgery.  Also, nutritional supplements are necessary to decrease your complication rate (see http://www.plasticsurgerybodycontouring.com/index.php/learning-center/enhanced-recovery-after-surgery/)

Regarding the weight, as I tell all my patients, it is not important how much is removed, it is more important to concentrate on how much is left behind.  This surgery is about sculpting a feminine hour-glass figure (see gallery-http://www.plasticsurgerybodycontouring.com/index.php/gallery/post-bariatric/ ). 

If too much is removed, as often done, then you will have a masculine figure rather than curves....This concept is the basis of the "High-Definition Body Lift"  that was publised in the OH magazine a few mo nths ago.

Siamak Agha MD PhD
Board Certified, American Board of Plastic Surgery
Member, American Society of Plastic Surgery
Specializing in Post-Bariatric Plastic Surgery
www.plasticsurgerycal.com

Most Active