What do I bring / Will anythng fit?

Susan Hegarty
on 7/30/09 12:39 am - Easton, PA
Good Morning,
I was wondering what do I bring with me the day of surgery?  I will be sent home the same day and not sure what type of clothing to bring with me, or anything to make my ride home more comfortable?  I assume I will not be the same size with all the skin and fat deposits that will be removed?  (I am having hip and thigh lift as well as abdominalplasty).  How much mass did others lose after surgery, more so inches instead of pounds?  Do I need to buy something in a smaller size?   
Thanks so much  
Highest weight:439
Current Weight: 180
Goal weight: 160
**259 Lbs lost!!**

http://www.makemeheal.com/pictures/viewAlbum.php?albumid=9999

dec721
on 7/30/09 1:21 am - Decatur, GA
VSG on 08/07/08 with
Just wear loose, stretchy, elastic-waist slacks and an easy-on big ol' shirt.  Oh, and slip-on shoes, like Birkenstocks or clogs, that will go over those slipper sock things they put on your feet.  A little pillow might be good, too, to hug to your stomach as you ride home.

I wouldn't buy anything smaller until after you heal.  You will be swollen and bandaged up.

Best wishes!           --Dorothy

Highest weight: 292   Pre-op weight: 265   Goal met: 150   Six years out: 185 and trying to lose again!

Jupiter6
on 7/30/09 1:27 am - Near Media, Pa- South of Philly, NJ
Jupiter6
on 7/30/09 1:28 am, edited 7/30/09 1:35 am - Near Media, Pa- South of Philly, NJ
I would not wear pants with your procedures. I would find a sundress that buttons up the front, a size or two larger than you normally wear--- I got one at Goodwill for 50 cents. ;) You can pin your drains under the skirt.

Bring pillows and a lap blanket.

You will not be the same size-- for a while you will likely be bigger, both in inches AND pounds...you will be full of fluids for many weeks. Don't buy anything new until your water weight's left you.

"Oh sweet and sour Jesus, that is GOOD!" - Stephen Colbert  Lap RNY 7/07-- Lap Gallbladder 5/08--  
     Emergency Bowel Repair
6/08 -Dr. Meilahn, Temple U.  
 Upper and Lower Bleph/Lower Face Lift 
12/08 
     Fraxel Repair 2/09-- Lower Bleph Re-Do 5/09  -Dr. Pontell, Media PA  Mastopexy/Massive 
     Brachioplasty/ Extended Abdominoplasty 
(plus Mons Lift and Upper Leg lift) / Hernia Repair
      6/24/09 ---Butt Lift and Lateral Thighplasty Scheduled 7/6/10
 - Dr. Ivor Kaplan VA Beach

Total Cost: $33,500   Start wt: 368   RNY wt: 300  Goal wt: 150   Current wt: 148.2  BMI: 24.7

PamT
on 7/30/09 1:31 am - Downey, CA
First,,,Congratulations on your weight loss!!   I know you're pleased with the difference!!

Try to bring something loose, & easy to put on,, like a "don't touch me" gown-lounge-dress or big sweats. The sweats might not be too easy to get into with the hip-thigh wraps, drains & bandages. It doesn't matter what it looks like since you'll be wheeled out to the car in a wheelchair anyway. Comfort & ease is the name of that game. 

Also maybe a pillow or two,,one to sit on in the car and one to hold over your belly to cushion any bumps or sudden stops on the way home. 

Best of luck to you!!
PamT 
wendybear1
on 7/30/09 7:39 am - Brooklyn, NY
nothing I had fit anymore, but I kept a couple of dresses. I wore an ugly yellow zip front robe on surgery day.

Jessie-F
on 7/30/09 7:52 am
Definitely something that can be put on easily, think moo-moo (button front/zipper). You will be swollen for a long time, so even though they'll remove fat deposits and such, you will not fit your current size comfortably.

Highest weight:215/ Surgery day:199/ current:139/ Goal weight:130

Most Active