Calling all Veteran Brachio and Thigh lifters- help!!

katiekat412
on 7/30/09 1:36 am
Hi All,

I'm definately down for a TT and BL/BA, but I just can't decide about the arm and thigh lift. I am NOT happy with either parts of my body currently, but as well all know, the trade off is a scar, money and recover time.

On one hand, I'm about 100 lbs less than my heaviest weight, and although that's alot, is less than many people who opt for these surgeries. I also have good muscle tone BUT I'm still 20 lbs from goal and with every pound I lose, I'm less tolerant of the arm wrinkles and lumpy legs. Plus, I'm starting to pick clothes around them: will my legs be covered and fit in this outfit, will my arms make flapping noises in this t-shirt? I don't like it.

So, money aside, I have a couple of questions:

1. Does anyone have any pictures of their scars from either? I'm interested in early scars, but especially at about a year out.
2. Does anyone regret having either the AL or TL?
3. If you have either or both done, did you have lipo in conjunction?
4. If you have the medial thigh lift, did you have lipo? Did you wish you had the full TL?
5. What were your complications from either surgery?

Any other input is also welcome!

Highest weight 250/ SW 233/Lowest Weight 135/Regain Highest 175/Current Weight 160

kerniec
on 7/30/09 2:00 am - Dayton, OH
VSG on 07/22/14
Katie - I know a bunch of people at support group who have had the AL and TL.

AL - Many have bad keloid scars. 

TL - All, I think developed some type of infection and all but one say they wouldn't do this one again.

They were all "bigger and older" than you I think.

BLA and TT everyone's really happy with.  It's those other two that have problems. 

275 SW 8/5/08LB 165MW 2009-11, LB complications 2010-14

7-22-14 Revision LB to VSG 212SW/192CW/159GW  HT 5'7"

brenda F.
on 8/2/09 2:47 am - whitney, TX
May I ask what is a AL & TL ? I think I know ,but  maybe not .lol. thanks Red in TX .
was 400+ june 15th,06,..now 145-150 as of may15th,09 ... wow!!!what a ride .   
BigCityGirl
on 7/30/09 2:27 am - San Diego, CA
I have had arm work done and the photo on my profile is at 8 months Post Op.  No keloid or problems.  I did have lipo on my arms as well.

I'm having lipo done on my inner and outer thighs and knee area in October.  I didn't lose 120 pounds only 92. 

I had an LBL and Breast Lift along with complete facial work. 

Only complication, very minor was a slight wound separation on my upper right arm that was revised when I had my facial work done and is totally normal now - no keloid.

Deciding whether you get your arms and/or legs done is a very difficult decision.  I never had a second thought about my arms because I carried a lot of weight in my upper body and I knew I would not like the flabby upper arm look and the scar is hardly noticeable now.  The legs were a compromise.  Fortunately, I didn't carry a lot of weight in my legs when I was heavy so for me it's just a matter of a little lipo here and there and the skin is not a problem I can't live with. 

I'm very happy with all my work and would do it all over again. 
Surgeon: Joseph Grzeskiewicz, M.D., F.A.C.S.
La Jolla Cosmetic Surgery Centre
cbhjr98
on 7/30/09 4:03 am
take a look at my profile for some 1 week out pics - hope they can give you an idea of how they look right after.

cass

Starting BMI under 45? Join us on The Lightweight Board. 
HW:257ish / SW:205 / CW:110.4 / GW:119.99
katiekat412
on 7/31/09 1:01 am
Very helpful. Thanks!

Highest weight 250/ SW 233/Lowest Weight 135/Regain Highest 175/Current Weight 160

spybo
on 7/31/09 12:49 am - Houston area, TX
I've had arms done once and thighs done twice.  Some lipo to thighs, none to arms.  I could probably get you some pics, arms are about 9 months out and thighs 9 months from the scar revision.  Thigh scars ended up exactly the same.  Arm scars are horrible, wide, not raised like keloid.  May or may not have revision on them.  I don't really know if it will make any difference.

The main problem is not the initial incision, I left the hospital with perfect incisions.  The damage comes a few months down the road when you are damaging and widening the scars without even knowing it. (Like sleeping on your side for instance.)  Scars are weaker than the surrounding skin for at least 6 months and that is when I found the damage was done.

Megan
katiekat412
on 7/31/09 1:01 am
Wow. That's good info to know. Is there any way to prevent the damage during the healing process like with prolonging compression gaments?

If you had pictures, that would be GREAT! Thanks so much for your help.

Kat

ShirleyG
on 7/31/09 5:44 am - HALFWAY BETWEEN ATLANTA AND BHAM , AL
Hi Megan
How are you? I was wondering what happened to you ...Tell me about the arms .. I am about to do mine in 2 weeks ..
WHat did you mean regarding the 6 months thing..
Shirley
BigV
on 7/31/09 4:16 am, edited 7/31/09 4:19 am - UK
Hi, sorry I do not have any pictures.

However I  had a full thigh lift (groin incision all the way down to the knee) and I have mixed feelings about the results.   On one hand the large bulge around the crotch area is gone and there is more comfort in clothes, but on the other hand I do not feel the over all size of the leg is reduced as much as I expected and I am left with lumpy, bumpy legs.   I would feel more self  conscious  wearing shorts now than I  did before the surgery.

Since having my thighs done I have had further lipo done (500cc total I think) and there is now at least daylight between the upper legs, but the lax skin remains and hangs if I raise my leg.  My surgeon said wait and see for the full results of the lipo and then he will probably do a free revision if things have not improved.

Ironically the scars at the top of the thigh (totally hidden from anyone but a partner) are probably the best from any of my plastic surgery. 

From the before and after pictures I have seen inner thigh lifts do not give amazing results on anyone.

Arms are well known for giving bad scars on pretty much everyone -  those that get perfectly tight arms with hairline scars are in the minority IMO.   I have wide scars and I have had a revision to remove extra tissue resulting in more wide scars!   However I do not regret having the arms done for one second, the trade off is worth it..........  I may ask my surgeon if he is willing to do a tiny bit of lipo on the upper arms when I go in for a scar revision on my LBL,  this is because I am paranoid about my arms looking flabby  - all my family assure me they look muscular!

Most Active