Annoying post-brachio problem-- anyone have this?

Jupiter6
on 7/28/09 12:37 pm, edited 7/28/09 12:39 pm - Near Media, Pa- South of Philly, NJ
Just above my elbows on the insides I have a very sore patch--- numb to the touch, painful (burning) inside. It's worse on the left than the right-- and the left one is a tight, purple-red patch about 3x3 inches-- not unlike (aaak) cellulitis-- tight, shiny. Feels MUCH better when I apply light warmth (heating pad) but the searing owies start again when I remove it. Obviously something circulatory. Didn't start to really hurt until this week (one month out) but then the hernia hurt so much I may just not have noticed it. I knew I'd have some trouble-- he removed so much and its so very tight.

Massage does seem to help, even if only for a bit.

I thought about wearing the compression garments-- actually did last night-- but it makes it much more painful, as does wrapping. My doc says, "If they hurt, don't wear them"-- so I don't.

Ideas?

"Oh sweet and sour Jesus, that is GOOD!" - Stephen Colbert  Lap RNY 7/07-- Lap Gallbladder 5/08--  
     Emergency Bowel Repair
6/08 -Dr. Meilahn, Temple U.  
 Upper and Lower Bleph/Lower Face Lift 
12/08 
     Fraxel Repair 2/09-- Lower Bleph Re-Do 5/09  -Dr. Pontell, Media PA  Mastopexy/Massive 
     Brachioplasty/ Extended Abdominoplasty 
(plus Mons Lift and Upper Leg lift) / Hernia Repair
      6/24/09 ---Butt Lift and Lateral Thighplasty Scheduled 7/6/10
 - Dr. Ivor Kaplan VA Beach

Total Cost: $33,500   Start wt: 368   RNY wt: 300  Goal wt: 150   Current wt: 148.2  BMI: 24.7

BigCityGirl
on 7/28/09 11:57 pm - San Diego, CA
My tendons were stretched and strained after my brachioplasty and I had similar pains for about two months after the surgery.  I'm not sure if this is the same problem but mine hurt more when I wore the compression garments.  It seemed strange that the soreness would last so long. 

Hope it gets better for you soon.
Surgeon: Joseph Grzeskiewicz, M.D., F.A.C.S.
La Jolla Cosmetic Surgery Centre
jonscutie
on 7/29/09 12:50 am
I have something that sounds very close to this. My surgeon was concerned that I was developing sympathetic dystrophy - a nerve problem.

She recommended physical therapy with ultrasound and massage. As I am with an HMO, I am still working on that.

In the meantime, I have been massaging the area myself. What I found through WebMD recommended using hydrocortisone cream and analgesic cream for the massage. It has helped alot. The angry redness is finally fading and the pain is resolving also. I am about 9 weeks out.

My PCP wanted me to take nortriptyline. Tried for a few days but it cause huge pouch upset, so I stopped.

Good luck, I hope yours resolves sooner than mine did.

Michelle
(deactivated member)
on 7/29/09 1:26 am - West Central FL☼RIDA , FL
Sounds similar to the pain I was having a couple weeks ago.  It just went away on it's own, I couldn't find anything to get rid of it, i.e hot packs, cold packs, creams, etc.  It took about 7-10 days to pass..  (sorry about that bad news)   I think it's all part of the nerves and tendons reconnecting.
spybo
on 7/29/09 1:14 pm - Houston area, TX
I had similar pain on the inside of the elbow.  My PS told me to take anti-inflammatory meds like ibuprofen, that mine was nerve irritation/inflammation.   You probably can't take Advil with RNY, so as a nurse I would suggest the massage and heating pad if it seems to help, but if you truly think it's cellulitis you will need antibiotics.

Megan
Jupiter6
on 7/30/09 12:23 am - Near Media, Pa- South of Philly, NJ
I've seen cellulitis and it's not quite the same-- it's not warm to the touch, I don't have a fever, it just hurts. I suspect you're right and it's nerves reconnecting-- since I have it in BOTH arms, although the left one's more annoyed.

Nope, can't do Advil, unfortunately. I'll keep an eye on it and see if it passes-- and if it gets warm, tighter or worse I'll trundle off to the hospital. I think it was like this for weeks, but my surgical tape covered it until this past weekend when it fell off.

"Oh sweet and sour Jesus, that is GOOD!" - Stephen Colbert  Lap RNY 7/07-- Lap Gallbladder 5/08--  
     Emergency Bowel Repair
6/08 -Dr. Meilahn, Temple U.  
 Upper and Lower Bleph/Lower Face Lift 
12/08 
     Fraxel Repair 2/09-- Lower Bleph Re-Do 5/09  -Dr. Pontell, Media PA  Mastopexy/Massive 
     Brachioplasty/ Extended Abdominoplasty 
(plus Mons Lift and Upper Leg lift) / Hernia Repair
      6/24/09 ---Butt Lift and Lateral Thighplasty Scheduled 7/6/10
 - Dr. Ivor Kaplan VA Beach

Total Cost: $33,500   Start wt: 368   RNY wt: 300  Goal wt: 150   Current wt: 148.2  BMI: 24.7

Most Active