Drains - pain?

Purple Passion
on 7/28/09 5:56 am - Little Falls, NJ

Is it painful when they remove the drains?
I'm having my LBL in a 2.5 months and, believe it or not, this is the thing that is worrying me right now.

Rachelle
Looking for a possible revision.
257/190/150 

sanguinarythorn
on 7/28/09 6:03 am - Newport News, VA
 It's not painful, but it's not comfortable either. It also depends how deep the put the drains in. For me, my drains went in above my pubic line, and wrapped all the way over my hips and into my back. When they pulled it out, the most painful part was having my muscles contract (like they were being tickled). Other than that, it was pretty much painless.
Purple Passion
on 7/28/09 11:45 pm - Little Falls, NJ
That actually sounds like it would feel weird.

Rachelle
257/190/150 

tonjasm
on 7/28/09 6:53 am - Edmond, OK
It is not painful, it's just an incredibly funky feeling.  You're numb still from having your surgery, but you can feel it all sliding across there coming out.  And you will be surprised at how long they are.  But seriously, they are not a problem at all and so worth it all!
Obesity Help Support Group > http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/tonjasm_group/ 

I had a tummy tuck and lipo of the side flanks performed by Nathan Miller with Cosmetic Surgery Affiliates in Oklahoma City on June 23rd, 2009.

Purple Passion
on 7/28/09 11:45 pm - Little Falls, NJ
That seems ok, then.  I'm just imagining them being very painful.

Rachelle
257/190/150 

wendybear1
on 7/28/09 7:21 am - Brooklyn, NY
Sometimes, it's incredibly painful. One from my thigh lift hurt very, very badly. It didn't last long, however. Just a few minutes after the drain was removed. Totally worth the pain to get the thing out.

Some from my tummy tuck hurt badly, but not all. Some of the stitches and all the staples hurt coming out. But it felt much better after, so again, worth it.

You'll be fine. Take pain meds before removal, just in case.

ericas623
on 7/28/09 7:46 am - Roseville, MI
I think it''s from where they put the drains.  Mine were inserted in my pubic area.  I had 3.  They went all the way up to right under my breast area.  I had the vertical incision as well.  Let me tell you, for me, it was the worst pain ever-but only for a few minutes.  It was the worst part of the whole thing. As you can see though, for some, it doesn't hurt at all.  Mine were also in for 15 days, and it was hard to get them out.  He really had to pull on them.

Erica
workingmommy
on 7/28/09 10:48 am
RNY on 12/10/07 with
I have to agree with Erica.  I had four drains that came out the mons area.  I got two removed after 4 weeks and it hurt like a SOB...for the rest of the day it stung at the sites. The other two I had removed when I was under for the second procedure 1 week later.  With my second procedure, I had the drains out after one week.  I had one on each side of my ribs.  Those hurt for onoy a few minutes after removal and did not bother me after.  My PS also used a numbing spray at the sites before he removed the drains, which helped alot.  You will be okay!

April

160 lbs lost to date!
LBL: 6/10/09
BL/BA/Brachio: 7/14/09
MTL: 6/17/10

Renee2007
on 7/28/09 11:37 am - Central, FL
I think it really depends on the placement. I had one in my hip and it stayed in for 1 week. I was told to take a deep breath and he pulled it out and I did not feel any pain. It was weird and wiggly feeling coming out but not painful and it was extremely quick.

Renee
 My DS   
SW/263  CW/136 GW/150

Jupiter6
on 7/28/09 12:30 pm - Near Media, Pa- South of Philly, NJ
Much less painful than having them in! Promise!

"Oh sweet and sour Jesus, that is GOOD!" - Stephen Colbert  Lap RNY 7/07-- Lap Gallbladder 5/08--  
     Emergency Bowel Repair
6/08 -Dr. Meilahn, Temple U.  
 Upper and Lower Bleph/Lower Face Lift 
12/08 
     Fraxel Repair 2/09-- Lower Bleph Re-Do 5/09  -Dr. Pontell, Media PA  Mastopexy/Massive 
     Brachioplasty/ Extended Abdominoplasty 
(plus Mons Lift and Upper Leg lift) / Hernia Repair
      6/24/09 ---Butt Lift and Lateral Thighplasty Scheduled 7/6/10
 - Dr. Ivor Kaplan VA Beach

Total Cost: $33,500   Start wt: 368   RNY wt: 300  Goal wt: 150   Current wt: 148.2  BMI: 24.7

Most Active