have lost 89 lbs. upper arm tucks. do i do it

mjt
on 7/27/09 3:52 pm
I know if i read all the posts I would find answers but don't really have time right now.  I have lost over 80lbs and have the saggy skin.  I am wondering if you recommend tucks, etc.  My upper arms are flabby and wrinkelly.   I have been working out and so have firmed some but lots of loose skin.  saggy leggs.  I am in my late 50's and not interested in having a 20 yr old body but would like to feel i look better in sleeveless shirts, and shorts.  I don't wear the tight fitting clothes that are out or they would show my saggy tummy. 

What have you found is the way to go.  what  works what doesn't.  is it worth it.???? thanks so much for your responses.  I have had great luck from the lap band forum.  thankyou everyone.
katiekat412
on 7/27/09 9:08 pm
The short answer is that wherever you have sagging (extra) skin, plastic surgery can give you improvement. The down side is the cost, the recovery, and the scars. The most important thing is to have a budget (ha ha) and prioritize what you can't live with. For me, I want it all, but I know I can't live with my stomach and boobs.

As far as budget, you can decide if you are using a US surgeon, or if you are willing to do some medical tourism. I am considering Mexico. You can get twice as much done for the same price, and the doctors are reputable, but there are definately down sides to that.

As for scars, that's personal preference, and its a trade off. Which do you hate more, the skin or the scar? With the tummy and breasts, PS will give you a 90% improvement. Arms are a little more iffy.The scar generally goes from your armpit to your elbow, and sometimes the results are good, and sometimes they aren't. That said, I'm still thinking about getting one. Who knows!

Highest weight 250/ SW 233/Lowest Weight 135/Regain Highest 175/Current Weight 160

mjt
on 7/28/09 12:25 am
I will have to have any surgery I have around here.  Can't afford to travel.  I guess I will look around here.  just not sure what questions to ask or what I need to know.  wow I don't know much at all.
Diane B.
on 7/28/09 8:22 am - Seymour, CT
You may want to reconsider traveling.  I went to Mexico for my transformation, and with Dr. Sauceda, travel was included.  Airfare up to a certain dollar amount, clinic stay where food was included, hotel and taxi was also included.  I just needed a small amount of money for meals not included at the hotel and some other trinkets.  The hotel had a great bkfast buffet, and a happy hour Tu We & Th.  Not to mention his superior reputation and what you get for your money.  Good luck!

Diane B. 

275# RNY 1-7-08 156# Dr. Bell Yale  New Haven CT
Brachio - BA - TT - TL 7-8-09 Dr. Sauceda Mexico

Kathie L.
on 7/28/09 1:16 am - Castaic, CA
Dear MJT,

I will be 58 in October and have had several procedures:

Nov. 2008 - brachioplasty; neck & lower face lift; breast lift with augmentation
March 2009 - lower body lift

I love my results and it is 100% worth the pain and money spent. I figure that I have 1/3 of my life remaining and why not do so and be proud of the way I look. It's fabulous this year to wear sleeveless tops in the 100+ weather. Last year, although I had lost all my weight I was confined to wearing tops that came to my elbows.

Please let me know if you have further questions. You deserve it!

California Kathie
RNY - 10/07
Rt. Hip Replacement - 4/08
Upper Body Lift - 11/08 (Dr. Timothy Katzen)
Lower Body Lift - 3/09 (Dr. Timothy Katzen)
mjt
on 7/28/09 2:47 am
thanks for your encouraging words.  I want to think like you do that we still have a big part of our life left and so we need to enjoy.  with my wt loss I feel so much younger than my 59.  Whaooo.  Did you do your arms, both at the same time.  How long was recovery, etc.  I feel my face it fine but it is all the loose skin on my arm that flaps,  hee hee.  I wouldn't mind tightening up from the knees up.  but mainly it is my arms.  My husband laughs and said I need a breast lift.  That I do but with good bra's i can take care of that..  Maybe i am wrong and would like to have something done there, too.  Just not sure of the cost of all of this as well as recovery time.  What was the most painful and the most cost.  recovery time.  thanks for you answers.
Kathie L.
on 7/28/09 2:57 am - Castaic, CA
With my first procedures I was off work for 1.5 weeks (because I had the procedures the Friday before Thanksgiving week). I was off work 3 weeks for my lower body lift.

Definitely the most painful for me was my neck and lower face lift. My ears were very swollen and hurt all of the time (pain meds didn't help much). I agree with you that of all my procedures I wanted my arms done the most. I live in So. California where it gets very hot during the summer and I wasn't happy to cover my arms last summer during the intense heat. Last September I attended my mother's H.S. 65th class reunion and when I saw one of her 82 year old friends go sleeveless I knew then that I wasn't going to go the rest of my life feeling "old".

When I went for my first consultation with my P.S. I told him I wanted "the works" however I had no idea what the cost would be and if I'd feel like I deserved it. Fortunately, I have a fabulous husband who has supported me the entire way and wanted me to be happy.

I spent a total of $28,000 on all of my procedures (including anethesiologist/ after care, etc) which is about the price of a new car. I must admidt that I LOVE my new body more than any car I've ever owned.

My advice is to go see several surgeons (I have many in my area that specialize in post-bariatric patients) and get their opinions and prices. Then you can make up your mind exactly what you think you need. I didn't have my thighs done, and am a little self-conscious about the loose skin on them, but pretty happy to wear shorts to my knees. I've even wore a bathing suit a bit and my loving husband still says that I look wonderful.

If you want to talk I'd be happy to discuss my transformatio with you.

California Kathie
RNY - 10/07
Rt. Hip Replacement - 4/08
Upper Body Lift - 11/08 (Dr. Timothy Katzen)
Lower Body Lift - 3/09 (Dr. Timothy Katzen)
Queenie63
on 7/28/09 4:02 am
I had my arms done and there was no pain at all.  I have light scars and no one ever notices.  You can get some pooling of fat just above the elbows that looks weird but all in all I like the result.  I wear sleeveless dresses and tops. 

I am having a tummy tuck this Fall and hopefully that will be it.  I can't wait to wear jeans and have a fairly flat tummy.  I am in my mid sixties and was not interested in looking 20 either.  I just wanted to not look like I had a butt in the front. 

It is good that you are working out.  Shows that you are serious. Exercise seems to be the key for me.  Good luck with your decision.
spybo
on 7/29/09 1:27 pm, edited 7/29/09 1:28 pm - Houston area, TX
mjt,

I've had "everything" done (except facial work).  One thing to consider is the scarring.  TT scars are easily hidden by underwear, even my long thigh scars (which have already been revised once) are hidden by shorts, but arm scars show almost all the time in short sleeves or sleeveless tops.  Also, the arms scar unfavorably compared to other parts of the body due to more movement.  I widened one scar just by sleeping on that side! 

So, really it's a tradeoff between which bothers you more, the loose skin on the arms or noticeable scars.  I had 2 very well known and experienced plastic surgeons tell me that there are no "good" arm scars.

I know one girl who wishes she hadn't done it.  I go back and forth, I love the shape of my arms but hate the scars.

Megan
Most Active