calling all fitness guru's-again

2kristie
on 7/28/09 5:08 am - , MO
Calling all fitness guru's again, I have spent the last 9 weeks working my butt off 5 days a week at least an hour a day at all sorts of different classes, high impact aerobics to weight training (2+ days a week) and tracking my diet on dailyplate.com  I have been eating 1500-1600 calories a day of 33% protein, 33% fat (good fat only) 33% carbs (whole grains, veggies, fruits) 8-10 glasses of water a day and plenty of sleep.  I HAVE LOST ZERO POUNDS!! 

WHAT AM I DOING WRONG??  I am wondering if my TT (5 months out) in which they removed 10 pounds has someting to do w/ this stall...could my body be trying to get back the 10 pounds??  Should I eat less based on WLS (6 years ago)?  Should I workout more?  I dont know what to do.  I will continue to at least do what I am doing but when will the outside match the inside.  I do feel stronger and healthier but I am extremely frustrated....HELP!!! 
BigCityGirl
on 7/28/09 7:24 am - San Diego, CA

Two things come to mind here.  First, the biggest problem that most have when they are not losing is they are underestimating their daily calorie consumption.   Are you measuring and weighing your food?  Are you keeping a food diary and adding up the calories each day?  And on the subject of the diet, 1500 calories seems a bit high to me.  I stay around 1200 per day when I am trying to lose.

Second point, is the exercise itself.  In order to burn calories you need to do aerobic exercise - brisk walking, jogging, elliptical, stationary bike, stair climber. . . . .  The weight training will not necessarily burn calories.  I would spend at least 30 minutes, five days a week in the gym doing something like the elliptical trainer.  Additionally, I would recommend walking in the evening - I walk two miles every evening after dinner.  I gained six pounds recently following knee reconstruction surgery.  I've lost four in the past two weeks now that I'm back in the gym and doing my evening walking and sticking to my food plan, writing everything down and staying at around 1200 calories per day. 

I don't think your TT was the problem - I've had an LBL and lots of other plastic surgery and it hasn't affected my metabolism.  I think your metabolism is sluggish and needs to be rev'ed up through aerobic exercise.

Good luck.  PM me if you have any other questions.  Donna

Surgeon: Joseph Grzeskiewicz, M.D., F.A.C.S.
La Jolla Cosmetic Surgery Centre
2kristie
on 7/28/09 8:19 am - , MO
Well, thanks for your time in replying but I believe I answered all your questions in my post except the weighing/measuring your food.  Being a WLS'er I am extremely aware of my food portions (even when I have pushed it in the past) as well as what is required by us vs. normal stomach people.  I agree, however, as you probably figured too, when you keep track of what you eat, you have to know how much of each item you are eating or you can not log it...such as on dailyplate.com which is where I log.  I also agree, cardio and interval training is huge for metabolism building as is building muscle...all of which I have been doing diligently for 9 weeks.  The reason for the higher calorie intake is cuz I am not 120 lbs...I weight way more then that and therefore have a higher calorie allowance right now...I know that will change soon.  Thanks...
Susan Hegarty
on 7/29/09 10:41 am - Easton, PA
Hmmm, it seems to me that maybe you arent eating "enough".  This happened to me.  I work out 5am-7am Monday through Friday and hike on Saturdays, taking Sunday off.  I was eating 1500 cal daily and plateaued for over a month.  I started blogging and talking to a lot of people who sugestd I up my calories due to the amount of exercise I do.  I eat 6 300 calorie meals a day, totaling 1800 calories and Iam steady losing again.  If you dont eat enough you will not lose weight because your body compensates.
Also as important as cario is, weight training is extremely important to lose weight.  Muscle burns fat and keeps your matabolism strong. 
I purchased a Go Wear Fit armband, which really helps me keep track of my calories in and calories out.  Its made by body media and is worth looking into. 
Best of luck!!
Highest weight:439
Current Weight: 180
Goal weight: 160
**259 Lbs lost!!**

http://www.makemeheal.com/pictures/viewAlbum.php?albumid=9999

2kristie
on 7/30/09 4:32 am - , MO
Thanks, I have thought of that...more food.  I find it very difficult to eat more then 1500 calories a day.  I am very satisfied w/ 1500 but I have thought about more calories, I just thought w/ WLS we shouldnt eat more and just try to get as much protein as possible.  Could it be that simple??  It sounds like you do a lot more exercise then I do but maybe I should.  I keep track of all my food and activity on dailyplate.com and should be averaging 2-3 lbs a week lost.  However, its not going anywhere so I feel I need to try something.  Thanks for your input...I will keep y'all posted on progress. 
Most Active