What would you do?

kamehanaokala
on 7/27/09 3:59 pm - HI

Here's the scenario.....

When i mention taking time off to do my plastics, there's a gal at work that always says "good luck, i can never take more than a week off at a time even for vacation"....

which scenario is better?

1-go ahead and book my surgery and then TELL the boss i will be off for x amount of time for recovery?

2-ask when is a good time for me to be off and away? then book it?

i'm afraid if i ask, then i will get a guilt trip of an answer and be forced to be a B**** and then the walls will come up and i will quit.....lol....that's just me...

What do you think? HELP!

MyQnA
on 7/27/09 8:58 pm

I would book my surgery and advise of the date.  you can give a tentative amount of time you will be out but this is still surgery and you don't want to burn any bridges unless you are say a rock star most jobs can replace you.  Trust me you will be happy to have a job if there are complications and insurance needs to pay for something.

Good Luck!

I can do all things through Christ which strengtheneth me. 

katiekat412
on 7/27/09 9:03 pm
I would just tell them the date. You don't have to tell them what surgery you are having. They can guess all they want, but they wouldn't make you reschedule a hernia repair, so poop on them if your TT is incovenient! : )

Highest weight 250/ SW 233/Lowest Weight 135/Regain Highest 175/Current Weight 160

BigCityGirl
on 7/27/09 11:44 pm - San Diego, CA
First, I think you might have made a mistake by mentioning it to your coworker.  I make a rule never, ever to discuss any health issue at the office.  I would have just scheduled the work and then advised the boss that I was having surgery - no need to be specific that it's plastic or cosmetic and let the chips fall where they might.  Now, since the horse has already left the barn, as they say, I'd just tell him that you will take as little time as possible off but you will need more than a week.  Schedule and then ask.

Surgeon: Joseph Grzeskiewicz, M.D., F.A.C.S.
La Jolla Cosmetic Surgery Centre
sonnieN
on 7/28/09 1:02 am - grand rapids, MI
I've always been honest and up front w/ my boss and co-workers about what I was planning. I asked my boss when the best time for me to be off was and she was totally on board and supportive. Everyone at work has been that way and is very excited for me since they have seen me go thru this transformation in the last year.

Sonya
(deactivated member)
on 7/28/09 4:18 am - West Central FL☼RIDA , FL
What does your company policy say regarding taking vacation time/time off?

If your job is cyclical (like tax accounts are super busy Jan - April but it slows down big time in Sept....or if you are in Accounting the end of month and beginning of the month are usually busier) I would try to book it during the slow time.  If it's a pretty steady pace then you could go to your boss and simply say you need to have surgery and will be off for XX weeks and ask if there is a best time.  You can give him 2 or 3 dates to start your time off and let him/her pick the best.

You do not owe your boss or your coworkers an explanation as to what kind of surgery it is.  I fear that since you already let the cat of the bag with your coworker your boss will probably end up hearing about it anyway. 

Just my two cents.......

Most Active