Breast Implants And Cancer Detection

DrL
on 7/28/09 12:12 am - Houston, TX
I posted this elsewhere, and have more references if anybody wants them on this topic.

http://www.realself.com/node/115670
John LoMonaco, M.D., F.A.C.S.
Plastic Surgery
Houston, Texas

www.DrLoMonaco.com
www.BodyLiftHouston.com
Renee2007
on 7/28/09 1:58 am - Central, FL
Thank you very much for sharing this DrL. It eases my mind about some of the issues. One of my concerns is the possibility of implant rupture from having a mammogram. Is it very common or are the implants stronger than I realize?

Renee
 My DS   
SW/263  CW/136 GW/150

DrL
on 7/28/09 12:14 pm - Houston, TX
Hi Renee, rupture of an implant during a mammogram is unusual.  Even after a car wreck with airbag deployment (I saw many of those as the plastic surgeon on call at our trauma center) is rare.

Rupture or deflation is almost always caused by a fold or wrinkle in the implant that comes from capsular contracture or abnormal scar formationa round the implant.

Plastic Surgery
Houston, Texas

www.DrLoMonaco.com
www.BodyLiftHouston.com
callie7003
on 7/28/09 7:15 am - Pasadena, TX
I have had breast cancer and a breast reconstruction (actually a breast reduction) that I have some issues with. 

Since I have had cancer, do I need to give up on implants?  I am two years out and so far haven't had any complications from the breast cancer.
Callie in Houston
DrL
on 7/28/09 12:26 pm - Houston, TX
Hi Callie. Well, you and your oncologist will need to develop a plan for your future screening.  After 5 years, you may be declared "cured."

There are many options to reconstruct the breast after cancer, and implants are but one of them.
Plastic Surgery
Houston, Texas

www.DrLoMonaco.com
www.BodyLiftHouston.com
Most Active