No Tummy Tuck - Visceral Fat!! anyone else been told this?

Sahrramon
on 7/27/09 12:52 am - Atlanta, GA
So,  I went and had my FIRST PS consultation.  I highlight first, because I plan on having at least 2 more.  But the First PS really scared me,  because he says,  there is nothing he can do because I have visceral fat. 

I can afford to lose about another 10 lbs before I start to look sickly (ignore ticker)...and only if that 10lbs came from the abdominal area. 

So immediately after his consult,  I schedule an appt w/my primary.  After researching,  I found that a MRI can be used to validate his opinion or not. 

Anyone else have this opinion or suggestions on how to reduce visceral fat. 

BigCityGirl
on 7/27/09 1:24 am - San Diego, CA
My fat was all subcutaneous but I know of at least three others who have the same condition as you - intra-abdominal fat.  And they could not be operated on as well.

Walking, swimming or other cardio exercise for at least 30 minutes a day, six days a week will help reduce it. 

Good luck. 
Surgeon: Joseph Grzeskiewicz, M.D., F.A.C.S.
La Jolla Cosmetic Surgery Centre
Sahrramon
on 7/27/09 3:30 am - Atlanta, GA
Thanks for your reply and you are correct..after more googleing...It's suggested high intensity for about 30/45 minutes..6 days a week..and weight training...so I may not see the number go down on the scale, because I'm building muscle at the same time. 

speicallady
on 7/27/09 2:24 am - bronx, NY

Hello

you learn something new everyday

best wishes

Debra

DrL
on 7/27/09 7:07 am - Houston, TX
Tummy tuck in patients with a lot of visceral fat does not yield good results.

An MRI shouldn't be necessary.  If you have a lot of upper abdominal fullness and the "pinch test" shows that there is very little sub-Q fat, then you probably have visceral fat deposits. 

Patients with this condition have an "apple" shaped bodies versus the "pear" shape.

Muscle laxity can soemtimes mimic the condition, so pregnancy-induced laxity may also play a role. A good PS should be able to sort this out for you.  Send me photos to my personal email if you like ([email protected]) and I'll give you my $ 0.02.
John LoMonaco, M.D., F.A.C.S.
Plastic Surgery
Houston, Texas

www.DrLoMonaco.com
www.BodyLiftHouston.com
Most Active