guess I might do the breast reduction after all; 500 grams?

Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 7/26/09 7:58 am - OH
I was originally NOT planning to have a breast reduction (I have always been large and figured if it started to bother me I could always do it down the road), BUT... after losing over 185 pounds, I am still a DD cup and still having the smae upper back, shoulder, and neck pain that I had before I lost all the weight.

Now, with the uncertainty surroudning the entire healthcare system in the US, and since -- once I pay my part of the hospital bill for my recent 6 day stay for pancreatitis and my gallbladder removal -- I will have met my out-of-pocket max of $2500 for this year... I am re-thinking it.

The PS who did my arms and tummy cannot do it because he doesn;t accept ANY insurance (and my out of network deductible is $2500 with only a 65% coverage and a $5000 out-of-pocket max, which I cannot afford... it's going to be another year and a half before my TT is paid off!), but he said it shouldn't be a problem getting insurance to approve it.  Based on the grooves in my shoulders, my pain, the rashes under the breasts in the summer, and the size of my breasts, I think I do qualify, but I'm wondering about how much 500 grams is (that is the amount they say needs to be removed from each breast to be eligible).  Anyone know?  I'm wondering if that amount would take me down to a D or a C cup, mostly.

Also, where do most people end up with the incisions?  It seems to vary...

The thought of this surgery still makes me a little queasy, but I am very much aware of how huge my breasts look compared to the rest of me now (and I really thought the shoulder/back pain would subside... and it hasn't).

Lora

14 years out; 190 pounds lost, 165 pound loss maintained

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.

(deactivated member)
on 7/26/09 1:17 pm - West Central FL☼RIDA , FL
Hi!
I had a reduction and lift back in Nov of 2008.  Best thing I did for myself!  I love my new girls.

I started as a 48DDD, after losing most of my weight I was in a 38 D(or DD depending on the bra).  Trouble was it was mostly saggy skin packed into the bra.    He took off enough so the insurance covered it and I ended up in a 36C and very happy!!!!!!!!

Best wishes to you on this.....
BigCityGirl
on 7/26/09 1:37 pm - San Diego, CA
I'm not metric but I know that my insurance stipulates that you need about a pound removed from each breast to qualify for a BR.  The scars are the same for a lift - under the breasts with a vertical scar extending up to the nipple.  The pain is nothing - a very easy surgery.
Surgeon: Joseph Grzeskiewicz, M.D., F.A.C.S.
La Jolla Cosmetic Surgery Centre
Jupiter6
on 7/26/09 2:32 pm - Near Media, Pa- South of Philly, NJ
I was a 48H pre op, and a 34D pre plastics-- and it was all skin. My BC BS policy didn't cover anything, even with 5 years of documented rashes, hydradenitis, sores, photos of same, letters from surgeon, PCP and dermatologist and copies of years of prescriptions.

I'm now a 32-34 C, no implants. Cool as hell, truly.

At a month out, I have better incisions than anyone I have ever seen, although they don't lie exactly in the crease because a) I am swollen and b) he moved a LOT of mass, so it wasn't subtle surgery-- is was bulk removal. I only have scars in the crease below and around the areaolas where they were relocated-- no "lollipop" scar from the nipples down-- the support is internal stitching and lots of tape, for the first couple weeks.

Looked great from day one-- no pain, no issuse, no nothin'. Very full and natural.

Send an email address and I'll email you pics.

"Oh sweet and sour Jesus, that is GOOD!" - Stephen Colbert  Lap RNY 7/07-- Lap Gallbladder 5/08--  
     Emergency Bowel Repair
6/08 -Dr. Meilahn, Temple U.  
 Upper and Lower Bleph/Lower Face Lift 
12/08 
     Fraxel Repair 2/09-- Lower Bleph Re-Do 5/09  -Dr. Pontell, Media PA  Mastopexy/Massive 
     Brachioplasty/ Extended Abdominoplasty 
(plus Mons Lift and Upper Leg lift) / Hernia Repair
      6/24/09 ---Butt Lift and Lateral Thighplasty Scheduled 7/6/10
 - Dr. Ivor Kaplan VA Beach

Total Cost: $33,500   Start wt: 368   RNY wt: 300  Goal wt: 150   Current wt: 148.2  BMI: 24.7

GorgeousIsa
on 7/27/09 11:25 pm - Philly-delphia, PA
OMG...Dr. Meilahn performed my mother-in-law's surgery over 5 years ago...He is the best in Philly if you asked me and was my 1st choice...though I love my surgeon...How was Dr. Kaplan? I am in need of brachio and an anchor cut tt...most of my weight was in my tummy area...I am also looking to have a reduction but all in time...Congrats on everything. 
HIGH-294CURRENT-151 GOAL-150LBS GONE-143LBS 2 GO-1 (Last weigh in 7/14)   Platics Done: Breast Reduction (5/14) Extended Tummy Tuck w/ Anchor & Brachioplasty (5/29)
Jupiter6
on 7/28/09 1:14 am - Near Media, Pa- South of Philly, NJ
Meilahn's the only local doc I'd even consider for an RNY.

Kaplan is phenomenal-- but he's located in Virginia Beach. Locally, Dennis Hurwitz is opening (or has opened) a surgery center in the Brandywine area-- he's well known for his post bariatric work-- I'd look into that.

"Oh sweet and sour Jesus, that is GOOD!" - Stephen Colbert  Lap RNY 7/07-- Lap Gallbladder 5/08--  
     Emergency Bowel Repair
6/08 -Dr. Meilahn, Temple U.  
 Upper and Lower Bleph/Lower Face Lift 
12/08 
     Fraxel Repair 2/09-- Lower Bleph Re-Do 5/09  -Dr. Pontell, Media PA  Mastopexy/Massive 
     Brachioplasty/ Extended Abdominoplasty 
(plus Mons Lift and Upper Leg lift) / Hernia Repair
      6/24/09 ---Butt Lift and Lateral Thighplasty Scheduled 7/6/10
 - Dr. Ivor Kaplan VA Beach

Total Cost: $33,500   Start wt: 368   RNY wt: 300  Goal wt: 150   Current wt: 148.2  BMI: 24.7

GorgeousIsa
on 7/27/09 11:26 pm - Philly-delphia, PA
also can you send pictures to [email protected]
HIGH-294CURRENT-151 GOAL-150LBS GONE-143LBS 2 GO-1 (Last weigh in 7/14)   Platics Done: Breast Reduction (5/14) Extended Tummy Tuck w/ Anchor & Brachioplasty (5/29)
Jessie-F
on 7/27/09 12:55 am
My insurance approved my surgery after the surgeon submitted a PCP letter, Ortho evaluation, and upper back xray.
    I was originally a 42F at my highest weight, after weightloss I was a 32E, now after the BR, I'm a 32C. The scars are not that bad, they are healing nicely. I have a nice full look, like when I wore underwired bras before (even in sports bras!). I love that my areolas were reduced in size because they are so cute now.

Highest weight:215/ Surgery day:199/ current:139/ Goal weight:130

Melanie B.
on 7/27/09 4:19 am - Doylestown, PA
I just had my girls done about a month ago. I was a 46DDD, lost 100lbs and was down to a 36DD. My insurance required 500 grams removal to be considered "medically" nessecary. When I woke up my surgeon told me he removed about 1.5lbs of skin, and not much else since I didn't have any fat tissue and it was all mammry tissue that he used to reconstruct my GORGEOUS new 36Cs (albeit small Cs)

I was a little shocked and for some reason thought I would still have large boobs, but frankly they just look stunning and are a perfect "fit" for my frame.

500 grams = about 1lb (1.1lbs to be exact)

Most Active