TT Recovery Time / Exercise Concern

Susan Hegarty
on 7/22/09 11:37 am - Easton, PA
For those why had a TT and minor lipo, how long were you out of work.  I only drive 4 miles each way and sit in my office all day wih very little activity.
Also, I worked so hard at the gym ovver the past year I am afraid of losing all the work I have done.  When can I start to exercise again?

My financing was approved today and I am having surgery in the next 3 weeks!! YIKES!!!

Highest weight:439
Current Weight: 180
Goal weight: 160
**259 Lbs lost!!**

http://www.makemeheal.com/pictures/viewAlbum.php?albumid=9999

sanguinarythorn
on 7/22/09 11:45 am - Newport News, VA
I had a TT last Tuesday, and I was back to work for a few hours today. I have a desk job too, so it's not much more than sitting in a chair. As for excercise, I'm up and walking now pretty well. Definitely not running. I probably won't even think of anything strenuous for another couple of weeks. My surgeon said no strenuous exercise for 6 weeks.
ericas623
on 7/22/09 11:51 am - Roseville, MI
I had a tt on June 29.  To be honest I could have gone back this week.  However, I now have a bit of a complication-so I am glad he gave me 6 weeks off.  It's nothing major-just a  small opening, and it's oozing when I stand up.  My job is all standing.

Erica
dmoore1162
on 7/22/09 1:43 pm
I have a sit down job also.  The doctor is keeping me off 6 weeks.  Really, I could probably have gone back after 3 or 4.  I'm just tired.  Working the next 2 weeks building my strength up.  I also get 100% of my wages during this period of time, so money was not a motivating factor of getting me back to work.  

Better to check with your doctor about exercise.

Delores Moore
it's never too late

BigV
on 7/22/09 4:04 pm, edited 7/22/09 4:04 pm - UK
You will probably be able to manage some light walking after 10 days.     I usually get back to the cardio gear at the gym after about 2.5 weeks but I build it up very slowly.  I imagine any weights or toning/resistence work at the gym would probably be 4 to 5 weeks minimum because you don't want to split things open.

Your body will let you know if you do too much as you will feel exhausted very quickly.

My experience is that you will not lose significant levels of fitness just by missing 3 to 5 weeks of training - some muscle strength may be lost but it comes back within a month.    Just make sure you are eating plenty of protein and green vegetables.

boomer65
on 7/22/09 7:34 pm
I too worked out very regularly prior to my plastics and thought I'd be back at the gym with no problems....You'll find that everyone has different experiences.  I had my TT with a BL/BA in January.  My PS kept me home for 3 weeks and I have a job that is sitting too.  I had to do some light walking around the house for the first 4 weeks then he released me for "short" walks outside at 6 weeks.  No strenuous activity until 8 weeks when he released me from all restrictions.

I stretched for a week since I hadn't done anything for so long and went to the gym to do some light exercise, well, I swelled up like a little balloon in my tummy.  This went on for almost 6 weeks, I'd workout, swell up, take a few days off and try it again.  My body just wasn't ready.  So I finally made the decision to not do anything but light walking for a couple of months to give my body a chance to really heal.  I started back working out in mid-June and for me this was the right decision.  It took me a couple of weeks to get back into it, but now I'm back full force, spinning and lifting about 3-4 days per week.  I still get a little swollen but I think that's more from salt and hot weather.

Just remember to take it at your own pace and LISTEN to your body.

Franci

Most Active