Arm Lift Advice

dalybenitez27
on 7/22/09 3:36 am - Orlando, FL
Ok, my arm lift is this Friday!!!!  So, any last minute words of wisdom from anyone who has been there would be much appreciated.  Thanks!
dec721
on 7/22/09 4:31 am - Decatur, GA
VSG on 08/07/08 with
I had mine almost two weeks ago.   Put everything you use regularly out on countertops within reach; you do not want to have to reach up or down for anything.  Even if you *can* reach, you shouldn't.  Get a couple of bolsters or some other firm pillows to have at your sides in bed to support your arms when you sleep, and cover them in old towels, just in case you leak. Turn down the bed and set it up to slide into when you get home.  I also opened out the sleeper sofa in front of the TV and made it up in the same way, because I couldn't work the lever on the recliner for the first week.  

The first few days, I stayed in the hospital gown and didn't worry about it.  It was so much easier than real clothes.  I just put the drain bulb things in the front pocket.  Then I progressed to a snap-up-the-front sleeveless house dress.  After a few days, I could get in a button-up-the-front shirt ... a very oversized one.  Make sure you have some oversized shirts and robes that open in the front. 

Don't worry about washing too much -- I washed my face, and, as the nurse put it, my pits and my privates, and that was good enough for several days.  I was able to wash my hair after a few days with a wet washcloth and a drop of shampoo.  Dry shampoo is also helpful.

Set out some slip-on shoes where you don't have to dig in the closet for them.  And slide them on and take several brief walks a day.  Drink water like a fish.  Soup was great the first week, too.  I doled out mugs of soup before surgery and covered them in plastic wrap and had them in the frig ready to zap in the microwave.  Have lots of ready-to-zap stuff already portioned out in the frig.

I live alone, so I have to deal with my own laundry.  Instead of putting dirty clothes in the hamper, I just put them right in the washing machine.  When I have a smallish load, I wash the lot in cold water, put one piece at a time in the dryer, and pull one piece at a time out, so nothing is too heavy.  I got some of those all-in-one detergent/softener sheets, so I don't have to fool with jugs of detergent.  They work fine.

I also have to deal with my own trash.  I put grocery bags in the small trash cans, and when they start to fill up, I take them one at a time to the garbage, never letting them get too heavy.  Neighbors can help with trash, too.  

When you get home, resist the temptation to spend hours on the computer!  I found that my mousing arm swelled if I stayed at it more than a few minutes at a time.

And that is all the brilliant suggestions that come to mind ... probably more than you ever wanted to know!  Best wishes for your surgery.  You will do just great!         --Dorothy    

Highest weight: 292   Pre-op weight: 265   Goal met: 150   Six years out: 185 and trying to lose again!

dalybenitez27
on 7/22/09 5:57 am - Orlando, FL
Thanks so much!!!  These are all things that I did NOT think of, so this helps a lot!
dec721
on 7/22/09 6:30 am - Decatur, GA
VSG on 08/07/08 with
Ha ha, as you might be able to tell, I am an absolute control-freaky, think everything through to the smallest detail, super analyzer!  Well, that, and I've had numerous surgeries over the past dozen years and have learned a LOT!  Let us know how it goes :-)          --Dorothy

Highest weight: 292   Pre-op weight: 265   Goal met: 150   Six years out: 185 and trying to lose again!

Kennedy12
on 7/22/09 10:49 am - Chicago, IL
Thank you so much for this. I am single and live alone (and also a organizer/planner) that I am saving this post for my second round in March. Headed for LBL and Abs in Sept!

Really appreciate the advise, it's all great stuff to consider.

Jillian
Phase 1 Plastic Surgery Completed 9/9/09 with Dr. Siamak Agha.

Shelly H.
on 7/22/09 6:04 am - Marco Island, FL

Hello,
I am exactly 5 weeks out today and doing good.  I am a very impatient so of course I can't wait for the final results.  The advice from the other gal was fantastic.  Just don't push yourself at all.  Follow doctors orders.  I have a tendency to over do it, and he called me on it a couple of times.  I was dying to get back to the gym but had to wait a few weeks.  I still am not cleared to start lifting yet.  The one thing that I was not prepared for at all was the emotional roller coaster I was on.  One minute I was so elated that I had done this and couldn't wait to not look like Frankenstein, and the next minute I was crying saying why did I do this, I look like Frankenstein.  My doctor told me it was completely normal to go thru that, but to remember it's temporary and it passes and to stay relaxed. 
I read your post from a few days ago and am so excited to hear how your surgery experience is.  I live in SW Florida and actually drove to Hollywood FL for my surgery and paid almost double what you are.  I would like to have a few more things done, and if you give it the thumbs up I will definitely call for a consult.
Good luck, stay positive, relax, and remember your already beautiful....
Shelly

dalybenitez27
on 7/22/09 6:49 am - Orlando, FL

I will defintely post and let everyone know my experience.  I work out a lot (twice a day), so I'm anxious to see how I feel and how long it takes for me to be able to work out again.  When were you able to do at least cardio?  With the gastric bypass I was very depressed, and had all of sorts of emotional moments so I'm glad you mentioned that, I honestly hadn't thought about that part.  I am going in knowing that they are not going to look pretty at first, but that's why they made long sleeved shirts!  :) 

Jupiter6
on 7/22/09 7:20 am - Near Media, Pa- South of Philly, NJ
Up your protein to promote healing and chill on the cardio. You don't want to raise your heartrate.

My arms looked great from Jump Street-- no compression wear, in sleeveless shirts from day 1 with just tape to support the scar line. Truly no big deal, and I had a LOT removed.

At 368 pounds
 After 214 pound loss
 One week post op

"Oh sweet and sour Jesus, that is GOOD!" - Stephen Colbert  Lap RNY 7/07-- Lap Gallbladder 5/08--  
     Emergency Bowel Repair
6/08 -Dr. Meilahn, Temple U.  
 Upper and Lower Bleph/Lower Face Lift 
12/08 
     Fraxel Repair 2/09-- Lower Bleph Re-Do 5/09  -Dr. Pontell, Media PA  Mastopexy/Massive 
     Brachioplasty/ Extended Abdominoplasty 
(plus Mons Lift and Upper Leg lift) / Hernia Repair
      6/24/09 ---Butt Lift and Lateral Thighplasty Scheduled 7/6/10
 - Dr. Ivor Kaplan VA Beach

Total Cost: $33,500   Start wt: 368   RNY wt: 300  Goal wt: 150   Current wt: 148.2  BMI: 24.7

(deactivated member)
on 7/22/09 7:46 am - West Central FL☼RIDA , FL
Holy Smokes...what a difference.  You must be thrilled!!

What is this tape you are talking about? 
Kennedy12
on 7/22/09 10:47 am - Chicago, IL
Your arms look amazing! Thanks so much for sharing, my upper arms are similarly situated and can't wait to get rid of the skin and be able to fit in normal tops!

So happy for you that your results are so amazing and it went so well for you!

Jillian
Phase 1 Plastic Surgery Completed 9/9/09 with Dr. Siamak Agha.

Most Active